Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks Dave,

Painting the edges black sounds like a good idea. I might have to try a set of windows and see how I go.

Not sure if Bachmann will ever do MK2Ds, they don't even seem to want to re release their MK2As.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

It's been a bit quiet on the update front here at WW recently, but there's been a lot happening in the background. Firstly and most importantly, it looks like WW is going to get a new home at last. It looks like we've finally managed to buy the railway room (complete with bungalow for Mrs WW) that we've been after for some time. The vital statistics are 5.8m x 5.0m, which will give me another 70cm lengthwise and no less than 2.5m more widthwise. Teehee. So I can now get my thinking cap on to decide what I'm going to do with that space. My priorities are more storage roads, the Haymarket tunnel portals in Princes St Gardens and a reasonable representation of Haymarket depot.There's a full-size snooker table in the room at the moment so that's a bit of a problem. Shame to get rid of it really but you can't have everything.

We've had the survey done and everything was pretty much OK, so fingers crossed there won't be any late hitches. I guess I'd better start thinking about how to dismantle WW. I was impressed by Mark's (MRDBlue) boxwork around Rannoch Moor for his move and that seemed to work, so I might just copy your idea Mark. It's the wiring and reconnecting it all that really scares me though. I was never very organised or neat with my wiring, partly because I never imagined moving the layout and partly because wiring is not...ahem... my strong point. I always felt that as long as it worked, that was all that mattered. The chickens are definitely coming home to roost now though.

As regards other projects, my APT is finally more or less finished, although I have to say that putting it on the tracks for a test run or two was quite a disappointment. It took me back to the railway modelling of my youth (the 1980s) - noisy poor running, flickering lights and derailments galore. It was pretty frustrating all in all and made me wonder why I put so much effort into respraying it. Anyway, it's going to be packed away now into the "lessons learned box" for the moment unless I can come up with some inspiration as to how to deal with the problems (remotoring for example).

It's good to be back to working on 21st century models again now though and my current fill-in project is a renumbering/naming of a Bachmann 37/0 to 37026 Loch Awe in BR blue livery and small westie. Other than that the big job is going to be dismantling the layout. Hope to be back soon with some more developments.

In the meantime, here are some shots of the APT, as much beset by problems on WW as the prototypes were. Please excuse the absence of overhead wires. WW will almost certainly never see OLE.

post-7247-0-76526500-1316678467_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-79809400-1316678504_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-40149900-1316678583_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-06444500-1316678611_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-03372900-1316678639_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-58046400-1316678659_thumb.jpg

Better go and do some work I s'pose.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 8

Good news RE the new home Dave, I know it'll be a while off but I for one can't wait to see what you decide to do.

A full scale HA would be damn nice, but equally so would the gardens I have to say.

If you do HA will you model the smell of hops from the brewery. Always reminds me to this day as I bowl into work, shame the rows of 26/27s, 47s, 20s etc etc have been replaced by 158/170s and not much more.

Good news RE the new home Dave, I know it'll be a while off but I for one can't wait to see what you decide to do.

A full scale HA would be damn nice, but equally so would the gardens I have to say.

If you do HA will you model the smell of hops from the brewery. Always reminds me to this day as I bowl into work, shame the rows of 26/27s, 47s, 20s etc etc have been replaced by 158/170s and not much more.

Thanks millerhillboy. Modelling HA would be fantastic. I've seen so many photos of locos lined up outside the main sheds that are just crying out to be modelled. Also, my section of Princes St Gardens never seems quite right as it just sort of "fizzles out" on the layout whereas in reality of course it disappears into the Haymarket tunnels. Modelling that smell really would be the finishing touch to the layout. Every time I smell a brewery it still reminds me of my days spotting in the Edinburgh area in the 1980s.

