If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello fellow modellers

Neill

I've just registered and thought I'd introduce myself.

I model in 7mm Finescale, I don't have a layout though at present. I mostly build etched brass kits, currently I'm nearing completion of a David Andrews curved frame County and next up will probably be the Mitchell Castle thats been lurking on the shelf for too long.

I guess that this gives away I'm biased to GWR, but actually I'm interested in all railway companies and primarily in the pre-grouping era.

I live in Welwyn Garden City and when I'm not in the workshop I will be gardening or walking the dog, plus of course working!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil

Welcome aboard - do let us see some photos of your models. If what you see on here doesn't inspire you to move to building a layout, then nothing will.

Stewart

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I've made a few posts and hope to do a lot more.

I will need to get some photos up for you, model production is a bit slow though (work gets in the way!!) so please don't expect too much. I'm going to tidy the workshop up and take a few photos of that as well.

I've seen enough on the site to know that Stewart is right about layout inspiration, but it's not actually that or enthusiasm for building a layout I lack. The reality is twofold. Firstly it's a simple matter of space, although I could do something to convert the remaining two thirds of the garage (it's a double and one third is the workshop), so thats a bit feeble as excuses go.

Secondly though I know myself, and my layout history when I was younger. It's simply that running a layout is not that compelling to me. I have a local club with a great "O" gauge layout, and I have had the privilege of helping Ray Hammond (of original Protofour fame) operate his layout at his home, it's all very enjoyable but the truth is I like being in the workshop building models more. One day maybe, but while time is limited I will stick to my loco's, plus the occasional Slaters panelled coach when I'm feeling masochistic and fancy going boss-eyed with the lining pen :blink:

Archived