Crossing Wiring

Julia

• RMweb Gold

The usual method is to feed through the two obtuse crossings and to isolate the two frogs which will need switching this can usually best be done in connection with the points leading to the crossing. An alternative if you are using DCC is to use a Hex frog juicer which will switch the frogs automatically. Note needs two the six as the two frogs will always be at opposite polarity.

I will dig out a diagram.

Don

The usual method is to feed through the two obtuse crossings and to isolate the two frogs which will need switching this can usually best be done in connection with the points leading to the crossing. An alternative if you are using DCC is to use a Hex frog juicer which will switch the frogs automatically. Note needs two the six as the two frogs will always be at opposite polarity.

I will dig out a diagram.

Don

What do I do about isolation of the check rails? where do the isolation cuts fall?

What do you mean by a "hex frog juicer" ?

Thanks

J

• RMweb Gold

I can't see your photo the link doesn't work for me but I assume you are using copperclad construction. The cuts need to be made downbetween the two tracks. Either down the centre or close to one edge. There will need to be a cut in the rail between the obtuse and acute crossings. The check rails are the same polarity as the adjacent rail. Aditional cuts are made in the rails leading to the acute frog. I will draw this up and post later. The acute frogs need to have the polarity switched as the rails opposing rails cross. The two obtuse frogs do not need to be switched as the two rails should be the same polarity.

The Hex frog juicer is a us made device that runs on DCC systems it contains 6 auto reversers. When one of these is connected to a frog it will detect any short before the command centre can react and swap the polarity. The reason I suggested this is that in itself a crossing has not moving parts hence nothing to connect a switch to. Either you have to link it to points either side of the crossing or switch it manually or use an auto reverse if you use DCC.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I can't see your photo the link doesn't work for me but I assume you are using copperclad construction. The cuts need to be made downbetween the two tracks. Either down the centre or close to one edge. There will need to be a cut in the rail between the obtuse and acute crossings. The check rails are the same polarity as the adjacent rail. Aditional cuts are made in the rails leading to the acute frog. I will draw this up and post later. The acute frogs need to have the polarity switched as the rails opposing rails cross. The two obtuse frogs do not need to be switched as the two rails should be the same polarity.

The Hex frog juicer is a us made device that runs on DCC systems it contains 6 auto reversers. When one of these is connected to a frog it will detect any short before the command centre can react and swap the polarity. The reason I suggested this is that in itself a crossing has not moving parts hence nothing to connect a switch to. Either you have to link it to points either side of the crossing or switch it manually or use an auto reverse if you use DCC.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Here is the diagram I promised. I suspect your problem is you wanted to keep the pieces of rail running between the acute and obtuse frogs as a solid piece. Trying to do so gives problems with isolatiing the different polarities and would cause problems with wheels shorting out. I know its a bit tight in H0e puting a gap in the rail makes the whole thing work better.

post-8525-0-44902100-1295652811_thumb.jpg

post-8525-0-44902100-1295652811_thumb.jpg

The Hex frog juicer is a us made device that runs on DCC systems it contains 6 auto reversers. When one of these is connected to a frog it will detect any short before the command centre can react and swap the polarity.

The Frog Juicer is now available in Mono, Dual and Hex versions, with one, two and six outputs respectively.

Special versions of each are available for the NCE PowerCab (because of reliability "issues"). They're the same price as the regular versions.

These are not needed for the normal PowerPro.

Archived