Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Unusual Layout Themes

1984 ...

From a rolling stock standpoint I would focus on the most ungainly locomotives. Battered and filthy Q1s, Ivatt 4MTs (true 'mucky ducks'), etc. No thought should be given to established regions.

This dystopia also needs a Bulleid Leader! Of course then it would be the "Big Brother" class.

• 1 month later...

I've had an idea of a Megacity One style railway built on three levels.

On the ground, between, under and through the citiblocks, massive trains hauling everything from steel to radioactive waste. What open space there is would be covered in trash and dereliction.

On the middle tier, cramped passenger services transporting people between blocks for work etc. and some light freight delivering stuff to stores and things.

On the upper tier, at the exclusive end of the blocks, a gleaming 'posh' train service,more the size of trams, running with clockwork efficiency.

Also, seeing someone's 'North Pole Express' made me think of a 'Christmas-town' railway. Frieght sidings to service the toy factories. Commuter trains for the elves. You could run a mix of Scandinavian and American stock - anything that could feasibly end up on a magical line to the North Pole. All the buildings would be Christmassy and overdone - not too hard mto do, just mod some ornate European buildings into gingerbread cottages'

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone else ever thought Stonehenge is crying out for a turntable in the centre and roof a sort of twist on 'Barrow' Hill ?

On the aviation theme you could build a stealth train that manages to avoid detection by the delay system so always runs on time ;)

An Ankh Morporkian line appeals though the amount of buildings is somewhat daunting, there is the Hogswatch thread going in Layouts.

On a hugely controvesial note, you could... I mean its a possiblity and regaurdless of belief could do...

this

http://en.wikipedia....i/Breitspurbahn

Actually fairly chilling when you imagine what would be reqiured for this to emerge

ScR

I'm glad this was bought up, as it's one thing I stumbled across before and was quite intrigued with the idea behind it. Would certainly make for an interesting "alternate history" layout, perhaps set in a post war period after a close victory to the Axis. Given the amount of kits of German equipment in 1:72, it's one that could make for something different.

Jack

On a hugely controvesial note, you could... I mean its a possiblity and regaurdless of belief could do...

this

http://en.wikipedia....i/Breitspurbahn

Actually fairly chilling when you imagine what would be reqiured for this to emerge

ScR

I agree that would make for a very interesting model - 'Imperial gauge'

You could tinker with the history and say it was built earlier in the Third Reich (in time for the 1936 Olympics). Then set it after the war when the Axis were defeated. Would make for some very interesting cameos with all kinds of allied troop and armour, and captured wehrmacht armour, maybe even soem Russian stuff knocking around.

I've had an idea of a Megacity One style railway built on three levels.

On the middle tier, cramped passenger services transporting people between blocks for work etc. and some light freight delivering stuff to stores and things.

Now, if it was done as Mega City One, populating the layout would be a challenge. Apart from the presence of the Judges themselves you'd need to include the various Juve gangs, Simps, Fatties with belly wheels, Skysurfers, Batgliders, Eldsters, Muties, and Uglies as well as the 'normal' population with their often bizarre fashions. Knee pads anyone? At least there's plenty of source material.

A while ago i considered doing a layout in N in a near future city where i could transport my collection of japanese, Gundam-type robots. Was thinking of a space shuttle-style trackway with giant transporting containers to fit the robots in.

On a different note, there is a very nice 009 layout based on the construction of a dam, that use to frequent the Derby show some years ago.

• RMweb Premium

Re Stonehenge; I posted in a hurry from work yesterday, so i couldn't elaborate. The occasion was a coach tour of monuments in Wiltshire by archaeology students and diggers from an excavation. I remember coming up with the idea of a roundhouse and by the time we left our final stop, the Red Lion at Avebury, the concept had expanded into the Neolithic Railway system, linking various monuments by stone tracks (like Haytor Granite Tramway).

Pete

Just discovered this thread, and wouldn't mind an opinion here! Currently working on (by which I mean I've started working on the stock for and have an empty baseboard) a preserved line set some time in the late 80s/early 90s. Not much unusual in that, of course, except that I'm intending to model realistic preservation... By which I mean to say, in no derogatory terms, that every 'preserved line' layout I've seen to date has been a selection of steam/diesel locos on spotless blood and custard mk1s heading from well restored 1950s stations into beautiful open countryside, essentially similar to the GWR branch line layouts but with more variety in stock. Whilst this is fine if you're modelling the Severn Valley or North York Moors, I'm thinking of the other end of the scale. For the sake of diplomacy, I won't mention names, but we've all seen 'those' preserved lines... An austerity that's been the sole motive power for 7 years hauling a pair of mk2s in 'maroon' (ie bright red/pink) past rows of dead stock that will never work again in 1,000 years, to a run round loop in the middle of nowhere, possibly working T&T with a 37 covered in more filler than paint, that sort of thing. Not sure if this has been done before, at least I've never seen a layout like it?

