Langley N gauge LMS Streamlined Coronation Pacific

I'm thinking of having my first attempt at building a loco, I've always loved the look of the streamlined coronation and despite it being too big for my little branchline, I don't care, It can be a rail tour or something!

I'm looking at using the langley kit which is based on a Minitrix Britannia, which seem to be a little hard to get hold of, they do say you can use a Farish Duchess chassis with some modification,

I was wondering if anyone knew how much modification was needed to the duchess chassis and how much work is involved.

I'm thinking this will be easier than other locomotives to build (I'll sort painting those stripes later!) as it's more like a full body shell to be put on, similar to a rail car or diesel instead of multiple parts.

Thanks

The Corro was one of the 1st kits I ever did, over 10 years ago now. The Langley casting is a bit rough, just a big lump of whitemetal, shaped like a bathtub :) . I had to do a lot filling on the inside for the clearances of the Minitrix chassis, to prevent shorting. I'm happy with the end result, but realise now I can further improve it with handrails, brass buffers etc etc.

post-6928-0-71182400-1295693785_thumb.jpg

There was an article in one of the railway mags many years ago about the conversion to using a Farish Duchess chassis, and the Langley website say's it needs an adaption to fit the Duchess. If I remember rightly it was something to do with adding a spacer to support the front end.

Did you know FOX transfers make lining decals for the Corro. Thats what I used, much neater than painting. The whiskers on the nose were a bit tricky as there was no carrier film and I spent some time getting them right. They do them in both silver and gold (which I still haven't goten round to doing, yet :( ). They also do the lining for the coaches.

post-6928-0-15807100-1295693839_thumb.jpg

Both the Farish Duchess and Minitrix Britannia chassis have underscale wheels on them (the proper see-through Brit wheels look better but the Farish slidebars and valve gear are better). Have you considered using a Royal Scot or Jubilee? The streamline tender should easily fit over the tender drive and you'll have a much better looking front bogie and driving wheels.

Both the Farish Duchess and Minitrix Britannia chassis have underscale wheels on them (the proper see-through Brit wheels look better but the Farish slidebars and valve gear are better). Have you considered using a Royal Scot or Jubilee? The streamline tender should easily fit over the tender drive and you'll have a much better looking front bogie and driving wheels.

The potential problem with that is that you won't have a trailing bogie, so you'll need to get one from somewhere. I don't quite know where.

I was thinking about using the Jubilee as the basis for a Princess. Or possibly the rebuilt Jubilee from 'Living with London Midland Steam' (also a pacific) but wasn't sure where to get the trailing bogie. But if you can sort that, then yes, that would seem to be a good idea.

I was going to suggest that but first checked on BR Lines website and couldn't find it. By the looks of it the trailing sideframe detail comes with the Coronation kit (presumably because the Brit has a true pony truck) so it should be possible to come up with something.

• RMweb Premium

The biggest compromise if using the Jubilee chassis is the driving wheel spacing: 7'4" + 8'0" on the Jub against a symmetrical 7'3" + 7'3" on the Coronation. The bogie is also slightly too short (6'6" on most Jubilees against 7'6" on the Coronation).

On the other hand, driving wheel diameter and tender axle spacing are the same for both classes.

I've mocked up a Jubilee-chassied loco (bottom) using pictures of the Hornby 00 model - personally, I think it would be worth stretching the bogie to preserve the character of the loco.

post-6813-0-61352000-1296164273_thumb.jpg

The biggest compromise if using the Jubilee chassis is the driving wheel spacing: 7'4" + 8'0" on the Jub against a symmetrical 7'3" + 7'3" on the Coronation. The bogie is also slightly too short (6'6" on most Jubilees against 7'6" on the Coronation).

On the other hand, driving wheel diameter and tender axle spacing are the same for both classes.

I've mocked up a Jubilee-chassied loco (bottom) using pictures of the Hornby 00 model - personally, I think it would be worth stretching the bogie to preserve the character of the loco.

post-6813-0-61352000-1296164273_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that. I was having a few worries about how the difference in wheel spacing would look. I didn't realise the tender wheel spacing was the same either, so that's... made life more expensive :)

With regard to the front bogie, N Brass Locos make a front bogie that they say is suitable for LMS 4-6-0 and pacific types, so that might be worth a try.

I was thinking about using the Jubilee as the basis for a Princess. Or possibly the rebuilt Jubilee from 'Living with London Midland Steam' (also a pacific) but wasn't sure where to get the trailing bogie.

Hi

The rebuilt Jubilees 5735/6 were not pacifics, they were Jubs fitted with I think 2A boilers, they still retained the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I think we're talking about the what-if rebuild envisaged by A.J. Powell in his book "Living with London Midland Locomotives", which was a Pacific using a boiler similar to that actually used on the Britannias. Styling would have been similar to 6256/7.

You're right about the actual rebuilt Jubilees.

I think we're talking about the what-if rebuild envisaged by A.J. Powell in his book "Living with London Midland Locomotives", which was a Pacific using a boiler similar to that actually used on the Britannias. Styling would have been similar to 6256/7.

You're right about the actual rebuilt Jubilees.

Yes, that's the one. It's slightly confusing that he calls it a rebuilt Jubilee, but... I just like the idea. And of all the ideas in the book, that's the one that's doable in N gauge. :)

With regard to the front bogie, N Brass Locos make a front bogie that they say is suitable for LMS 4-6-0 and pacific types, so that might be worth a try.

The N brass bogie is not right for the Duchess - it suffers the same issues in that the wheelbase is too short (really only suitable for Black 5, Jub etc for which it is correct). I've lengthened the N brass bogies I've used on my Duchesses which looks much better.

Cheers,

Alan

The N brass bogie is not right for the Duchess - it suffers the same issues in that the wheelbase is too short (really only suitable for Black 5, Jub etc for which it is correct). I've lengthened the N brass bogies I've used on my Duchesses which looks much better.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for that. Their website didn't make that clear. How hard are they to lengthen by the way?

• RMweb Premium

To quote Ben of Oz the Langley loco casting is "a big lump of whitemetal". I would question whether a model built using a current Graham Farish 4-6-0, which are tender powered, could cope with both the weight of the loco body casting and a decent, or indeed any, length of train. This is one problem traction tyres may not overcome.

Regards

Michael

Archived