Fitting a Sound Decoder to 60532 Blue Peter

Savoyard

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I fitted a Loksound decoder to 60532 Blue Peter and below are some pictures of how I have fitted the decoder, speaker and the wire connection between the loco and tender. I have currently loaded my Tornado project until I have time to sort a more accurate project.

post-6784-0-90322800-1293584954_thumb.jpg

Speaker in the tender, the wires are attached to a socket under the coal chute (see below)

Car tyre weights are used to replace the Bachmann fitted weights which needed to be removed to make room for the speaker.

post-6784-0-59415200-1293584955_thumb.jpg

Holes drilled in the tender chassis, I will be drilling some more holes to help the sound escape

post-6784-0-32854600-1293584956_thumb.jpg

The socket under the coal chute

post-6784-0-01240900-1293584957_thumb.jpg

The sound decoder is placed on top of the metal weight in the boiler (this can apply to any decoder)

post-6784-0-36160600-1293584958_thumb.jpg

A small hole (1.2 mm) is drilled in the cab and the speaker wire thread through it.

post-6784-0-08550400-1293584959_thumb.jpg

The hole for speaker wire in the cab (I modified the method and drilled a hole in the metal floor plate and thread the wires through that see below)

post-6784-0-77356600-1293584959_thumb.jpg

The wires are quite well hidden

post-6784-0-25607100-1293584961_thumb.jpg

Showing the wires through the floor plate and onto the tender

post-6784-0-00021800-1293584962_thumb.jpg

Another view showing the same

post-6784-0-48644900-1293584976_thumb.jpg

How the speaker wires connect from the loco to the tender

post-6784-0-13194900-1293584977_thumb.jpg

The speaker wires connected to tender socket

very nice mate!!!! im sure i have looked in the body of the loco and you could take out the weight from the boiler and put a speaker in there? but the tender is the best place for it!!!! looking forword if you can do a video of it at all?

what size speaker is that? what would look good is to get the lights on the back and front of the loco working! altho to much work! i like where you put the connetion.

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure it would be easy to fit a speaker in the boiler as it is very tight and it would mean no enclosure at the very least. The speaker is a standard Bass Enhanced from DCC Supplies, it is 40mm x 20 mm.

Having taken the time with this installation to minimise the wires I am now going to look at all my steam installations and tidy them up. The metal plate was a s**ne to drill.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I have been watching some YouTube videos of 60532 Blue Peter and I have realised how similar it sounds to Tornado so I am having a play with the Tornado project I did last year. Does 'Blue Peter' have a Westinghouse pump?

Regards,

Peter

Not that I am aware of, I worked on Blue Peter during its 92 overhaul and I do not recall a westinghouse pump.

I have listened to videos of the real Blue Peter and Howes Torndao on you-tube,to my ear the only difference is the 2 whistles. Blue Peters normal whistle is more shreeky (if that is the right word) and her chime whistle which I helped rig up behind the right hand deflector is a duller tone - hopefully she will return to the rails soon and we can get 100% accurate sound files for her.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info.

I have just uploaded a video to YouTube of the project so far (the video was still processing as I type this post).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7Ets0Jg-c

I have stripped all the User and Random sounds out of a generic ESU 4-6-2 3 Cylinder project and replaced them with authentic Tornado recordings which I have been tweeking over the weekend. I have currently included the Westinghouse Pump sound but will remove it on the the next update if it turns out that one wasn't fitted. In one sense that will be good as it will make it different from the Tornado project.

Peter

Thanks for the info.

I have just uploaded a video to YouTube of the project so far (the video was still processing as I type this post).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7Ets0Jg-c

I have stripped all the User and Random sounds out of a generic ESU 4-6-2 3 Cylinder project and replaced them with authentic Tornado recordings which I have been tweeking over the weekend. I have currently included the Westinghouse Pump sound but will remove it on the the next update if it turns out that one wasn't fitted. In one sense that will be good as it will make it different from the Tornado project.

Peter

Peter,

Firstly what a neat installation and a great video. I have a question however.

Looking at the loco on the rolling road it appears to give only 3 exhaust beat per revolution. Surely this is incorrect for a 3 cylinder engine and it should be 6 beats per revolution. If you check out the real 532 on You Tube you can verifiy this.

