Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a few pics, including a couple of 26004, newly released from the WW works (but not exactly in ex-works condition :lol: ).

26004 at speed with a train of HEAs. This loco has had the radio roof pods fitted, as well as buffer beam detailing, driver-fitting, etched arrows and depot plaque and weathering, not to mention a Howes sound chip.

post-7247-0-26491100-1298304426_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-03084700-1298304190_thumb.jpg

Plus one of a 107 at Waverley late one night awaiting departure.

post-7247-0-50284000-1298304250_thumb.jpg

47701 is now also finished and out of the works. Will post some pics when I get chance.

47711 and 47640 for renumbering as either 636 or 644 are next in line for the WW works treatment.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 4

I love that first shot. 26004 is the only real loco I ever drove - very slowly, at Bo'ness one diesel gala day. Happy times.

Remember I offered to take a pic of haymarket depot from the relief road - well i went on Saturday but tbh all the modern additions so cover the old depot that I frankly didn't see how it could help you - sorry!

I love that first shot. 26004 is the only real loco I ever drove - very slowly, at Bo'ness one diesel gala day. Happy times.

Remember I offered to take a pic of haymarket depot from the relief road - well i went on Saturday but tbh all the modern additions so cover the old depot that I frankly didn't see how it could help you - sorry!

Thanks for trying Jon anyway. That was very kind of you. At least I know now not to bother trying myself!

Glad 26004 brings back some happy memories!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Nice to see you have been doing a bit, the class 26 looks great,B) the weathering looks spot on with the muck coming down from the roof between the grilles quite common on the coal sector locos.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave,

It was really nice to meet you and chat today. Hope you had a good trip back and enjoyed yourself at the show. Nice to catch up with your latest photos as well while I have the chance and 26004 looks very realistic especially with the coal washed streaks and the bogies have come out very nicely. Did you mix in some powders to create the rust/grime coats? I have done this on my 33 and was really pleased with how it turned out but havn't done much weathering since to any locos but interested to know what you used on yours.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Dave,

Nice to see you have been doing a bit, the class 26 looks great,B) the weathering looks spot on with the muck coming down from the roof between the grilles quite common on the coal sector locos.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. I actually started off aiming to make it fairly clean, almost ex-works as I like the livery and think it looks very smart. However, the more I weathered it the better I think it looked and I ended up with it fairly grimy. The coal streaks were something I noticed after studying a few pics, presumably they got them as they passed under the loading chutes.

Hi Dave,

It was really nice to meet you and chat today. Hope you had a good trip back and enjoyed yourself at the show. Nice to catch up with your latest photos as well while I have the chance and 26004 looks very realistic especially with the coal washed streaks and the bogies have come out very nicely. Did you mix in some powders to create the rust/grime coats? I have done this on my 33 and was really pleased with how it turned out but havn't done much weathering since to any locos but interested to know what you used on yours.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Great to meet you too. Sorry it was cut a little bit short. The needs of a 6-year old sometimes have to come before everything else! I can't complain though, she's very patient and she loves trains!

Thanks for your comments on 26004. I was quite pleased with the way it came out. I was thinking of maybe doing a workbench thread or something to show what I do to a loco before I put it on the layout, if anyone is interested. I think it can be interesting to see how other people do it. I've met a few people now who've said how they wouldn't touch their locos, but really like I said today as long as you protect or remove the glazing, any disasters can almost always be put right. And I've had a few too (and I mean that!!), but never any that I haven't been able to overcome. In the worst case scenario, you strip the paint off and start again (and yes, I've done that more than once too).

The bogies on 26004 (and all my locos) were sprayed using a nice 'random' mix of Railmatch aerosol frame dirt/weathered black/roof dirt/sleeper. When dry, I then apply a good mix of dirty weathering powders. I've read a few arguments about which is best, powders or airbrushing, but I reckon you can't beat the two combined.

Well, better go and inspect my new etchings. :D (Shawplan's Mk 2 &3 window frames of course).

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a few pics of the now complete 47701.