The outlook for WW suddenly seems very exciting again. As you say it's going to take time but it almost feels like I'm going to be starting all over again. Apart from that detailing I've been meaning to get round to for ages the main part of Waverley station will probably stay much the same, as will most of the Princes St Gardens section, but the rest may well end up being more or less a new layout. The depot on WW was OK but since I've returned to the modelling fold, my interests have leaned more towards (compressed) prototype modelling aimed at capturing the "feel" of an area rather than freelance layouts. I was thinking maybe the HA depot section could be made detachable or freestanding too, making it exhibitable.

Cheers,

Dave

Good luck with the move Dave. I like the way you have gone about house hunting with the train room the priority! You don’t normally see Phil and Kirsty having that dilemma to deal with on Location, Location, Location!

I look forward to seeing Haymarket depot, as you say in the past there were many photos of decent traction captured outside the shed. :sungum:

Hi Dave,

Great news on the house, I remember seeing the APT once yours looks great, is the power unit the standard Ringfield unit? you can get a five pole one that will work better I have one in an old class 25 and it runs ok. What about looking at a railroad power unit from a 73 or 33, it might fit.

Haymarket depot would look great, And thanks for the memories Millerhillboy I remember the smell of hops from the brewery at Haymarket station too.

Hope you like the pic. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-90834800-1316696406_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Dave,

Great news on the house, I remember seeing the APT once yours looks great, is the power unit the standard Ringfield unit? you can get a five pole one that will work better I have one in an old class 25 and it runs ok. What about looking at a railroad power unit from a 73 or 33, it might fit.

Haymarket depot would look great, And thanks for the memories Millerhillboy I remember the smell of hops from the brewery at Haymarket station too.

Hope you like the pic. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

Oh yes, we do like that picture.

Smell of hops is still there, although it doesn't have the same effect from a 334 :-(

We certainly do like that pic, Peter. Very inspirational. Exactly the sort of shot I was talking about.

Brilliant, thanks!

Cheers,

Dave

PS The APT motor is the original Ringfield one. It's incredibly noisy and could definitely do with being replaced. Might be worth looking into.

Excellent APT - remember seeing it at Preston on the WCML and how small it was.

I recall the tests on the WCML in a bad winter - '79 I think - put paid to it seizing its tilt mech with ice - never really saw it much after this - must have been the nail in the coffin.

Nice layout - not been back to Waverley since the Deltics and a schooltrip round Haymarket (saw Union of South Africa in bits - must have been about '78)

Cheers

Ian

Remember 27 Dairy Crunch bars being relieved from the vending machine at Waverley - not guilty - but thats another story :)

Your APT looks superb! You dont notice the lack of OHLE at all, it would look good being hauled DIT by a 47 if you wanted to make it look more plausable.

On the same post you said your dismantling the layout, are you moving house, will WW be re assembled?

Edited by Arpleymodeller

Your APT looks superb! You dont notice the lack of OHLE at all, it would look good being hauled DIT by a 47 if you wanted to make it look more plausable.

On the same post you said your dismantling the layout, are you moving house, will WW be re assembled?

I hope to be moving some time around Christmas. WW will be re-assembled, probably initially in its existing form. I then intend to expand it considerably as the new railway room will be about twice the size of the area I have available for modelling at the moment. :D

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I then intend to expand it considerably as the new railway room will be about twice the size of the area I have available for modelling at the moment. :D

so you could even squeeze in Glasgow then... :laugh:

Good luck with the move and enjoy the extra space Dave - I was always impressed how compact your layout was because in the photographs it never appears so.

Hi folks,

I've been mentioning for some time that I've been working on a rake of original InterCity Executive HST coaches. Well, believe it or not, they're finally finished. Apart from a respray, they've had Shawplan etched window frames and Lazerglaze windows fitted, along with interiors painted and passengers fitted. Eventually, I'd like to fit interior lights and proper corridor connections, along with some better fixed couplings.

Here are some photos of the finished stock as it arrives on a London-bound express from Aberdeen.