My idea for a while has been to model something like this. My fledgeling first lay-out is a tiny marshalling yard that's been 'preserved' by some steam enthusiasts but has no real track for running. It sits on an old ironing board, and is basically a couple of sidings. It's based a preserved steam shed my Dad took me to as a kid that I was very disappointed in at the time because there were "no trains".

Loco power is a small ex-LMS pug, an 08 and the most recent acquisition - a Thompson L1 (none of which made it into preservation). Not that is matters because there's nowhere really for them to go! I want to get an Austerity saddle tank / "J94" as these seem the loco of choice for nondescript preservation sites.

Now, if it was done as Mega City One, populating the layout would be a challenge. Apart from the presence of the Judges themselves you'd need to include the various Juve gangs, Simps, Fatties with belly wheels, Skysurfers, Batgliders, Eldsters, Muties, and Uglies as well as the 'normal' population with their often bizarre fashions. Knee pads anyone? At least there's plenty of source material.

I said Megacity One style to indicate the kind of landscape. But utmost respect to you for your Judge Dredd knowledge.

Not really sure how to do the Fatties

My idea for a while has been to model something like this. My fledgeling first lay-out is a tiny marshalling yard that's been 'preserved' by some steam enthusiasts but has no real track for running. It sits on an old ironing board, and is basically a couple of sidings. It's based a preserved steam shed my Dad took me to as a kid that I was very disappointed in at the time because there were "no trains".

Loco power is a small ex-LMS pug, an 08 and the most recent acquisition - a Thompson L1 (none of which made it into preservation). Not that is matters because there's nowhere really for them to go! I want to get an Austerity saddle tank / "J94" as these seem the loco of choice for nondescript preservation sites.

Sounds very interesting! My pres line layout has taken a bit of a back seat as I've now been distracted by the prospect of an NCB layout, but still have a few shelves full of stock for the layout which may happen one day :) My wallet still hasn't recovered from Bachmann announcing that Midland compound!

I'd love to have a go. With all the Dwarf activity under Ankh, I keep wondering how long it will be before 'his Lordship' sanctions the first Underground line serving the city.

Dolly Sisters or Treacle Mine Road anyone?

Oh me too. An Ankh Mopork Underground would be a nice break from my "serious" layout (in which I try to be as faithful to GWR prototype as possible), especially because then anything on the AM Underground would be "prototypical" (although I'd feel a right 'Nana if I built one and then TP wrote a book about "the undertaking" in Ankh Mopork, giving loads of details). I reckon the trains would be powered by a "device" (see "Thud") - which means lots of square box like locos.... they could even be like Diesels :rolleyes:

OK, OK, I'll get me coat...

• 1 month later...

Oh me too. An Ankh Mopork Underground would be a nice break from my "serious" layout (in which I try to be as faithful to GWR prototype as possible), especially because then anything on the AM Underground would be "prototypical" (although I'd feel a right 'Nana if I built one and then TP wrote a book about "the undertaking" in Ankh Mopork, giving loads of details). I reckon the trains would be powered by a "device" (see "Thud") - which means lots of square box like locos.... they could even be like Diesels :rolleyes:

OK, OK, I'll get me coat...

Nah. Keep yer coat on! I think it was at the end of Thud where TP was referring to secret dwarf signs of a circle with a horizontal line though it appearing above the entrances to the mines. Logo ring any bells? I'm hoping that he was lining the series up to include something underground-ish.

Re Stonehenge; I posted in a hurry from work yesterday, so i couldn't elaborate. The occasion was a coach tour of monuments in Wiltshire by archaeology students and diggers from an excavation. I remember coming up with the idea of a roundhouse and by the time we left our final stop, the Red Lion at Avebury, the concept had expanded into the Neolithic Railway system, linking various monuments by stone tracks (like Haytor Granite Tramway).

Pete

I seem to remember a layout in the 009 news some years ago that featured a circular line running around the tops of the stones rather like a "raised track" miniature railway!

I thought of a layout set in the future when the new HS2 line opens between London & Birmingham. It would be rather good having the the High-Speed line on a bridge with either tunnels or cuttings at each end which crosses a existing main line and have it set either in The Chilterns (With Anti-HS2 Protesters on the hillside!) or in the London or Birmingham suburbs.

My proposed layout would be modelled in N Gauge and would be good as an exhibition layout.

I thought of a layout set in the future when the new HS2 line opens between London & Birmingham. It would be rather good having the the High-Speed line on a bridge with either tunnels or cuttings at each end which crosses a existing main line and have it set either in The Chilterns (With Anti-HS2 Protesters on the hillside!) or in the London or Birmingham suburbs.

My proposed layout would be modelled in N Gauge and would be good as an exhibition layout.

Presumable a modern circus train wouldn't go amiss? :mosking:

Archived