Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

Well, that's a HARD landing, back down to earth .......... :blink: The layout is indeed quite a bit smaller as I has envisaged. Shows indeed very well what you can do IN A LIMITED SPACE as well as what you can do WITH SUPERBLY TAKEN PICTURES to hide that all. ;)

Many thanks, keep up the good work, and best wishes to you and the family for 2010.

Hurray for the girl with an interest in trains and layouts !!!!

Regards, Michel

Hi Peter - I've been wondering that myself. I believe they were mainly used on the Glasgow - Aberdeen push-pulls, so I'm not sure how often they would have visited Waverley. I guess they would have done though. I was thinking of doing at least one. If anyone knows of the travels of the ScotRail BGs please enlighten us!!

I stayed in Scotland from 6 July 1985 to 12 July 1985 on a bashing trip and we travelled from Glasgow to Perth to Edinburgh regularly (mainly to find 27s on the Dundees).

Looking at loco hauled travel there were 3 Aberdeen Mk 2 diagrams per day and we regularly saw 3 sets:

9703, 3245, 6601, 6604, 5662, 5653, 92088 + loco

9705, 17140, 6605, 5726, 5671, 92061 + loco

9702, 3265, 6603, 5673, 5663, 5711, 92091 + loco

We didn't see either of the other 2 BGs (92086 or 92128) but there were enough spare Mk2 air cons to make a complete spare rake so one of them might have been attached to that semi permanently. I wouldn't want to say that they never ran in other rakes in Scotland but I've never seen a photo (Bob Reid will know!)

They only lasted in Scotland until the summer of 1986 and were only in the Aberdeen rakes from May 1985 to May 1986 after which they were moved to Heaton, York and Crown Point and were quite quickly repainted InterCity.

• Like 1

Dave

Great photos showing the layout in context. Do you have any close ups of the fiddleyard area? Am just trying to work out how you manage to squeeze in loco hauled 5 coach trains in the station...am I missing something?

Thanks, Pete

Dave

What happens at the back of the station and the end of the yard section have you any pictures of that area?

The article is great and shows your layout off to a tee icon_clap.gif

Pete

Hi both Petes and everyone else!

Thanks for your comments.

I hope the photo below shows what happens at the back of the station and the 'fiddle yard' area. I??™ve used the station roof to hide the sharp curves of the lines at the end of the layout and the platform roads which double as storage loops. There are 9 loops, one of which is not adjacent to a platform. The outer loop has space for a 25-wagon MGR train plus 2 x 2-car DMUs. The innermost loop has room for a 4/5-coach train. The middle few roads have space for 7-8 coach trains, which is plenty for me and enables me to run reasonably realistic looking train formations.

One limiting factor with this arrangement is that the "south" side of the real station (i.e. on the right in the photo) is used for long-distance trains, but I only have space for 4-coach trains here, so some trains have to use the ???wrong??? platforms. I could extend the storage loops on the right-hand side but that would eat into the scenic section on the other side. Something has to give somewhere!

The other limiting factor is that I can??™t really run trains ???off-scene??? to replicate trains heading off somewhere else. I??™m working on that though. Space is tight but maybe I could squeeze in a few extra off-scene sidings somewhere or even a spiral to another level (now that would be good).

post-7247-12634782112652_thumb.jpg

Work is continuing on the Mk 2d's with the basic two-tone colours complete apart from some tidying up. The interiors are also finished. Will post some pics when they're done. Trouble is, I think I might need more than the five I'm working on at the moment.

After that, 47510 is going to be renumbered 47470 University of Edinburgh and upgraded a bit (wire rather than plastic handrails mainly). 47510 Fair Rosamund was a favourite Old Oak Common loco of mine, but I think it's time to make it more appropriate for Waverley West. This Heljan loco also needs some mechanical attention, I think because the rotating carden shaft keeps slipping where it joins onto the bogie tower at one end. Anyone come across this problem and solved it? It's really the only running problem I've had with any of my Heljan locos.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 3

Hi Dave

You said about work being done on the MK2d's...

Are these Airfix...? as I've been looking for new wheels as the Flanges are to wide on my Airfix when going over Code 75 track points, and I have about 25+ Airfix coaches and I don't know if it??™s cheaper to sell the Airfix or buy from new, I prefer Bachmann or Hornby will do...? But would have to be Mk2D's...!

Regards

Jamie

Hi Dave

You said about work being done on the MK2d's...

