Christmas modelling.

Gordon A

For some time I have been thinking about a river wharf extension to Newbridge Sidings to give a wider operational potential.

The track plan for Newbridge Wharf has been designed using Templot for some time, and the pointwork built. The main stumbling block was that I needed to replace the single slip in Newbridge Sidings with a double slip. This would make the movement of wagons to and from the wharf extension easier.

post-7071-0-31086600-1293903128_thumb.jpg

The first double slip was three quarters built before I decided that it required to much modification of existing track, so back to the Templot board.

I then tried a system I have used in converting Horslunges from EM to P4, including easing some of the curves.

This system involves taking a digital picture of the single slip, and croping it to a known size. The picture is then imported as a background plan into Templot, which matches the picture size to the scale required.

The double slip was then planned to fit in the space of the existing single slip, making sure that it lined up with the four existing tracks, and working to a minimum radius of 42 inches. The construction took about 24 hours of slaving over a soldering iron.

post-7071-0-90173600-1293901969_thumb.jpg

As I wanted to make sure the slip would work, I pinned it to a piece of plywood, added some odd bits of track, and connected to point motors.

post-7071-0-83905900-1293902395_thumb.jpg

This has resulted in a small shunting layout in 48" x 15.5".

post-7071-0-02487800-1293902751_thumb.jpg

A Bachman 08 0-6-0 and a High Level Armstrong Whitworth 0-4-0, along with a few wagons. Now if I added a run round loop........ ?????!!

After testing with a number locos and wagons from other group members, the next job will be to give the double slip a light dusting with Halfords grey primer, lift the original single slip, and replace with the double slip.

Gordon A

Bristol

Well my Christmas modelling project is continuing into the New Year.

The test running of the double slip went well last Tuesday night. Everything from my Armstrong Whitworth 0-4-0, Tim V's Comet 2-6-0 2MT and Marks Bachman class 40 ran through with out comeing off. As did a selection of wagons fom Noel Anderson along with some wagons with just axle and wheel changes - no compensation.

So I am fairly happy to proceed.

This is the last picture of the single slip, that is to be replaced with the new double slip.

post-7071-0-17902100-1294515964_thumb.jpg

A quick check to confirm that the new slip will fit in place of the old slip without any major track surgery.

post-7071-0-31219000-1294515997_thumb.jpg

As the old slip was well glued down, and I did not want to got at the removal like an out of control bulldozer, I started by removing all the rails using my dad's trusty Henley 65 soldering watt iron. A large copper bit and bags of heat.

post-7071-0-08234600-1294516059_thumb.jpg

The next job is to remove the sleepers using a chisel. These in the main came up easier than I expected.

The surface is to be sanded with wet and dry in preperation to lay the new slip.

post-7071-0-74090000-1294516089_thumb.jpg

In between the previous operations the new slip after a trip to my shower for a wash and scrub with Cillit Bang. It is seen hear hanging to dry in preperation for a coat of Halfords primer.

post-7071-0-55609500-1294516162_thumb.jpg

The next job is to give a coat of primer followed by a light coat of sleeper colour, before joining the two base boards to gether to lay the slip.

Hopefully I can fit that in tomorrow between various other chores.

Gordon A

Bristol

The new slip received a coat of Halfords primer which was allowed to dry. I went on to give the sleepers a coat of "weathered sleeper" colour, but this turned out to be similar shade of grey to the primer, so didn't bother.

The next job was to fit the slip by triming the rails to length.

post-7071-0-47705900-1294595701_thumb.jpg

Having fitted the slip into the gap, the alignment of the four roads was checked. Three out of four appeared fine. The road that was less than a millimeter out is the one with the bulldog clip attached. The end four sleepers were unsoldered on the outer side of the curve which allowed me to slightly realign the track with the siding. Hence the bulldog clip.

The next job is to excavate some trenches for the stretcher bars and drive.

After that I will need to connect the motor drives. The old single slip only required two, but the new slip requires three.

As my points are controlled by DCC, and using route selection, my options are to use point decoders along with my prefered Fulgurex motors, or go for R/C servos and a 4 way decoder. In round figures there is not a lot of difference between either system, with the servo approach being slightly cheaper. I have found that if cheap servos are used they give a good twitch when the system is turned on.

Archived