Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Unusual Layout Themes

An idea I have toyed with is a layout set in the late 1970s assuming a few hundred steam locos are still in service. The Modernisation Plan envisaged 7000 steam locos would still be in service in 1970 and the last 9Fs were intended to be retired in 1985.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold

This seems a bit normal for this thread but....

I have always fancied doing a UK version of the layouts that were (are?) in the Nuremburg transport museum and depict the same station at different points in history. Yate was my favourite for this.

Quite a lot for one person to take on but could make an interesting project for a club with each member taking on one time period.

One could add on some "in the future" versions.

HS2 might find it useful if someone built a layout to show their line.

• RMweb Gold

heyup folk,

Was just mooching around the forums and stumbled across this thread, and some the ideas are stunning. As for the SDABTA layout predicting the future is just mint when things like this turn out. Which in turns puts me in a dilemma of the forthcoming layout is set in a fake city, that Ive been torn going with BR blue large loco & large logo red stripe freight. But i also fancy my own colour scheme if i could decide what colour to use lol. Wish i could use the likes of photoshop etc but just about manage basic paint lol.

Hi Mark,

Funny you should say about a modern LNER. about 2 yrs ago i was on several uk car forums. There was a guy on 1 of the forums who use to photoshop anything for anyone, cars, trains,boats,planes, sofa`s lol you name it he could do it. But cant remember who or where and on the subject of trains old n new he did the IC 125 in many designs and well think i`ll let the pic do the talking..........

post-14408-0-77341800-1328747959_thumb.jpg

no idea who it was sorry and if i remember right he did the 125 in yellow & green aswell, could be wrong.

Ken.

Very nice. Somewhat like the PLM diesel units.

Britain joined the EEC at its inception. Worries about expansionist ideas in the eastern bloc led to a scheme to provide better transport links in the Community so that allied forces could be mobilized and provisioned more efficiently. EEC money funds the Channel Tunnel, and the electrification of the Woodhead line is extended down the GC route, across London to the south coast on a new Berne gauge line, to link up with the Dutch system which shares its 1500VDC traction system. Mighty EM3 1Co - Co1 locomotives are built at Gorton to haul Yorkshire coal and Sheffield steel to the continent.

Having just cought up with this thread, I'd like to note that there was a military railway very close to Stonehenge, and an RAF? Flying corp? airfield they wanted to demolish Stone henge as it was a hazard to Aircraft!

My Unusual layout would be if Brunel had won the gauge wars! It probably would be a preserved railway, alongside main line so I could model almost anything, Mallard or HST on 7ft anyone?

The Q

My Unusual layout would be if Brunel had won the gauge wars! It probably would be a preserved railway, alongside main line so I could model almost anything, Mallard or HST on 7ft anyone?

How about my namesake class but with all four cylinders between the frames?!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

I've just read Philip Reeve's "Starcross", a childrens' steampunk/SF novel set in an alternate 19th century. The asteroids are linked by a railway system, powered by steam. In space. Where there's no air for combustion. There's no explanation of how it works, apart from some illustrations, which show normal looking track supported by a deep, longitudinal central girder. The locos are driven normally by connecting rods and driving wheels, but in the zero gravity, with no actual up or down are held on to the track by brackets that go "down" outside the track and mount wheels that bear on a second set of rails "underneath" the track. As there's no gravity the trains go really fast. I'm not sure about that bit; if the two opposing wheelsets provide enough adhesion to grip the rails and drive the train, there must be an element of drag. It wouldn't be impossible to model though. And no, I'm not going to try!

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Soot free Mondays for washing day

Timetable in a 'Not Monday' Steam Service (pre tumble dryer era) so the ladies can hang out their washin' and know it won't be covered in soot by the time it's dry.

A thought that pop's into my head when I see such amazing layouts as Billingham which we saw at Manchester last Saturday. Beautifully done back gardens. :good: Just how I remember it 'darn sarf,' only ours backed onto an allotment though you could hear the freight trains rumbling past in the distance at night with the window open in the summer.

I was considering a working canal, moving the boats by pumping the water from end to end. However I simply do not have space for a permanent layout at home and such a layout as a portable would be a logistical nightmare (transport, making watertight baseboard joints, leveling, emptying and filling etc.).

A German friend of mine has done just this: it is a section of canal near his home in Saarbrucken where the barges were towed by small electric locos. He has one loco and one barge which runs clockwise as far as the lock at the front of the layout, the water level is lowered and the combination continues around the loop to a tunnel. In the tunnelled section there is a plain ramp that the loco drags the barge up to return it to the high (water) level. The layout is in two halves that have to have a new waterproof joint made each time the layout is shown - the answer is to use lots of mastic! The major physical problem is having enough water in the higher half of the layout to keep the canal level high enough, this is done by all the upper level scenery being on 'shelves' - the whole of the upper box is flooded but only the water in the canal actually shows in the gap between the scenery shelves. I have operated the line, it is quite a challenge but was a big hit when my friend brought it to UK for an exhibition in support of the Sittingbourne & Kemsley - at the time we were the respective twinning organisers between SKLR and Museums Eisenbahn Club Losheim. The other issue is that the water cannot be clear, Martin used to put a dose of wood dye into it.

Soot free Mondays for washing day

Timetable in a 'Not Monday' Steam Service (pre tumble dryer era) so the ladies can hang out their washin' and know it won't be covered in soot by the time it's dry.

A thought that pop's into my head when I see such amazing layouts as Billingham which we saw at Manchester last Saturday. Beautifully done back gardens. :good: Just how I remember it 'darn sarf,' only ours backed onto an allotment though you could hear the freight trains rumbling past in the distance at night with the window open in the summer.

My mother, born in Tyldesley, Lancs in '26, kept a special cloth to clean the washing line every time before she used it. Even though we lived in the heart of rural Worcestershire by then.

How about a layout of Barry scrapyard?

Hi Rod,

Search for "Woodmores" on this forum

This was completed as a diorama for last years' challenge

It also appeared in a recent magazine

The name is derived from Cashmores & Woodhams....

http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

For me, although it's a static model,

it really captures the atmosphere of Barry

a place I visited regularly as a lad

I had this thought sometime back,

but temporarily shelved the idea, as I really wanted a model with some movement,

rather than a static model

.... So I've started a thread on my next layout "Cashmores"

another atmospheric scrapyard, full of piles of rusting metal......

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58024-cashmores-the-next-layout/page__fromsearch__1

Archived