Hornby Class 59 DCC Start Up

martin_l_jones

I have recenrtly upgraded a Class 59 by adding a Hornby decoder and Express Model Lights to it.

However it sounds terrible when it starts up, sounds like it grinding, probably an electrical resistance or something ?

Sounds and runs fine once its got upto a steady speed, its the same with or without wagons..

Here it is...

Hi martin_l_jones,

firstly, ouch!! Definitely try it with just DC (fit the jumper plug back in) and run it on DC (i.e. not loco '00' on DCC). If the problem disappears, then it could be the decoder settings. If there is back-emf employed, try reducing the level of feedback (or switch it off completely). I have found a loco can run really badly if it is set too strong. However, I suspect it's mechanical, so running on DC should show it still happens. It sounds like gears racing over each other, so maybe during the installation of the lights, something got knocked.

Did you try the loco before installing the lights?

Good luck with your findings and correcting the problem. If you get the chance, can you grab a photo of the front, with the lights switched on?

Cheers,

Ixion.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Firstly, I suggest you run it on DC to see if the problem persists.

If that's not the problem, I suggest fitting a Bachmann 36-553 8-pin chip instead. I've found these Hornby motor bogies consume very little current and the Bachmann chip can be tuned better because it has more functions you can change than the R8249 Hornby chip, to allow it to run smoothly.

The key CV to alter is CV 49 (BEMF). Programme the value as 0 rather than 1, as it would otherwise stop and start like a jackrabbit. 0 switches off the BEMF (back EMF)

I've found these motors fitted with Bachmann's chips run quieter especially on starting, I had the same issues with Hornby's chips when I first got into DCC, including sounds like I heard on your video.

I always run the locos in fully on DC before the decoder is fitted, it ran fine using a gaugemaster controller.

I always seem to have the same issue with Hornby locos including the Class 156's and 153's I purchased, never have a problem with Bachmann locos.

Its definately not any mechanical issues because the loco is not moving and the noise is apparent.

Do Hornby decoders have back emf programmed in them ?

The lights and front end detail finish the loco off really well, as can be seen below.

Pity I didn't retrofit a Bachmann Class 66 chassis really..

As requested a photo for Ixion..

a043.jpg

Hi,

Firstly, I suggest you run it on DC to see if the problem persists.

If that's not the problem, I suggest fitting a Bachmann 36-553 8-pin chip instead. I've found these Hornby motor bogies consume very little current and the Bachmann chip can be tuned better because it has more functions you can change than the R8249 Hornby chip, to allow it to run smoothly.

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look at the CV's on the Hornby sheet, I couldn't use a Bachmann decoder as it only has three functions, you need four for the lights.

I HAVE POSTED IT THE DCC FORUM WHICH IS THE CORRECT PLACE FOR IT

Hi martin_l_jones,

firstly, thanks for the photo of the front end. Those centre lights certainly bring the character alive!! I think I may be tempted to get a light set too.

Glad to hear it's not mechanical - at least DCC things are generally solveable and not part of the base model. I'm not sure about the settings for Hornby decoders - I tend to use Digitrax/Lenz/Bachmann. However, a Hornby DMU railcar (similar motor, I gather) ran roughly, until I reduced the strength of the emf. Hopefully someone on the DCC forum will be able to help.

Cheers and good luck,

Ixion.

Archived