Questions about a Motor Bogie.com product

Hello,

I'm considering building a number of N gauge EMUs and have been looking around for motors.

I came across this item on Motor Bogies.com, which is advertised as suitable for N gauge.

I was wondering whether anyone has experience of these motors?

I like the look of the product (it seems basic, robust and straightforward to install and maintain), and it fits my aim of finding a 'standard' method of motorising different types of unit.

But looking at the picture, the flanges seem vary shallow in comparison to what I'm used to seeing on N gauge models, which makes me feel unsure about it's suitability.

They're described as 'code 88 disc wheels' and on the Hollywood Foundry website the following definition is given:

'The wheel choice is quite descriptive, '9.6mm(.378") Code 88 NS Disc' means an RP25 profile wheel of 9.6mm or .378 inch diameter with a tread width of .088" or 2.24mm, as a nickel silver solid disc wheel. This wheel might also be described as a 'Code 88' or 'finescale' wheel. Normal tread width for most HO wheels is Code 110, meaning that the tread width is .11" or 2.79mm."

I'm afraid that's right over my head :(

So I wondered whether anyone can decipher that or if others have used them on N gauge layouts and have found them to be reliable? My track is code 55 if that helps.

So any feedback welcome - as would be pointers to other similar products.

With thanks in advance,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Nigel Lawton has a motor bogie on his website that might be of interest, and Grahame Hedges has written of converting Farish Class 158 chassis to good effect.

It will be some time yet before I have a practical need to pursue this myself but I follow such efforts with great interest B)

Regards, Gerry.

Erm, because we've not been formerly introduced Kris! :blink:

Thanks - I didn't know he was on here - good call :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is wondering why I'm looking to go down this road - well I want to model the first generation EMUs which were just 50' in length. These were shorter than first generation DMUs, so whilst I could buy N gauge DMUs and hack the lot to pieces just for the motor, it seems a shame if I can find a basic motor like that advertised which is far more straightforward to deal with in modelling terms, less expensive, and which can be used in later (longer) generation EMUs if I choose to build them (ie, one standard fits all :) ).

I've also looked at motor units from N gauge diesel and electric locomotives (class 25, 33 and 24 were the nearest) - but these have much wider wheelbases and the bogie centres are a long way out. So I can't use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for pointers to-date, much appreciated :)

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Erm, because we've not been formerly introduced Kris! :blink:

Thanks - I didn't know he was on here - good call :)

If anyone is wondering why I'm looking to go down this road - well I want to model the first generation EMUs which were just 50' in length. These were shorter than first generation DMUs, so whilst I could buy N gauge DMUs and hack the lot to pieces just for the motor, it seems a shame if I can find a basic motor like that advertised which is far more straightforward to deal with in modelling terms, less expensive, and which can be used in later (longer) generation EMUs if I choose to build them (ie, one standard fits all :) ).

I've also looked at motor units from N gauge diesel and electric locomotives (class 25, 33 and 24 were the nearest) - but these have much wider wheelbases and the bogie centres are a long way out. So I can't use them.

Thanks for pointers to-date, much appreciated :)

Mark

Hi

Its also possible to shorten the TPM chassis so this would be another option.

Cheers

Paul

Archived