Southern Railway goods sheds

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help? I am looking for a drawing or source of photos for a small / medium goods shed, ideally with covered overloading platform, i.e. wagons / track running inside shed). Needs to be about 40ft long (approx 180mm in 4mm scale), although I am quite happy to compress / modify to suit requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Not totally within your spec, but a good plan of a lovely building and with the advantage that you can go and have a look!(nice pubs in the village too!)Corfe Castle,"Southern Country Stations 1, London and South Western Railway", Robert Antell, Ian Allan, ISBN 711014205.Probably out of print but certainly seen on sale at exhibitions.

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of sounding pedantic (as if!) do you really want a Southern Railway shed - or one from a particular Pre-Grouping constituent? I'm not sure the SR actually built very many - if any, other than at "new" places like docks at Dover, Southampton, maybe.

10800 has pointed out an LBSCR example, Tim Chambers a LSWR type. Tell us the locale and someone might be able to get even closer.

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of sounding pedantic (as if!) do you really want a Southern Railway shed - or one from a particular Pre-Grouping constituent? I'm not sure the SR actually built very many - if any, other than at "new" places like docks at Dover, Southampton, maybe.

10800 has pointed out an LBSCR example, Tim Chambers a LSWR type. Tell us the locale and someone might be able to get even closer.

Thanks guys for your assistance / suggestions.

I was looking for a LSWR version - should have been a bit clearer.

There are a wide range of scale drawings available from the South Western Circle

http://www.lswr.org/core.asp?Page=39&Id=687407

and I am sure if you are in doubt as to which may be most appropriate then a quick call after the holiday season will soon have you sorted.

For a freebie, if you can find a copy, then there was a set of drawings in the March 1985 issue of Railway Modeller plus an article on modelling the same item. Possibly another RMWebber may have a copy they could help you out with.

Another vague reply from yours truely.

ISTR a recent RM* series of (water ?) coloured plans of Swanage / Corfe Castle railway buildings, including the Swanage ( ex-L&SWR) goods shed.

*Some time, last year ?.. I'll get back to you, when I find them.

Regards.

Another vague reply from yours truely.

ISTR a recent RM* series of (water ?) coloured plans of Swanage / Corfe Castle railway buildings, including the Swanage ( ex-L&SWR) goods shed.

*Some time, last year ?.. I'll get back to you, when I find them.

Regards.

Frank

Based on the original drawings in the RM about 1977 by Robin Brasher of the Isle Of Purbeck Model Railway Group;- 01929-427015 or

rbrasher@operamail.com

Guest Belgian

Drawings and photos of Brockenhurst goods shed appeared in Railway Modeller in about 1970. Sorry to be vague.

Bill

And it's still there, although it's now (or at least was a few years ago) a Pizza Restaurant - a very good one, so you can have a nice meal and see some of the features still visible inside (I think the crane is still in there).

I doubt there ever was a "standard" LSWR goods shed, they all seem to be different.

JE

Archived