Kadee Couplings

Its been a while since I bought any Kadee Couplings....................................

Would be pleased if anyone can advise me of current UK Mail order stockists who are reliable and usually have stock

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Its been a while since I bought any Kadee Couplings....................................

Would be pleased if anyone can advise me of current UK Mail order stockists who are reliable and usually have stock

Thanks in anticipation

This lady http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/northwalesmodels/ has just received my 3rd order for Kadee 18s, which should tell you I like her service! She seems to restock quickly, and is ahead of the field on price. These people are always on the ball, too http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/pi-129521426.htm?categoryId=62. If you are seeking other-than-NEM Kadees I'm a bit out of touch, but suspect Model Junction might be a good start?

Thanks for the info North Wales Models............ ironic or what they are relatively just up the road from us.......well about 25 miles... just sent them an eBay order.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having only just returned to 00 after a break of a few years in the graet outdoors., I am remembering niggles from previous 00 layouts!! One of which is the phantom uncoupling which occurs with some slimline hook & bar couplings so its Kadees for me again I think :D :D :O

EZ Mate NEM couplings

Hi,

I apologise for being slightly OT but the above link is an alternative to Kadee for NEM boxes- they should also be available in blister of 12 pairs in the UK within a few weeks.

Maybe a viable alternative?

DesA

Correct me if I am incorrect but I think these EZ mate couplings are the same or very similar to the Bachmann Knuckle couplings fitted to Bachmann HO (USA) and Bachmann 0n30 stock, I beleive that they ( Bachmann) bought the manufacturer MacHenry who origianally made these couplings, I use them extensively on my 0n30 stock but I personally find them to be not quite as good reliability wise as I remember Kadees when I used them some years back, in terms of uncoupling, which is not as positive as Kadees, and they do tend to very occasionally decouple when a train is in motion.

Hi,

I use both EZMates and Kadees, both have their foibles- EZmates are not so reliable in operation (but neither are Kadees*)- however EZMates do not leave a trail of coupling springs scattered around the layout. At 50% less than Kadees, I think that some marginal loss in performance is acceptable.

DesA

*Currently I am awaiting a response from Oregon over the twenty+ Euro couplings that have lost their wire springs- knuckle springs are easy to replace and easily available but US retailers do not stock the wire springs as there is no demand outside Europe.

• RMweb Gold

Correct me if I am incorrect but I think these EZ mate couplings are the same or very similar to the Bachmann Knuckle couplings fitted to Bachmann HO (USA) and Bachmann 0n30 stock, I beleive that they ( Bachmann) bought the manufacturer MacHenry who origianally made these couplings, I use them extensively on my 0n30 stock but I personally find them to be not quite as good reliability wise as I remember Kadees when I used them some years back, in terms of uncoupling, which is not as positive as Kadees, and they do tend to very occasionally decouple when a train is in motion.

Bachmann couplers appeared at about the same time as McHenry, but they did not buy them out. I suspect McHenry are now within the Horizon Hobbies group, as they tend to be the choice of Athearn & Roundhouse.

http://www.mchenrycouplers.com/

The new EZmate 78035 does have a coil spring but no second pivot. This not surprising as I received a response from Oregon which explains Kadee's original thinking:

The design of our NEM couplers is a bit dated but in the present market we have not had the time to introduce a new design. The extra pivoting head is

necessary for certain NEM pockets that have limited swing, although it may not be necessary for all NEM pockets.

Unfortunately the multi blister packs are not yet available in the UK despite being listed.

DesA

Archived