Are these Airfix...? as I've been looking for new wheels as the Flanges are to wide on my Airfix when going over Code 75 track points, and I have about 25+ Airfix coaches and I don't know if it???s cheaper to sell the Airfix or buy from new, I prefer Bachmann or Hornby will do...? But would have to be Mk2D's...!

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

They're a mixture of Airfix and Dapol, bought years ago and stored in the loft. I will be rewheeling them all with metal wheels (Bachmann probably), as I use code 75 track too. Hornby's current Mk 2d is just a re-release using the same moulding I think and is no better than the Airfix/Dapol version. The finish on the older versions is of course far inferior to the latest releases though. As I'm respraying them, that's not an issue for me though and I would think buying from new would be more expensive (and I'd still have to respray them in my case anyway).

I am also changing the couplings to the Bachmann "long type" (or something like that). It brings the coaches pretty close together and hasn't caused me any derailing problems. Bachmann do multipacks of wheels and couplings.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave

What is the Bachman Code for the "couplings to the Bachmann long type" and also the Bachmann code for the wheels as I was planning on doing the couplings next.

Cheers for the previous information

Regards JAMIE

Hi Dave

What is the Bachman Code for the "couplings to the Bachmann long type" and also the Bachmann code for the wheels as I was planning on doing the couplings next.

Regards JAMIE

Will get back to you on those Jamie.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

I stayed in Scotland from 6 July 1985 to 12 July 1985 on a bashing trip and we travelled from Glasgow to Perth to Edinburgh regularly (mainly to find 27s on the Dundees).

Looking at loco hauled travel there were 3 Aberdeen Mk 2 diagrams per day and we regularly saw 3 sets:

9703, 3245, 6601, 6604, 5662, 5653, 92088 + loco

9705, 17140, 6605, 5726, 5671, 92061 + loco

9702, 3265, 6603, 5673, 5663, 5711, 92091 + loco

We didn't see either of the other 2 BGs (92086 or 92128) but there were enough spare Mk2 air cons to make a complete spare rake so one of them might have been attached to that semi permanently. I wouldn't want to say that they never ran in other rakes in Scotland but I've never seen a photo (Bob Reid will know!)

They only lasted in Scotland until the summer of 1986 and were only in the Aberdeen rakes from May 1985 to May 1986 after which they were moved to Heaton, York and Crown Point and were quite quickly repainted InterCity.

Thanks for that Flood.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

This Heljan loco also needs some mechanical attention, I think because the rotating carden shaft keeps slipping where it joins onto the bogie tower at one end. Anyone come across this problem and solved it? It's really the only running problem I've had with any of my Heljan locos.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

Glenn and I had this with two locos. Basically the rotating plastic shaft locates into a plastic collar on a metal shaft in the bogie tower. It was the plastic collar that was slipping on the metal shaft so we very carefully super glued it on. No problems at all since then.

Hi Dave

Regards JAMIE

Hi Jamie,

The codes are:

Couplings: 36-026 ("mini type long")

Wheels: 36-033 or 36-017. Hornby also do a metal wheel pack: R8097

Glenn and I had this with two locos. Basically the rotating plastic shaft locates into a plastic collar on a metal shaft in the bogie tower. It was the plastic collar that was slipping on the metal shaft so we very carefully super glued it on. No problems at all since then.

Thanks for that flood. I did try that but ended up gluing the shaft onto the bogie tower! I obviously wasn't as careful as you!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Perhaps I'll give it another go!!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi folks,

I thought it was about time I posted some more pics of the layout in its BR Blue guise, with the emphasis on one of the new arrivals - 25083.

Hope you like them...

26031 waits for the right away on a Perth train...

post-7247-12638996265914_thumb.jpg

25083 runs through Princes St. light engine...

post-7247-12638996817535_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12638997375296_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12638997813458_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12638999579722_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12638999829039_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12639000041232_thumb.jpg

Plus a last shot of 47510 before its renumbering to a Scottish-based duff...

post-7247-12639000379381_thumb.jpg

And finally, work continues apace on the Mk 2ds. Here is a snapshot of one of the ScotRail ones in its current state. Plenty of work still to be done but they're getting there.

post-7247-12639000640081_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 4

Hi Dave,

More great pics, icon_thumbsup2.gif your 26 looks good, are you going to add pipework to one end of the Rat? and what number do you have in mind for the blue Duff?

