Track cutting, what does one use?

Jewellers saw or piercing saw should be OK Link

Not sure you actually need to cut the tracks though on code 55 track.

PS.  Don't forget to order blades when ordering a saw.

How can you fit the saws between the tracks as there are 4 rails next to each other and only the inside 2 need to be cut.

Regards,

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

Smokebox's suggestion is the way to go. I'm assuming these are N gauge (code 55), so, as you say, a slitting disc is too big. 

I did my code 100 with a slitting/piercing saw quite easily, and it allows more control during the cut.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Always used a Xuron cutter myself.  They should come with the warning I was offered by the person selling me my first pair.  "Only use them to cut rail and they'll last a lifetime".  The first pair were used to cut wire, trim flash from etches and other tasks; they ended up in the bin.  The second pair has lasted me years and were cutting track ends perfectly again today.

I've seen cutting discs used very effectively.  I've also witnessed them completely destroy a length of track and therefore render a layout inoperable for some considerable time.  Xuron cutters can leave a burr but if used as per their own instructions it should be possible to achieve a square clean cut on the flat side of the tool (as intended) onto which joiners can usually be placed without any filing down.  The bevelled side of the tool is not intended to make such a clean-cut end so if both sides are required (as opposed to one end becoming scrap) then either a little filing or a swift trim of the rail ends with the cutters reversed does the trick.

Both discs and cutters work on new and laid track with a possible advantage of cutters being that it is easier to clip just the rail without snagging a moulded sleeper base on your layout track should that be required.

• RMweb Premium

I used to use a slitting disk but kept getting odd angled cuts. I've been using a Xuron cutter for some time and find it excellent but bu***ered up my first one by using it to cut wire as well. The second one is clealy labelled "rail only" and kept well apart from my other tools.

Yes I can relate to that. One day I was using mine to cut some plated brass 8BA screws, for which it did a superb job, until I attempted to cut the last one - which I discovered from the resulting chunk out of the blades, was actually STEEL. So much for them!

The melting-sleeper issue is just too much zeal.  I use an RS PCB drill which takes standard collets.  It is smaller and less powerful than a Dremel.  This makes it easier to control and doesn't heat up as much.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I Purchased a piercing saw and recommend it highly. It creates a very small cut .2 ml with a lot of control. The areas being cut are  in points between the outside rails so any other means is not possible for code 55. ie you can't tidy up the cut given the other rail in the way.

For those interested my layout is at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/. It is of the north welsh coast and will feature Conwy, Penmaenmawr and Bangor  when completed in 15 years!

Have a look. My wife and mother in law have done fantastic back scenes for Conwy and Penmaenmawr.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Archived