Blandford Forum

250BOB

Al

Glad the advice has helped, I too have found that it a very small amount something in order of a change from 14.2 / 14.3mm to 14.4 / 14.5mm to improve things, andn certainly ahrdly visible to the eye.

Hi Muz,

A great help infact.......my recently aquired MN Clan Line (R2169), which I hard wired eventually with a Lenz Standard chip, had been cutting out on one set of points exiting my fiddle yard......but it didnt short the whole system, and having stopped, it just started straight back up again....so I thought it was just a pick up issue. But when I run the loco over the points slowly, it stopped again, but this time didnt re start, and the whole system had shorted out. Its curious that just a momentary short was not enough to throw the whole system out...and it pointed me in the wrong direction at first too.

No other loco of mine did the same, but on tweaking the space between switch blade and stock blade on the point, the problem was cured. This indicates I have a back to back problem most likely with one of the MN wheelsets.

I shall have a close look at the wheel back to backs this evening.

Bob

• 1 month later...

It helps to have an NMRA gauge to check the back to back for clearance for larger radius turnouts. If you don't have one, and I assume they are not to common amongst 00 UK prototype modelers, you can easily cut notches in a piece of plasticard for at 14.5 mm minimum spacing. All of the wheels on my recently acquired Torrington were too tight. I managed to twist and pry them to an acceptable gauge.

best

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have just managed to get my hands on a model of Blandford Forum after a few months of debating should I or shouldnt I! I was very lucky to get one at Alexandra Palace last weekend. I am modelling BR (WR) but there is something about the Bullied Pacifics both in original and rebuilt forms. I already have Westward Ho. Anyway back on track, think the model and finish is very good, but must admit I wouldn't have noticed the valances at first but have more of a problem in that it will not run over any of my hand built C&L points. Checked the back to backs, and all the axles are around the 14.1mm mark. This is the only loco that I have had a problem with (have hard to adjust plenty of coaches and wagons) so I am awaiting delivery of a wheel puller and am about concerned about having to remove the wheels from the chassis. Should have it next week, so will let you know how I get on. Also as I am doing this drastic modification, I might aswell remove the valances at the same time.

Rob

Archived