Somewhere Different for the Railway

28XX

Many new-ish houses built in what I think is known as the post-modernist style, (say after 1990) have garages which have their own loft spaces. These are unlikely to have a high enough ridge to stand up in and are probably not strong enough to crawl about in, but:

Arrange some collapsible staging on the garage floor so that when you stand on it, your head and shoulders are above the joists. Mount the baseboards directly to the joists. Do your modelling in sub-assembies at a remote work bench, then fit them to the baseboards.

After a building or running session, collapse the staging and put the car(s) back in.

I have one such garage and it's an interesting idea but you'd need to store the staging somewhere in the garage - probably lined up against the wall... where you could store a portable layout. Also, it's only worth doing if you want a fair sized layout up there, in which case you either need to drag the staging around for when you want to get to various parts or have staging for the entire layout which would be a construction project in its own right! Plus you’d need to stand up all the time, and it’s cold. Do you leave the stock up there all the time or take it on and off for each session?

You could do a fairly simple roundy with a single operating station that offers a ground-level view across a layout as the trains trundled past.

I use the space in the roof of my garage for my portable layouts that I can take down and work on/operate in the warm house :)

I contemplated various garage options for years but eventually gave up the idea due to the cold and the damp issues (I live in North Scotland - this may not be such a problem if you are on the South Coast! - I found the damp always messed up running, scenery etc). What I did do in the end was got a builder in and ripped the roof off the garage and added a storey to it to create a fully heated, insulated railway room. Not as expensive as I thought it would be although I then had to give the missus a conservatory and new kitchen to keep her sweet so overall cost was pretty horrendous :-) Now just need to find the time to actually build the layout...

• 2 weeks later...

For a horrible moment there I thought it might have been somewhere else; somewhere...small.

The unspeakable horror of the Bowater's (or even British Tissue) train breaking down in the kitchen with - erm - essential supplies on board!

I'd me more worried about the binliner service derailing

Archived