Burniston Station by PeterH (00)

PeterH

Hullo there Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just started a layout of a fictional station on the former Scarborough and Whitby Railway. The line opened in 1885, and sadly, like so many other lines, closed in 1965. Burniston is a real town situated on the line, but it never had a station; instead being served by the nearby Cloughton Station. Not being a very experienced railway modeller I chose to model my own station. The station building is loosly based on that at Scalby Station (Fig.1s)and will be in the later BR sky blue and white colour; construction on that has not yet started. There is a small goods yard, and the main trade was in Fruit, as the nearby Burniston Nurseries sent a lot of its produce to the various markets in the North East. There is a small run-round loop in the station, used mainly as extra wagon storage and shunting purposes.

I will also have a few camping coaches in the station, although I have yet to put the platform in or the track (which will be unconnected to the main line) to hold the coaches.

As I have very limited space, the layout is on an 8x4 board and is housed in my bedroom.

Figs.1:Scalby Station - Images taken from J.Robin Lidster's 'The Scarborough and Whitby Railway

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/PeterHHodge/DSCF3489.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/PeterHHodge/DSCF3485-1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/PeterHHodge/DSCF3487-1.jpg

At the moment, all that I have done is to have lain the track and underlay Figs.2 (please note that the photos were taken before I had decided upon having the loop in the station. I have also started on the guide/check rails for the curves Figs.3.

Figs.2:General overview of the layout (without passing loop). The station will be on the right hand side of the goods yard.

BurnistonStation6thJanuary2010001.jpg

BurnistonStation6thJanuary2010002.jpg

BurnistonStation6thJanuary2010003.jpg

Figs.3:The guide/check rails on my rather tight curves!

3717010.jpg

3717012.jpg

3717011.jpg

Locomotives & Rolling Stock

I run a vast array of Locos and Rolling Stock - I buy what I like the look of! Although in saying that I do have a few locos which, when renumbered, would have run on the S&WR. My primary interest is the LNER (obviously!), followed by the SR, then GWR and finally LMS. The most recent locomotive to join the fleet is City of Truro in its current 3717 guise Figs.4. It is my third model I've had of Truro. The first had no lining, the second had a slightly melted tender, so I have been 'third time lucky'!

The next items I am thinking of getting are the Gresley Suburban Coaches (when they are released) and the B17 in LNER Green (bogey green as my friend calls it, much to my annoyance, but he has a point...)

Figs.4New purchase, 3717. I painted the crew myself. Not too bad for a first attempt methinks!

3717008.jpg

3717009.jpg

3717002.jpg

3717001.jpg

Fig.5A G2a, just for larks!

BurnistonStation6thJanuary2010004.jpg

My entire locomotive fleet can be found on my website:Burniston Station

I hope you have enjoyed looking at my layout thus far! The next job is to put a guide/check rail on the other side. After that I think I shall have to get on with installing point motors and creating a diagram board thingy...

Peter R. Hodge

Hello Peter, how did you do the check rail? It looks very neat.

Is it sectional track? If it is I gyess you used rail from a piece which is pre curved.

Would be interested as have some to do here!

The check/guide rail was made from a spare bit of flexi-track I had. I simply bent it around a pencil to create the curve. I then pinned it with track pins to secure it in the correct position. I should be doing the other curve today - with any luck! I have also had a little issue with one the the securing track pins which is causing derailments. Should be an easy thing to get around hopefully.

hey peter nice to see you here

Progress is coming along nicely, look forward to seeing how it comes along, good to see you new truro looks good i hope you have a bit more luck with that one.

Thanks for the welcome Matt! Truro is going very smoothly at the moment, which is a relief!

Hello all!

Today has been spent mainly fixing a few electrical issues, installing the second check/guide rail and creating the station platform. The platform was a ###### to do, what with some of the platform on the curve meaning I had to deal with over-hang issues from the coaches. Naturally the platform is in its early stages, so it should improve in time!

N.B. The Crimson and Cream coach is there to show the location of where the camping coach will go when I've completed it.

Burniston9thJanuary2011001.jpg

Burniston9thJanuary2011008.jpg

Burniston9thJanuary2011006.jpg

Burniston9thJanuary2011005.jpg

Burniston9thJanuary2011004.jpg

Burniston9thJanuary2011003.jpg

Such a ###### was the platform to do, I needed serious sustenance after I finished it!

Burniston9thJanuary2011007.jpg

Hello all,

I went to the St. Albans MRE this weekend, it was an alright exhibition, although I didn't enjoy it as much as others I have been to; however I did find a copy of my cousins new book:

'STEAM MEMORIES 1950'S & 1960'S NO.35: Scarborough' by Ron Hodge.

I bought a few scenic bits and bobs whilst I was there as well, and I'll be cracking on with the layout sometime on either Monday or Tuesday, and for the rest of the week thereafter.

