Valley Lines Research; Cwmbargoed

Guest Popcod

Hi All,

I'm hoping to start my first model (yay!) and I'm currently thinking of taking on a fictional 'what if...' scenario. On the advice of a friend I'm heading towards modelling a modern day version of the station at Cwmbargoed on the Dowlais branch of the South Wales Valley lines but before I start I'd like to get as much data on the line and station before it closed in the 60s. By getting to know the area I hope to produce a more authentic model, and one that doesn't require too much use of the imagination.

Does anyone know of a good book that would cover Cwmbargoed and the area prior to closing?

The web-based research I've done so far has given me an idea of the task ahead, but someone might have found a more comprehensive guide out there. I'd also be happy with any other ideas of research sources that anyone might have previously found.

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at the Middleton Press title "Cardiff to Dowlais", in the Welsh valleys series.

http://www.middletonpress.co.uk/details.php?bdetails=978%201%20906008%2047%205

I have all the books in this series and while the photos are occasionally grainy, there's a wealth

of good information packed into the pages.

The web-based research I've done so far has given me an idea of the task ahead, but someone might have found a more comprehensive guide out there. I'd also be happy with any other ideas of research sources that anyone might have previously found.

Cheers,

Chris

What specifically do you want to know? My main interest is in the next valley to the left ..New Tredegar heading towards Ystrad. PM me with a wish list and I'll see what can be dug out.

regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

A quickie search of my 'library' gave up the following -

'Railways In Retrospect' No 3 South Wales published by Pendragon isbn 1-899816-13-5

p82 view of up platform and building

p58 view from train near Cwmbargoed up distant

'The Rhymney Railway' Volume 2 published by Silver Link ISBN 1-85794-228-0

p55 excellent view of station building (upside I presume), and the signalbox. NB these are the best views I know of any buildings at Cwmbargoed.

Cwmbargoed does not appear in any of the indexes for either Michael Hale's 'Steam In South Wales' series or Sydney Rickard's 'Rickard's Record' series which together make teh best photographic reference for the area in my view.

....There's a good bibliography here:

http://www.wrrc.org.uk/rhymneyrc.php

And I would suggest the wrrc.org aka Welsh Railways Research Circle is a good place to contact - depending where you are located, even a visit to the Archives may be possible.

It's outside my own interest area though, although I am a member of the WRRC.

Thanks everyone,

I've read one or two books from Middleton Press, and having liked they're style I've gone and ordered the Cardiff to Dowlais book. Even if it doesn't yield the details I'm dearching for it'll still be a good book for my collection.

I've had a spin through the WRRC website and I think I'll be getting in touch to see if they've got anything that could help me. I'm situated in the East Midlands at the moment, but I hope that I may be able to arrange a trip to south Wales and discuss the archives with a member there.

To help with my model I was hoping to find as many images as I could of the station area, to give myself a general idea of the track formation and any surrounding structures. I'd guess a genuine track plan would be pretty hard to come by, but one estimated from period photos would suffice for my use. As I'm interested in a 'modern era' version of the station (were it to still exist) details of pre-closing locos and stock that visited Cwmbargoed, apart from being interesting, would be surplus to my needs.

Thanks again,

Chris

Middleton press books usually contain closeup maps of the route in them. I have one on the Neath and Brecon that has 1918 maps of the route in between the pictures.

Have you seen the pictures on 'Old Merthyr Tydfil'? http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/

If it was still open now it would probably be a single platform with a bus shelter on it for Valley Lines sprinters.

Archived