May I ask a question about this layout please...?

SIR DUBALOT

Hello everyone I wondered as Im new to model railways if I could post up a picture of a proposed layout for shunting that I plan to incorporate on an upper lever on my layout that I am currently constructing please? I would be very interested in what peoples thoughts and comments are on this as if its not suitable, Id want to change things now to maximise the operational enjoyment. Im using oo gauge and the space is approx 7ft by 18 inches. My era is 1980's so the locos I will be using here are class 08's.

Here is a picture.

Shunt6-1.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Best regards

Willy.........................

• RMweb Gold

Couple of things first it might be worth starting a thread on the main layout in the layouts section as an introduction so people know what type of stock and era you are modelling. Also you can then add this on as part of it so people can comment on it as a whole railway.

Right now first impression is ok operationally track wise but you don't appear to have much room for industries for your sidings to serve. The second reverse to 'fiddleyard' also appears to have little benefit as it requires a double reverse shunt to access it from the mainline and would restrict use of a siding to leave access open. Now if the Fy was an entrance to a complex and the sidings facing it are the transfer sidings it might work better as a story to justify what you have drawn.

So hope that helps but consider a full thread with more info so people can give you more feedback appropriate to your thoughts without leading you off at too many tangents ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of things first it might be worth starting a thread on the main layout in the layouts section as an introduction so people know what type of stock and era you are modelling. Also you can then add this on as part of it so people can comment on it as a whole railway.

Right now first impression is ok operationally track wise but you don't appear to have much room for industries for your sidings to serve. The second reverse to 'fiddleyard' also appears to have little benefit as it requires a double reverse shunt to access it from the mainline and would restrict use of a siding to leave access open. Now if the Fy was an entrance to a complex and the sidings facing it are the transfer sidings it might work better as a story to justify what you have drawn.

So hope that helps but consider a full thread with more info so people can give you more feedback appropriate to your thoughts without leading you off at too many tangents ;)

Im at a bit of a loss as to where to post this topic, Ive looked in the layout section however Im a bit confused and I dont want to post it in the wrong section, any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Willy.................

• 1 month later...
Guest stuartp

As drawn, it looks operationally interesting to shunt. However, 'operationally interesting' on a model equates to 'complete pain in the neck' on the prototype when it's raining and everyone wants to get home, or at least back to the bothy. Everything arriving has to be drawn into the headshunt before it can be put anywhere else. If you reverse the crossover between points 8 and 9 so that it runs the opposite way between 12 and 9, you've still got the headshunt for sidings 3/4/5 if you need it but you can shunt the whole yard from the main line if you want to and there is nothing else due.

As drawn it looks very much like the rationalised/truncated remains of something else. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's very typical of the 1980s and it gives you scope to suggest that there was once much more there, for example by having sidings 1 and 2 as the remains of a former through route with lifted trackbeds visible. Somebody on here has done that with a yard layout (El Davo ? it's the BR blue yard set somewhere in central Scotland) with a partly lifted siding and it looks very effective.

I like Paul's ideas of the factory complex and transfer sidings too.

As drawn, it looks operationally interesting to shunt. However, 'operationally interesting' on a model equates to 'complete pain in the neck' on the prototype when it's raining and everyone wants to get home, or at least back to the bothy. Everything arriving has to be drawn into the headshunt before it can be put anywhere else. If you reverse the crossover between points 8 and 9 so that it runs the opposite way between 12 and 9, you've still got the headshunt for sidings 3/4/5 if you need it but you can shunt the whole yard from the main line if you want to and there is nothing else due.

As drawn it looks very much like the rationalised/truncated remains of something else. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's very typical of the 1980s and it gives you scope to suggest that there was once much more there, for example by having sidings 1 and 2 as the remains of a former through route with lifted trackbeds visible. Somebody on here has done that with a yard layout (El Davo ? it's the BR blue yard set somewhere in central Scotland) with a partly lifted siding and it looks very effective.

I like Paul's ideas of the factory complex and transfer sidings too.

Stuart

Many thanks for your reply I appreciate it, Im fairly new to model railways so Im not 100% when you say "reverse the crossover". I do like your idea for the partly lifted siding and will try to locate the thread you have mentioned, thanks for your help.

Willy................

Guest stuartp

Im not 100% when you say "reverse the crossover".

You're welcome. Like this:

post-270-0-83787600-1299870925_thumb.jpg

I've drawn it towards the right hand end - you could equally replace points 8 with another double slip and use that for one end. Having drawn it I'm not sure which version I'd prefer ! Siding one is just begging for a rag bag collection of engineer's stock to be dumped in it though ...

i'm like any other person that likes an interesting layout, but theres too much going on there. having 5 sidings is okay, but you could reduce siding 2 into just a headshunt for the loop which would also give some room for industries as other people have said, and move the loop to the centre (just above where it is now) and connect all the sidings, the fiddle yard and mainline branches to it.

it would still be an interesting layout but it wouldnt be tiresome, lets say you had to get from siding one to siding five, that would be so awkward but not with my proposed improvements.

but remember it is YOUR layout and you dont have to do anything we say.

sir.D

Guest stuartp

I beg El Davo's pardon, the layout I'm thinking of was Longcarse West by Waveydavey. (I got the 'Dav' bit right !).

Page 1, second pic down, here.

• RMweb Premium

Continuing Stuart's theme, here's the remains of a set of exchange sidings off a loop on a double track line. As was quite common, the loop had trailing access from both main lines, crossing one of them using a diamond - actually a single slip here as a second crossover was incorporated. With rationalisation, parts of the loop and the main lines have been retained to give a runround, using the original pointwork to save money. The single slip has disappeared however, which will save you money.

post-6813-0-20919700-1299885762_thumb.gif

Archived