I'm sure it only matters at slow speed and the other sound effect are amazing.

Regards

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Thanks for your comments, unfortunately at the moment my skills don't extend to creating the chuffs etc, so I have cheated and had to rely on a Loksound 4-6-2 3 Cylinder file as the source and added my own bells and whistles so too speak. There is another Loksound 4-6-2 project I may give that a try and see if that is any better.

I have removed the Westinghouse Pump from the Blue Peter project, I will post a new video when I get time.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

here is a bit of advice from bryan at howes regards the chuff, hope it may be of some help to you:

you say you are using a German generic 3 cyl, it is not a change of soundfile you need to get the 6 shuffs you need to cheat and repeat the three you have got, there is no other way with the current ESU decoders, i suggest you try altering CVs 57 and 58 to values 45 and 34 as are on my Tornado, that should be a close match to the A2, you can fine tune and that should give you 6 chuffs to the rev up to 30mph scale, I am sure you know that but your posting suggested otherwise!!

Having studied numerous amounts of footage of all three locos plus the footage I have personally recorded I concluded that The A1, 2, and 3 whistles are almost the same peep, a pathetic sound to come from such big and elegant locos, the pitch of the peep is, as I am sure everyone will agree, dependent on the amount of steam pressure and also how the driver applies it. You can see why they put a Chime on Tornado as well!! I didnt know about a chime on Blue Peter.

give it a go, see what happens....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info and will you thank Bryan for the help. I will give it a try tomorrow.

My knowledge of creating a steam project from scratch is currently is near zero hence using the German generic project as a basis to see how it all hangs together, so it is all a learning curve at the moment so any help is gratefully received.

I have been experimenting with my Tornado project byreducing the volume of the chuffs to see if it sounds more realistic. I watched quite a few videos of Blue Peter on YouTube and I am pretty certain I heard a chime whistle, I will have to investigate again.

Regards,

Peter

I have been experimenting with my Tornado project byreducing the volume of the chuffs to see if it sounds more realistic. I watched quite a few videos of Blue Peter on YouTube and I am pretty certain I heard a chime whistle, I will have to investigate again.

Blue Peter does have a chime whistle. I was one of the people who helped rig it up, it was fitted during a visit to the KWVR I think it was 1994 cannot be sure. The whistle was located behind the right hand smoke deflector with the chord running along the piping on the boiler.

I remember it annoyed a lot of the purists as the steam coming out the smoke deflector was all wrong, which made it all the more enjoyable.

Peter,

Great job, it sounds so much better.

It really makes me want to switch over to DCC sound but I may need to save up a bit more cash first. I have a nice Hornby 8F (already converted to DCC with a chip in the tender) earmarked for my first sound loco, probably with a Howes sound chip.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I am taking Rederring to the Blackburn Carers Model Rail Exhibition next Sunday (16th Jan - details below), I will also using Blue Peter and Tornado so if you live local to Blackburn and would like to hear them in the flesh so speak, pop along and say hello.

Blackburn with Darweb Carers Services - Model Railway Exhibition

Date: Sunday 16th January 2011

Location: The Carers Centre, Oakenhurst Road, Blackburn, Lancashire BB2 1SN

Opening Times: 1030 - 1630

Admission: Adults £1.50 Concessions: £1 Children £1 Family £4

This small Model Railway Exhibition is run in aid of the Blackburn with Darwen Carers Service. Register Charity 1120110.

Layouts:

Haslingden N

Oakenhurst Central (Blackburn with Darwen Carers Serive Layout) OO

Rederring OO

Whitham Town OO

Wick End OO

Traders:

S.M.T.F Poynton

• 6 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but i'm currently fitting dcc sound to my Bachmann A1, and want to fit the speaker in the tender.

Did you have to drill a hole in the back of the loco cab or chassis to get the wires through, or are they squeezed/wedged?

Also any tips on removing the tender body, the screw seems to be inaccessible?

Or am i better off fitting a sugarcube speaker in the front end of the boiler, and if so will the sound get out of the boiler ok (or does the chimneys need drilling through?)

Archived