Brighton Modelworld 2011

witherbrow

From the Brighton Modelworld web site: In 1978 admission to the event cost 50p or 25p for children.

Hmm! So they used to offer half price admission for children.

Advance ticket prices for Trainwest 2011 are adult £5, child £2, under-fives FREE. We have just started a local leaflet drop which offers family (2+3) admission for £10.

Younger visitors don't come on their own. You may as well give them a big discount because their parents (or grandparents) will still be paying. One free child bringing a paying adult gives you the same revenue as an adult on their own!

Geoff Endacott

Check out the Hornby website and ref R383 - Gordon the Blue Engine at £100.25. If this is encouraging youngsters into the hobby, then the entry price for your nipper is a bargain... I think you have a better chance of 'negotiating' a reasonable entry fee for your son... dilbert

£110.25 actually. That's £50 more than the Railroad Flying Scotsman.

I think you'll find that HIT takes a rather large chunk of the price in licensing fees.

Sorry Andrew, but I know for a fact that is not the case. And anyone who cares to look at the price differences between the models in the Hornby T&F range, and the comparable Railroad models, will understand this too.

Further - as a vested interest, I note that the HiT license fee has risen this year - but not by the proportion that makes a Hornby Gordon £110.25.

If it had risen by that great a proportion, the rest of the T&F merchandise in other areas would show similar signs of price rises - and guess what? They haven't.

Let the facts speak for themselves, and logic dictate this one.

As dear 'ol Maggie used to say, you can't buck the market. If you consider the price excessive, you can bet your life others think the same way too.

As for certain toy locos being too expensive for kiddies, surely as modellers you could knock something up for little Sam or Samantha that would be utterly convincing to them. Afterall, kiddies believe a wee blue slate quarry Hunslet is 'Thomas Bach' on a line near here!:D

As shows go it is not exactly offering much for the money. Especially when compared to the other shows that are on that weekend - which seem to be rather a lot to choose from. I don't think it helps being very diverse "modelling" - I have enough to do coping with the variety of 2, 3, 3.5, 4, 7mm to the ft and in multiples of various gauges to have much time (or brain capacity) left for some of the other exhibits.

Is it a case of not seeking large numbers of punters but just fleecing the few?

The Daleks and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang were good though.

And some bargains from the Signal Box there today (note Dapol and Heljan Class 86's under £70.00).

An interesting 'twelve inch to the foot' prop outside the venue.

Finally the name of the layout 'Broke Brick Mountain' was rather an interesting variation on the title of a fairly recent film.

Two days survived with a still functioning layout. Kev has taken control of the front-of-house (the shunting yard control) and has had queues of children wanting to 'play trains'. This is what, four years ago, I envisaged as the 'ultimate' layout and I am pleased that it has proved so successful and it is giving me a terrific buzz. Yes, we have had people complaining about it, not to our faces I hasten to add, but I can now just ignore them and leave them to their sterile, spotlessly clean layout which is their thing and I accept it.

The two operators at the rear of the layout control 4 short fiddle sections each and have a wide range of rolling stock items to make up preserved trains which run around two loops with a 2 metre running length visible across the front of the layout. Towards the end of the day this has led to some 'interesting' combinations including, today, two Terriers taking POVs and a few other mixed wagons totalling 31 including a Toad on the back! It will be a long, long day tomorrow as the Brighton Half marathon means parking at the racecourse for the 0740 or 0800 bus will mean an early start and a late finish after packing up and taking the layout back-to-base. Hope any one who saw the layout today or yesterday wasn't disappointed.

Truin

Hmmm a mixed show! Took boys there as promised (would rather have tried Watford a second time)... but wifee said we do this one. Not as much to entertain as previous years..., but I suppose they have to entertain the masses. Yes nice to see the RHDR Green Goddess... but I think Chitty Chitty BB was a bit lost on the boys... where's the wings then? Maybe a film poster to explain would've helped - didn't see one! 5 BEL outside - Part of the event or just abandoned at the side of the road - hard to tell really.

I hope those involved had a good time... it all seemed to go ok - from what was observed... but as to whether it worth the entry fee.... no. Will we go next year.. sorry, no. To charge that must for kids is not going to encourage parents to show their kids what they could do... attendance certainly seemed down on previous visits.

@Jon020

Sorry you were disappointed with Modelworld this year, not actually getting off the layout much and wandering round I can't comment on the quality of the show. But I know we had bundles of fun on OAKLEY as we were rarely without a queue of children wanting to have a go at operating the shunting yard at the front of the layout. and it has to said the girls were far better on the control than the boys were (girls had a delicate touch and boys wanted to go at 90mph :lol: ).

Kev

@Jon020

Sorry you were disappointed with Modelworld this year, not actually getting off the layout much and wandering round I can't comment on the quality of the show. But I know we had bundles of fun on OAKLEY as we were rarely without a queue of children wanting to have a go at operating the shunting yard at the front of the layout. and it has to said the girls were far better on the control than the boys were (girls had a delicate touch and boys wanted to go at 90mph :lol: ).

Kev

Kevin,

Not sure how we missed Oakley - or did we..? my boys both had a go on one layout driving the trains around... a 4'x12' layout, and they enjoyed that - I hada nice short chat with a chap out the front too - - but no shunting. Kept my eye out - but sorry I miised you...

Kevin,

Not sure how we missed Oakley - or did we..? my boys both had a go on one layout driving the trains around... a 4'x12' layout, and they enjoyed that - I hada nice short chat with a chap out the front too - - but no shunting. Kept my eye out - but sorry I miised you...

Jon,

If the one that your boys had a go on had a 'Thomas' going clockwise round the inner track that was the Bognor Regis club's layout, OAKLEY was the N gauge layout about 20 feet away across the room.

Kev

@Jon020

Kev

Was that you at the front? I came past and had a look but you were busy.

Was that you at the front? I came past and had a look but you were busy.

I was out the front of the layout for most of the show (easily recognised by the black top and trousers, glasses, black/grey beard and a bit of a podge) so it was possible that it was me your saw; and yes it was busy for most of the time, in fact I think the record was a queue of 9 kids waiting their turn on the controls.

Archived