tamiya acrylic with Halford grey primer

Dear all,

I am building my first resin body kit.

It has been primed twice using Halford grey primer. The result was very tidy.

I would like, now to to start painting it. I was intending to use Tamiya acrylic. The problem is the paint is not staying. The acrylic is not catching resulting of very uneven coat not covering.

I am paint brushing because can not afford air brush.

Should this combination work or shall I use an other primer?

Thank you very much for help

Luc

• RMweb Premium

I have used the same combo in the past without issue. Are you just hoping to do it with one coat? I normally expect to do at least 2 - 3 coats of paint beyond the primer.

Some colours are more translucent than others, you may need to undercoat in a suitable colour to add depth and ease coverage. You don't say what colour you are trying to cover the grey with (yellow, for example, is notoriously poor at covering anything other than white or cream). Try an undercoat of white or a pale version of the main colour you are trying to finish in. E.g. pink for red top coat.

You can never stir these modern acrylics or indeed any paint too much. I use a bent brass rod in a Dremel style tool. Makw sure it is in the paint before you switch on and make sure it has stopped before removing it but don't be afraid to bring it close to the surface as well to pick up floating separated pigment. Oh, and make sure the can is secure before switching on.

Thank you all for these useful answers.

I wanted to use a flat white and an orange.

I realised that I bought clear orange instead of a "flat one". I instead bought flat primary colours and made my mix up to get the right orange.

First attempt : too much thinner added.

I uses a thicker paint and applied 4 / 5 coats and I am happy with the result. 30 min before each coat.

Thanks again

Archived