BR (ex LMS) 50ft full brakes

sjp23480

• RMweb Gold

I have just ordered two of these from Rails - at ??14.50 each they seemed like good value.

Whilst its a bit late now - :wacko: Does anyone have an opinion on these models - are they a good representation of the prototype, etc....

Thanks,

Steve

With the Hornby equivalent on offer at over twice the price of the Bachmann van you pays your money and takes your choice. It would be interesting to know how big the production run of each is and what volume has been shifted in six months time. In a parcels train the Bachmann might pass muster but tacked on to a train of more modern Mk 1s or Staniers then it would look a bit out of place.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys - definitely the newly delivered Bachmann from Rails - Hattons also have them in stock - but Rails is the best price I have seen.

As noted there is considerable price difference - but you pays your money.....I guess?

Steve

I've tweaked a second hand one for a parcels van and been pleased with the result

post-80-12579798781725_thumb.jpg

The main improvement was SE Finecast glazing and new Hornby metal wheels . plus weathering. If you dig into the depths of the stuff I copied off my old workbench thread onto my workbench blog you'll find a blow by blow account (posting dated June 2nd 2008 and following..)

It may not be as good as Hornby , but with a little work it can look pretty respectable

I would have to say that the solebar is the worse feature of this model and always was. I've still got an early one (with the see-through torpedo vents!) where I sawed the surface off but never full got round to thinning everything back so I could remount it set further in.

It actually represents a slightly later build than the Hornby model, without the two horizontal strapping lines at window level (some lost these, sometimes partially, in later years), so if you could improve the underframe enough, the bodies won't have to exactly match.

Archived