First up, an FO, showing the tinted windows and etched window frames. Peter (PCM) these shots may help you decide over the apparent thickness (or otherwise) of the windows. I'm quite happy with them.

post-7247-0-25577400-1316769205_thumb.jpg

Next a TSO...

post-7247-0-46860300-1316769781_thumb.jpg

And a buffet...

post-7247-0-33635700-1316769843_thumb.jpg

Finally a TGS...

post-7247-0-61616300-1316769927_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The Mk3s look really nice Dave. You must be a real whizz now with this laser-cut glazing!

In terms of couplings, I have an article by Nigel Burkin on replacing the large and ugly tension locks on Mk3s with Kadees. Even if you don't like them for "fleet" use, they might be a good solution for you as an inter-vehicle coupling and you can always cut the "tail" off.

Edited by Trevellan

Hi folks,

It's been a bit quiet on the update front here at WW recently, but there's been a lot happening in the background. Firstly and most importantly, it looks like WW is going to get a new home at last. It looks like we've finally managed to buy the railway room (complete with bungalow for Mrs WW) that we've been after for some time. The vital statistics are 5.8m x 5.0m, which will give me another 70cm lengthwise and no less than 2.5m more widthwise. Teehee. So I can now get my thinking cap on to decide what I'm going to do with that space. My priorities are more storage roads, the Haymarket tunnel portals in Princes St Gardens and a reasonable representation of Haymarket depot.There's a full-size snooker table in the room at the moment so that's a bit of a problem. Shame to get rid of it really but you can't have everything.

We've had the survey done and everything was pretty much OK, so fingers crossed there won't be any late hitches. I guess I'd better start thinking about how to dismantle WW. I was impressed by Mark's (MRDBlue) boxwork around Rannoch Moor for his move and that seemed to work, so I might just copy your idea Mark. It's the wiring and reconnecting it all that really scares me though. I was never very organised or neat with my wiring, partly because I never imagined moving the layout and partly because wiring is not...ahem... my strong point. I always felt that as long as it worked, that was all that mattered. The chickens are definitely coming home to roost now though.

As regards other projects, my APT is finally more or less finished, although I have to say that putting it on the tracks for a test run or two was quite a disappointment. It took me back to the railway modelling of my youth (the 1980s) - noisy poor running, flickering lights and derailments galore. It was pretty frustrating all in all and made me wonder why I put so much effort into respraying it. Anyway, it's going to be packed away now into the "lessons learned box" for the moment unless I can come up with some inspiration as to how to deal with the problems (remotoring for example).

It's good to be back to working on 21st century models again now though and my current fill-in project is a renumbering/naming of a Bachmann 37/0 to 37026 Loch Awe in BR blue livery and small westie. Other than that the big job is going to be dismantling the layout. Hope to be back soon with some more developments.

In the meantime, here are some shots of the APT, as much beset by problems on WW as the prototypes were. Please excuse the absence of overhead wires. WW will almost certainly never see OLE.

post-7247-0-76526500-1316678467_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-79809400-1316678504_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-40149900-1316678583_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-06444500-1316678611_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-03372900-1316678639_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-58046400-1316678659_thumb.jpg

Better go and do some work I s'pose.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Man all though you have had the problems like the real thing, it still a great item to see on your layout, is it DCC Chipped. Have you tried putting another power car to the rake... I find my struggles on its own but that extra power car made all the difference and also enabled me to put another to car at the rear, so the 3rd & 4th cars were the power cars and another 2 extra making it 4 cars after the power cars. I'm wounder if anyone can make me middke cars for me as I have lots af APT coaches, but it meas crapping 2 coached to create one coach but then it will have the single wheels at each end of the coach, one of them would have 2 windods filled in for the buffet car... it this an hard task to do Dave.

Love all the Photos...

Jamie

• Like 1

Nice work on the MK3s, I can just hear the sound of the wheels passing over the joints in the track!!