Here she/he (?) is entering Waverley through The Mound tunnel back in 1981...

post-7247-0-95867100-1298977682_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-99829000-1298977736_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-83757200-1298977780_thumb.jpg

And a few minutes later at the platform...

post-7247-0-07391400-1298977813_thumb.jpg

I'd like to introduce myself by the way, well the 4mm 1980s version of me anyway. Here I am sat on a trolley platform-ending back in the 1980s. Note the dashing good looks and the avant garde fashion sense (Adidas tracksuit bottoms, Adidas trainers and Marks & Sparks jumper by the way for the fashion gurus amongst you). One day the fashion world will catch up with me. :D

post-7247-0-85246900-1298977836_thumb.jpg

Finally, a couple of shots of 26004 as she passes through Waverley with a rake of HEAs...

post-7247-0-23301600-1298977860_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-41004800-1298977920_thumb.jpg

I had a good time at Model Rail Scotland and it was good to meet a few people. I didn't think the standard of the layouts was as good as last year but there were some good ones. My favourite was the Elmsland one by the Dutch group. Superb modelling and full of interest with lots going on. I especially liked the pile driver and moving plough.

As far as purchases goes, I started off well, managing to resist the Bachmann ScotRail 170 (not sure for how long though, even though it's out of my era), the Harburn Hobbies ScotRail 150 and a limited edition InterCity-livered Ethel 1 that I saw. I then got to the Shawplan stand and that's where it all went horribly wrong. A little while later and I emerged with a handfull of lazer glazing and window frames for my latest HST rake, which is otherwise finished, and also for a few Mk 2d's. They're not cheap (at a combined cost of £12 or so per coach), but they do look good and I think that's now top of my list of projects to do.

47644 is now almost complete, while 47711 is well advanced. Hope to post some pics of these two soon.

Well better go, hope you like the photos.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 5

Hi Dave,

Did you notice a price on the limited edition InterCity-livered Ethel 1. I would like to add one to my fleet, but I stayed well clear of traders as my son would have me buying everything. lol

Mark

Hi Dave,

Did you notice a price on the limited edition InterCity-livered Ethel 1. I would like to add one to my fleet, but I stayed well clear of traders as my son would have me buying everything. lol

Mark

Hi Mark,

£75 if I remember rightly, which didn't seem too bad for a limited edition I've only seen once or twice before. If it had been the blue/grey version, I'd have bought it but I managed to resist the InterCity version, just. It was on the Moray's Models stand I think.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Peter. I actually started off aiming to make it fairly clean, almost ex-works as I like the livery and think it looks very smart. However, the more I weathered it the better I think it looked and I ended up with it fairly grimy. The coal streaks were something I noticed after studying a few pics, presumably they got them as they passed under the loading chutes.

Hi Mark,

Great to meet you too. Sorry it was cut a little bit short. The needs of a 6-year old sometimes have to come before everything else! I can't complain though, she's very patient and she loves trains!

Thanks for your comments on 26004. I was quite pleased with the way it came out. I was thinking of maybe doing a workbench thread or something to show what I do to a loco before I put it on the layout, if anyone is interested. I think it can be interesting to see how other people do it. I've met a few people now who've said how they wouldn't touch their locos, but really like I said today as long as you protect or remove the glazing, any disasters can almost always be put right. And I've had a few too (and I mean that!!), but never any that I haven't been able to overcome. In the worst case scenario, you strip the paint off and start again (and yes, I've done that more than once too).

The bogies on 26004 (and all my locos) were sprayed using a nice 'random' mix of Railmatch aerosol frame dirt/weathered black/roof dirt/sleeper. When dry, I then apply a good mix of dirty weathering powders. I've read a few arguments about which is best, powders or airbrushing, but I reckon you can't beat the two combined.

Well, better go and inspect my new etchings. :D (Shawplan's Mk 2 &3 window frames of course).

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Michel (59004) is in a huff because you never got introduced to him when you were at the DEMU stand!

Never mind - it's all Mark's fault....

Anyway - like the new photo - very authentic look!

Just needs loads of dirt on the inside ot the tunnel roof.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Michel (59004) is in a huff because you never got introduced to him when you were at the DEMU stand!

Never mind - it's all Mark's fault....

Anyway - like the new photo - very authentic look!

