Shildon Part 2 No.1's reunion

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

I promise that after this collection is uploaded there won't be another one for a week or 2, so look on the bright side! The Stirling Single has been united with an authentic tender for the first time in around 100 years, who said that history ends as soon as a loco is preserved. At the moment something doesn't quite match between the loco and tender I can't put my finger on it at the moment! ;) Also on show was the Crab, resplendent in her new livery, I want a 00 gauge one now!

Here are a couple of photos and the ubiquitous link to the gallery http://william.fotopic.net/c1935141.html

post-6756-0-92551300-1295645264_thumb.jpg

post-6756-0-22076200-1295645461_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It had been converted to a mobile water tank many years ago (the preserved N2 currently has the two GNR buffers, which were attached to the front).

It was spotted languishing in a yard and identified as a possible tender for No 1 (the loco currently has a tender from a Surrock goods loco behind it) as it is the correct pattern. It was moved to the NRM where it has stood outside gently rusting away for many years. There have been a couple of articles about it recently in the railway press but basically it has now been moved to Shildon to be restored and put behind No 1.

I think that it has been stored, mostly outside, for around 40 years now.

I saw it at York quite a few years ago on one of the open days when you could get to the bits that are normally closed off and I seem to recall that if you got really close up, at certain angles, you could also see traces of the original GNR lettering but several more years of outside storage may have seen to that!

Archived