Do I see window stickers on the doors? I remember collecting some of those many years ago!

Thanks Alex. I've got a video to post of the HST entering the station with the clickety-clack in full cry!

Yep, those are window stickers. I used to collect them too. I made them by scanning a photo of one in a book and then shrinking it on the computer. I've never seen them modelled before but I remember them as quite a distinctive feature of train travel in the 80s.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thats me just back on line today and great news on your new house front hope it all goes well when the time comes for the move. Making some frames to bolt two boards together facing into a box worked well for me as it makes them easier to move about and also protects them from damage whilst in transit etc. I need to make the bolt holes better for exhibition use in the future on mine but they at least mean the layout should survive in tact.

As for your wiring I take it you have lots of wires that cross board joints etc that are not able to be plugged/unplugged easily. There are a couple of ideas that might work to at least make identifying everything again simpler although will still require a bit of work to get it all running again. You could label each wire with masking tape at both sides of a joint numbered/lettered etc and then cut through them at least you will know what goes where. The other solution is to fix some connnector strip blocks to the boards again on both sides of a joint and cut and wire them into the strips at least then when you come to wire it all up again you can just add some new short bits of wire between the two strips.

Sounds like the new train room will be excellent for the future expansion of WW!

I am very impressed with the lazerglaze. The Mark 2 is spot and very nicely modelled. The Mark 3's capture the colour perfectly and the tinted glazing really does make a difference as well as being crystal clear. The destination lables are a nice touch - never thought to nick them as a child as they were always on the stock from Edinburgh/Glasgow down to Poole that I travelled on!

All the best,

Mark

Hi Dave,

Glad you and millerhillboy like the Haymarket pic I have a few more I will scan and post on here for you. I have added a pic of a class 26 shunting the Haymarket coal yard which is just along from the depot, if you have room it might be worth trying to fit in, it will give you a bit of a yard to play with.

The MK3s look great the windows certainly make a difference, I will have to save up and do my air cons. I noticed along with the destination stickers you have coach letters A, B, C, etc are they transfers?

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-50658800-1316857573_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Dave,

As for your wiring I take it you have lots of wires that cross board joints etc that are not able to be plugged/unplugged easily. There are a couple of ideas that might work to at least make identifying everything again simpler although will still require a bit of work to get it all running again. You could label each wire with masking tape at both sides of a joint numbered/lettered etc and then cut through them at least you will know what goes where. The other solution is to fix some connnector strip blocks to the boards again on both sides of a joint and cut and wire them into the strips at least then when you come to wire it all up again you can just add some new short bits of wire between the two strips.

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Mark. There are definitely some ideas worth taking onboard there.

Just to give you a laugh though, I thought I'd post a couple of shots of the task facing me. I've never had the courage to show the underside of WW's boards before. This isn't going to be easy for me, but here goes anyway.

post-7247-0-62542000-1317200319_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-54955600-1317200340_thumb.jpg

:rofl_mini: :O

Not perhaps the neatest wiring you've ever seen. In my defence, m'lud, I have to say that it all works and electrical problems on the layout are very rare and those that do occur are usually due to me hamfistedly crawling under the boards.

Guess who wishes they'd been a bit neater? I always tend to quickly wire up to check that it all works and then never get round to going back and tidying it all up.

Well, I hope you've all managed to pick yourselves off the floor after that. Fortunately, the boards shown in the picture are the worst, as they're the ones under the station/Princes St. section.

The MK3s look great the windows certainly make a difference, I will have to save up and do my air cons. I noticed along with the destination stickers you have coach letters A, B, C, etc are they transfers?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks. Yes, they're from Fox Transfers. Sheet F4203 I think. They're another feature of coaches that you don't often see modelled.

While I'm here I thought I'd post a shot I forgot last time around...

post-7247-0-80817300-1317200596_thumb.jpg

Well, better go. Work and all that I s'pose.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4