Just needs loads of dirt on the inside ot the tunnel roof.

Thanks

Hi Phil,

Apologies to Michel, I didn't realise he was there again this year. I met him there last year.

Yes, you're right about the dirt inside the tunnel!

Glad you like the photos.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Mark,

£75 if I remember rightly, which didn't seem too bad for a limited edition I've only seen once or twice before. If it had been the blue/grey version, I'd have bought it but I managed to resist the InterCity version, just. It was on the Moray's Models stand I think.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for that. I've only seen them on that well known auction site going for around £65 although one 2nd hand was selling for £95 but it no. Fare play if they were £40-£50 if you want to take the chance, but you have no come back if anything is wrong.

Mark

Dave's photographic time machine strikes again!

Nice phots.

They are fantastic photos, but there is something wrong in the photo. I've been in Edinburgh many times and I've never seen a fence that is that good, most are spread with car jacks, even if the have thirty foot drops at the other side. Now that I don't understand.:wacko: :lol: :lol:

Mark

Hi Dave,

The shot 47701 on the platform end and the side on view of 26004 are superb shots not that the rest aren't of course but they really stand out for me. The colours and weathering on 47701 capture the look of the era perfectly and the side on view of the 26 just emphasise all the detail especially the underframes where Heljan really excell on this model.

I don't think Michel was on the stand at that point otherwise I would have introduced you to him. Its an excuse to come back next year and see him then!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd drop by and post a few pics of the now completed 47644...

Here it is at platform 15 at Waverley, waiting to back onto a Dundee service in 1986...

post-7247-0-20757100-1299686027_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-32507500-1299686068_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-73469000-1299686262_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-68433500-1299686213_thumb.jpg

And then later on its way, with my mandatory speed-freek shots..

post-7247-0-77236900-1299686298_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-14423500-1299686322_thumb.jpg

Large logo 47711 has been delayed in the works awaiting an order for varnish from Phoenix Paints. I have also nearly finished an InterCity Mk 3 TSO with the Shawplan glazing and window frames. Fitting them to get a perfect fit without damaging the glazing has not been quite as easy as I'd hoped but hopefully I'll get better at it.

Hope to be back soon.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

Another top notch Duff for your fleet and the speed shots are just superb as always! The weathering is just right as well and really brings the model to life. I am looking forward to seeing your glazing, that is quick work!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Dave,

47644 is a beast, I do like a Scottish duff with ploughs. Look forwards to seeing your flush window mk3, I am tempted with some Shawplan windows for my mk2 air cons. Have a look at Kier Hardy's website he's had a go at one and it looks great.

Cheers Peter.

Guest LNER Tom

I always loved delving into this thread. Although not my era of modelling, I have vague memories of the BR Blue days from my child hood, but it's the modelling that draws me in, Amazing the sense of realism, your shots of locos at speed always strikes me.

How long have you been building the layout and whats roughly it's size?

Looking forward to the next picture :)

Thanks Mark and pilkko.

Hi Dave,

47644 is a beast, I do like a Scottish duff with ploughs. Look forwards to seeing your flush window mk3, I am tempted with some Shawplan windows for my mk2 air cons. Have a look at Kier Hardy's website he's had a go at one and it looks great.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the recommendation Peter. Will do!

I've just had a bit of a disaster with my first Mk 3 which was almost finished. The glue I was using seemed to be working well until the last window. It then decided to bubble the paint finish around the window. Arrggghhh! That, combined with getting superglue on my otherwise nearly finished 47711 causing me to have to respray the entire blue sides, has made me feel like the most hamfisted, clumsy, not to mention stupid, modeller around right now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Time for a deeeep breath.

I always loved delving into this thread. Although not my era of modelling, I have vague memories of the BR Blue days from my child hood, but it's the modelling that draws me in, Amazing the sense of realism, your shots of locos at speed always strikes me.

How long have you been building the layout and whats roughly it's size?

Looking forward to the next picture :)

Thanks Tom. I started the layout in 2003, although I'd been collecting stock for a while before then. The layout is around 5.1 x 2.4/2.1m (it's wider at the Waverley end).

Cheers for now folks,

Dave