Art deco roofs

musky

Hi folks.

I'm building an art deco building and need help as to the roof.Its a flat roof set below the surrouding walls.What I need to find out is what type of material is used to waterproof/seal the surface,also any other roof mounted parafinaller.Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bill

This subject is pretty easy to research as there are still lots of art deco buildings around to inspect. I believe that the flatt roof was normally done with roofing felt and pitch so you would be looking for a rough texture. Wet and dry paper might work and you can choose a grade to suit your scale.

As for roof fittings these could be varied but would usually consist of ventillation equipment and possibly a fire escape if the building arrangement merited one. Here is an aerial shot of Wood Lane Dairy (a favourite art deco gem of mine ;)).

post-887-0-87286200-1293567334_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I worked in a listed Art Deco building. The roof was covered in bitumen, not the stuff used for roads but the finer stuff used for pavements (and some railway platforms). Incidently there was also a celestory in the shape of 'northern lights', this was not visible from the street.

Thanks guys. I know there are lots around,I but I just couldn't get to the roofs.

One idea is to find a building you can access that overlooks one. I don't know if you are in London but thyere are plenty of buildings like St Pauls Cathedral or even the London Eye which will give you a good panorama and should include some Art Deco buildings. Or try the BT tower (if the restaurant at the top is still open). You should be able to see down onto the roof of Senate House from there (the Big Brother building in the film version of 1984).

Or failing that the aerial photos on Bing Maps are decent for giving an overall impression.

Archived