Maroon Observation Car

johnd

It doesn't look to be the same livery as the one on the North Wales Land Cruise, which carried a lot more decorative lining and a large cream panel.

It isn't Coachman. This is No 14 which was repainted into plain maroon with two gold linings. I've been trying to download a pic I've taken, but don't seem to be able to 'attach' any more. Is this part of the new Rmweb look?

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to download a pic I've taken, but don't seem to be able to 'attach' any more. Is this part of the new Rmweb look?

You need to select "More Reply Options" when composing your post. Then you can add attachments.

David

I'm torn between a maroon obo (on the rear of a maroon Mk1 rake would look great), or picking up a cheap 1947 Belle obo (as preserved at swanage I believe, and therefore more correct for my modelling, but yet another pullman).

What does one do about the observation end coupling. Given I like to run round trains, and given that even if operated properly, the observation car has to be shunted on and off a turntable, why is this missing, and what bodges/solutions have people come up with to its absence.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm aware that this is a bit of an old thread, but given the question above, I thought the following information may be useful.

Took delivery of my maroon observation coach this morning, and have been pondering how to get a coupling on the opposite end.  Like the post above, I am planning a terminus style layout, therefore I need the option to either shunt the observation coach onto a turntable.  With couplings at one end only, I'm a bit stuck.

After searching RMWebs archives, trying to find a replacement bogie, considering rigging up a coupling in wire, or even selling the coach on eBay, I found the following webpage published by the Eastbank Model Railway Club.

To prevent copyright, the link below is how they managed to solve the issue, and certainly looks acceptable to me:

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/obs.htm

I'll give it a try once I get hold of a X171 coupling. If anyone has a better solution, then please let me know.

• RMweb Gold

I'm aware that this is a bit of an old thread, but given the question above, I thought the following information may be useful.

Took delivery of my maroon observation coach this morning, and have been pondering how to get a coupling on the opposite end.  Like the post above, I am planning a terminus style layout, therefore I need the option to either shunt the observation coach onto a turntable.  With couplings at one end only, I'm a bit stuck.

After searching RMWebs archives, trying to find a replacement bogie, considering rigging up a coupling in wire, or even selling the coach on eBay, I found the following webpage published by the Eastbank Model Railway Club.

To prevent copyright, the link below is how they managed to solve the issue, and certainly looks acceptable to me:

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/obs.htm

I'll give it a try once I get hold of a X171 coupling. If anyone has a better solution, then please let me know.

Rather smacks of overkill to me and a Bachmann 36-026 mini coupler (long) would do a neater job.

Less obtrusive than either (and easier) would be to to just fit a wire 'goal-post' to the glazed end of the vehicle. It can be attached to the buffer beam or the bogie depending on the radius of curves it will need to negotiate when coupled at that end.  

One piece of wire, two bends, two holes, two drops of superglue. Job done. Paint or blacken to taste, tweak to desired height when glue has set.

John

Archived