I like the mk2 as well good luck with getting it back together though, some of mine were a real pain.icon_rolleyes.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Dave,

More great pics, icon_thumbsup2.gif your 26 looks good, are you going to add pipework to one end of the Rat? and what number do you have in mind for the blue Duff?

I like the mk2 as well good luck with getting it back together though, some of mine were a real pain.icon_rolleyes.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

I'm thinking of 47470 University of Edinburgh but I'm not sure it ran with domino headcodes when named (in 1983), probably not. Any ideas? Otherwise, I need to look for a domino headcoded Scottish 47 that I can get nameplates for, or maybe plate over the headcode panels. Watch this space!

Getting the glazing out of the Mk2's was a real pain. I managed it in the end but because I broke so many (not across the windows fortunately) they are going to have to go back in the same coaches and the same way round they came out!

As regards the rat, I'm not sure yet but probably. It does look kind of basic next to the 26s and 27s with all their pipework.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Peter,

I'm thinking of 47470 University of Edinburgh but I'm not sure it ran with domino headcodes when named (in 1983), probably not. Any ideas? Otherwise, I need to look for a domino headcoded Scottish 47 that I can get nameplates for, or maybe plate over the headcode panels. Watch this space!

Getting the glazing out of the Mk2's was a real pain. I managed it in the end but because I broke so many (not across the windows fortunately) they are going to have to go back in the same coaches and the same way round they came out!

As regards the rat, I'm not sure yet but probably. It does look kind of basic next to the 26s and 27s with all their pipework.

Cheers,

Dave

hi dave

links to 47470 University of Edinburgh

http://www.brushtype...g=0961000164018

http://www.brushtype...g=0559020158022

http://www.brushtype...very=3&output=t

http://www.brushtype...g=1151051588211

hope that helps

Hi Dave,

I am sure you would of heard about this layout, Airthrey Park, its a great layout they have some Scottish region pics on their fotopic site. Plus some great pics of their stock, 47562 might interest you.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Carl,

Superb. Thanks a million for that.

I see from http://www.brushtype4.co.uk/bt4_search.php?number=47470&livery=3&output=t that the headcodes were plated over before it was named. Humph, thought so. I've got a feeling I have a spare Heljan body with plated over headcodes somewhere, so I'll see if I can dig that out. Unless I can find a Scottish domino-headcoded named 47 (apart from the 47/7s), 47510 might just stay as she is. Having seen a photo of 47484 Isambard Kingdom Brunel at Glasgow Queen St yesterday, the idea of 47510 visiting Waverley/Haymarket doesn't seem so bad after all.

By the way Carl, how's the Hebridean Isles coming along? You've been starving us all of updates recently, you cruel man. Mind you, looking on the bright side, my therapist says I might be released next week if I continue my current progress. biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

510 would be no suprise in scotland, i live in Devon and visited Inverness one day, two 47s there, one was Glorious Devon and other was County of Somerset!! long way to travel for 2 regulars at Exeter at the time. :angry: still loving layout by the way, Esp since seen the room its in.......... :icon_wow:

510 would be no suprise in scotland, i live in Devon and visited Inverness one day, two 47s there, one was Glorious Devon and other was County of Somerset!! long way to travel for 2 regulars at Exeter at the time. angry.gif still loving layout by the way, Esp since seen the room its in.......... icon_wow.gif

Cheers for that owentherail. I do remember seeing a photo of Glorious Devon at Aviemore once now you mention it, so maybe I shouldn't worry about it. They certainly got about those 47s.

Hi Dave,

I am sure you would of heard about this layout, Airthrey Park, its a great layout they have some Scottish region pics on their fotopic site. Plus some great pics of their stock, 47562 might interest you.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Yes, I know it, it was in Rail Express Modeller a while back, wasn't it? I hadn't seen their fotopic site before though. Just found it now. There's some good shots on there. Prototype shots of Waverley too.

47562 certainly is of interest to me. Something to think about there.

Cheers Peter, you're a star! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif (PS Where's the thumbs up emoticon these days, anyone know??!).

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Peter,

Yes, I know it, it was in Rail Express Modeller a while back, wasn't it? I hadn't seen their fotopic site before though. Just found it now. There's some good shots on there. Prototype shots of Waverley too.

47562 certainly is of interest to me. Something to think about there.

Cheers Peter, you're a star! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif (PS Where's the thumbs up emoticon these days, anyone know??!).

Cheers,

Dave

icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif

icon_wave.gif