I also got me two new wagons, one a Dapol Private Owner Coal Wagon, and the other an LNER/BR 10T Fish Van with Insulated Body and Recessed Doors. The latter is a Parkside Dundas kit which I constructed today, having fallen in love with 'Plastic Weld' type glue, it works brilliantly and sticks immediatly! The Fish Van needs painting, have its couplings fitted and transfers applied.

Here they both are.

StAlbansMREetal15thJanuary2011017.jpg

StAlbansMREetal15thJanuary2011016.jpg

StAlbansMREetal15thJanuary2011014.jpg

StAlbansMREetal15thJanuary2011015.jpg

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Not much physical progress with the layout unfortunatly; other than sorting out a few electrical issues and adding a blackened surface to the station platform (no photos of that yet I am afraid). At the moment I am cutting strips of Wills brickwork to stick to the edges, although PVA isn't strong enough for the job, so I will have to find me something a tad more powerful. Once that is done, I can get on with the edging tiles.

Also, I have overcome a coupling issue. As a some of my locos are now screw-linked, and my coaches aren't, I naturally haven't been able to combine the two. So I have invented my own type of coupling! Basically it is an trimmed upside-down tension hook coupling fixed in place. It is rather discreet and is fautless! It is also cheap!

Hodge-BodgeCoupling002.jpg

In other news, I have come across this rather nice wagon. Its origin is a mystery. Certainly not one of mine. A kit-built job I found in my box one day. Lucky find, especially as it is in my modelling region!

LNER8T3-plankwagon002.jpg

LNER8T3-plankwagon001.jpg

I have a video of a running session at my local club, the South West Herts MRS.

Also today, I have got some stronger glue, and have been gluing the Wills brick plasticard to the side of the platform; I am a third of the way there. Photos to follow.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a bit of a break from railway modelling recently. I was going through one of those phases of not being interested in it - fortunately I am back in the swing of things!

Recently I have put some brick facing on my platform, and edging tiles; as well as doing a little bit more on the station. Unfortunately no photos of that at the moment.

I have also been building up my fish train. I bought two more Parkside Dundas LNER/BR 10T Insulated Fish Vans (with recessed doors. The transfers sheet I bought to use on the first of my wagons had enough tranfers for two more wagons; which I bought. Naturally I messed up on them and now haven't got any transfers for the last wagon (which I haven't yet built). Oh well, nil desperandum. I also bought a Bachmann BR 10T Fish Van. Over time I hope to have a complete fish train!

I have also tried my hand at weathering a few locos, namely my K3 and G2. It went well, although the photos below don't do them justice! Apologies for the mess on the layout as well. At the moment it is doubling for a work desk...

Burniston25thFebruary2011002.jpg

Burniston25thFebruary2011001.jpg

Burniston25thFebruary2011003.jpg

Thanks! That was the image I was trying to create; although an Apple Green K3 on BR white fish vans probably never occured - it does look good if I do say so myself! I must get a few more wagons and make it even longer!

I have just completed a job I was dreading - adding the roof to the bay window. I have nearly completed it, just need to add some grey strips of paper to the joins to create some lead lining.

BurnistonStationFront.jpg

It's just about possible, if not that plausible. The Bachmann K3 1992 (that's a 1946 number) is wearing her post-war LNER green livery. The recessed door fish vans were initially converted from LNER diagram 134 vans in early late LNER/ early BR days, so you're not that far away from each other in date...

Will

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been slow and ongoing. I've now nearly finished the platform and I am still doing bits to the station building itself, although I left the lid off of my Plastic Weld bottle and subsequently it has all evaporated! Whoops! I shall need another bottle to continue work on it. I am in a position to start assembling part of it.

Some new additions to the layout as well. At Ally Pally I bought the 'Fireworks at Chilcompton' set, comprising of Spamcan 34042 'Dorchester' in BR E/C with two Ex-LMS Stanier 3rd Class Composites and one 3rd Class Brake.

I also bought a Bachmann Jubilee No.5563 'Australia' in LMS Crimson Lake with Fowler Tender. This was a cheap return to Bachmann, as it was missing a drawbar. I picked it up for £50 and made one myself out of a strip of tin can - runs very well.

First off for photos is the West Country 34042 'Dorchester' from the Fireworks at Chilcompton set.

Burniston28thMarch001.jpg

Burniston28thMarch002.jpg

Burniston28thMarch003.jpg

Next up is LMS Jubilee 5563 'Australia' with Fowler Tender.

Burniston28thMarch004.jpg

Burniston28thMarch005.jpg

Burniston28thMarch006.jpg

The new Stanier Ex-LMS coaches from Hornby, also from the Fireworks set. No light inbetween the coaches!

Burniston28thMarch007.jpg

And finally a general overview.

Burniston28thMarch008.jpg

Both locos still need real coal added, I've just coaled up that Atkinson & Prickett wagon but didn't get around to the tenders today. I also need to paint and add a crew to the WC, a job which takes several days what with the different colours and the requirement to let each colour dry first before adding another...

Archived