Another van to identify

DonB

My bet would be horsebox as well as it looks like the end viewable is the grooms compartment but I can't find anything with the end window. But, it definitely isn't a beetle.

Guest dilbert

Browsing the "Railways of Warwickshire" site, I saw this Photo.

http://www.warwicksh...r/gwrhd725c.htm

Can anyone identify the van centre front of the picture? It appears to have a window in the end and a small window in the side near the end, the rest of the side appears to be planked, perhaps doors?

A horse box or prize cattle van?

I would be more inclined to go for a GW Dia CC design from the wagon index - a CC1 Workshop van ...dilbert

I would be more inclined to go for a GW Dia CC design from the wagon index - a CC1 Workshop van ...dilbert

Thats why I couldnt find it in J.H Russel's GW Coaches/ brown vehicles.

Dilbert

Although my inclination is that it is a workshop van I disagree it is CC1 as these were like an iron mink (see http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p60475844.html) . This van only has a window (or door) towards the right hand end, whereas the CC1 had two windows (this is in the side). The roof profile is more like the later bigger tool vans (as http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p504902.html ) but none illustrated in Tourret are the same. I don't suppose the book is complete (the diagram book certainly isn't as it doesn't have the big tool vans).

I think the suggestion it is horsebox is a possibility, certainly it looks as though it had large doors towards the centre and left end and a grooms compartment at the right. Those horizontal bars are very like those on horse box doors and the end clearly has steps which are present on some of the GWR horseboxes (for servicing oil or gas lights I think). I suspect it predates those illustrated in Russel (could be an N10 as it is not possible to see the end of Fig 497 in Russel, J. H. (1984 reprint 2001) Great Western Coahces Appendix Volume 2 Specific duty coaches and the brown vehicles . Oxford Publishing Co. Oxford, SBN 86093 154 4

Perhaps John Lewis could help?

Paul Bartlett

Guest dilbert

Although my inclination is that it is a workshop van I disagree it is CC1 as these were like an iron mink (see http://gallery6801.f.../p60475844.html) .

hmrspaul,

Having had a closer look at the photo I am also inclined (as PenrithBeacons points out) to question whether this vehicle is in fact of GW origin - agree it isn't the CC1, but the roof profile does look strange if that of a GW Horsebox (of course it could be a misfit)... dilbert

Shape of the roof looks LSW. Anybody got Gordon Weddell's books?

Only Vol 1 and it's not in there - But the frontispiece photo of Windsor Castle is mine...... so that's why I have Vol 1.

I have a 1987 book listing all known 'available' drawings of LSWR Stock, but all the references are so old as to be 'unhelpful' to most of us here.

Shape of the roof looks LSW. Anybody got Gordon Weddell's books?

Regards

I still think it is an early GWR horsebox in departmental use. The roof profile is like several vans illustrated in John Lewis's article about GWR horsebox traffic in GWR Journal Autumn 2010 (no., 76) such as page 220 - 1st van described as a possibly N7 which has the same roof profile and the lower picture on page 224 which John does not try to identify to diagram but seems very similar - position of window on right hand of the side, roof rainstrip, similar roof profile. Another part of this article is yet to be published.

I don't think we should overlook that from the age of the photo we could easily be looking at a vehicle originally built in the 1880s or 1890s and I certainly know of no publication which has covered these early NPCS.

Paul Bartlett

Archived