Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post some pics of details from around the layout. Hope you like them!

You can click on the pics for a larger version and then click on "Next" which appears in the top-right of the pic to scroll to the next one.

First up, some platform details as a driver awaits his next turn...

post-7247-12640702954337_thumb.jpg

Secondly, a view down the southern ramp into the station with the North Bridge in the background...

post-7247-12640703373419_thumb.jpg

A couple looking north along Waverley Bridge with Princes St in the background...

post-7247-12640703860266_thumb.jpg

post-7247-1264070409473_thumb.jpg

Next, 26031 careers hopelessly out of control around the layout without a driver (I was sure it had one until I took this shot!)...

post-7247-12640704372789_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12640705652273_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12640706389318_thumb.jpg

Some of the road vehicles at Haymarket depot...

post-7247-12640708285079_thumb.jpg

Plus an overall view of the station peering over the ramparts of Waverley Bridge...

post-7247-12640710539807_thumb.jpg

And finally, 50044 is still receiving attention on that troublesome bogie...

post-7247-12640706583549_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 7

Hi Dave,

I've been lurking on the forum a while now and always check by for some of your updates - what can I say other than :icon_drool: it just shows you that as long as you have a great eye for detail you don't need an area the size of an aircraft hangar to have and operate a great layout :icon_thumbsup2:

Just one question from me - and sorry if you've already mentioned it - how do you go about weathering your rolling stock? Even with some of the close up shots it all looks more than realistic to me and it would be great to know something of the technique used.

Thanks in advance

Dave

PS. Keep posting the pics as I never tire of seeing them!

Hi Dave,

I was just admiring your recently uploaded photos and wondered if you had considered adding Salisbury Crags and a glimpse of Arthur's Seat to the backscene behind North Bridge? (A quick Google search shows what I mean, albeit from the wrong angle). Thanks for sharing your work with us, WW is a magnificent achievement.

waverley.jpg

Hi Dave

Just like to say I love your latest uploads of photos and I have to say the Deltic in the station is my favourite shot...

But the other are great to... I like the road scene with the traffic

As always great layout, love the photos and keep them coming...!

Thanks again...

Jamie

Hi folks,

Thanks for your comments. I will get around to answering them!

In the meantime, I thought I'd post a few more shots...

A 26 arrives at Waverley through The Mound...

post-7247-1264161377526_thumb.jpg

55007 gets the right-away to depart for Aberdeen...

post-7247-12641611037575_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12641611397191_thumb.jpg

55007 later in its journey...

post-7247-12641611672571_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12641612770482_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 4

Hi again folks,

Here are couple more shots which I forgot to add last time... Hope you're not getting bored of these!

post-7247-12641722680708_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12641722814718_thumb.jpg

As there have been a few requests for more info on my weathering techniques, maybe I should start a workbench thread. My methods are pretty crude by comparison with the experts, but they work well enough for me and I'm happy with the results. I have also yet to ruin an item of rolling stock, which is just as important!

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

I was just admiring your recently uploaded photos and wondered if you had considered adding Salisbury Crags and a glimpse of Arthur's Seat to the backscene behind North Bridge? (A quick Google search shows what I mean, albeit from the wrong angle). Thanks for sharing your work with us, WW is a magnificent achievement.

waverley.jpg

Hi forest2807,

Thanks for your kind comments. As I normally view the layout from "the south" and from a fairly low angle when operating it, I don't think you would see either Salisbury Crags or Arthur's Seat. I've often wondered exactly what to include and what not to include, as obviously the layout is viewed from many different angles and heights.

Getting views for the backscene of all the buildings and so on from the right angle and with the right lighting proved pretty tricky and took a couple of trips to Edinburgh and Waverley itself, not that that's a burden!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 1

Hi,

I love the layout, I saw it in Model Rail Magazine and thought it was fantastic. I am from Edinburgh and have always wondered how to do the Waverley in model form. Now I don't have too.

I now that you have set the layout in the 80's and I didn't to be picky, but I thought that my observations might be useful. The taxi's you have all look correct but I noticed the one coming up the station ramp has advertising on the side. This didn't happen until the early 90's. You could also make them look like Edinburgh cabs by adding the yellow cab plates on the grill and back of the cab. My Dad was a taxi driver during this period and I think I can find a picture or two to help if you want.

Please don't think my being too critical, because you have inspired me to try and model parts of the Edinburgh South Suburban railway.

Thanks for sharing the pictures,

Chris

Been looking for this layout (not very well obviously!) since spotting your avatar on a couple of posts. I've gotta agree with the previous posts, It looks excellent, even my wife was stunned by the phots! I'm coming up to your show in a couple of weeks with our layout of many stripey trains, Coppell. Come say hello, I'll even bring a couple of 27's for railtour duties, inc a 27/2! kev.

Glad to find this again - a bit slow I mayberolleyes.gif . It is such a great layout. That view of the ramp going down into the station - the one with the Taxi at the top of the ramp is paricularly evocative.

Hi,

I now that you have set the layout in the 80's and I didn't to be picky, but I thought that my observations might be useful. The taxi's you have all look correct but I noticed the one coming up the station ramp has advertising on the side. This didn't happen until the early 90's. You could also make them look like Edinburgh cabs by adding the yellow cab plates on the grill and back of the cab. My Dad was a taxi driver during this period and I think I can find a picture or two to help if you want.

Please don't think my being too critical, because you have inspired me to try and model parts of the Edinburgh South Suburban railway.

Thanks for sharing the pictures,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Not at all. Thanks for the info. Any info which can make Waverley West more accurate is welcomed. To be honest, I'm not really a stickler for absolute accuracy. With Waverley West I have always gone for the atmosphere of the place. I doubt there's a dimension on the layout which is remotely prototypical, but hopefully I've still managed to capture the atmosphere. That doesn't stop me trying to be as accurate as reasonably possible though, so thanks again for the info, Chris.

Been looking for this layout (not very well obviously!) since spotting your avatar on a couple of posts. I've gotta agree with the previous posts, It looks excellent, even my wife was stunned by the phots! I'm coming up to your show in a couple of weeks with our layout of many stripey trains, Coppell. Come say hello, I'll even bring a couple of 27's for railtour duties, inc a 27/2! kev.

Hi Kev,

I certainly will. See you there!

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated. While I'm here, I thought I'd post a couple of pics. The speed freak in me has escaped again I'm afraid...

Altogether now.... "This is the Aaaaage... of the Train".... biggrin.gif

post-7247-12651973768301_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12651973987537_thumb.jpg

My Mk2ds are now almost finished, just a bit of touching up to do. Then the prospect of doing 6 more.... sad.gif

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 4

Hi Alex,

Thanks. I have a couple of 60s stored away in boxes at the moment (an EWS one and a green 60081). They will one day see the light of day but are quite far down the list at the moment. I quite fancy a big sticker EWS one too, but what I'd really like is a Coal Sector one. In the continuing absence of an RTR one (unbelievably), I will have to respray one and that too is on the list. In the meantime, I'm hoping Hornby will see sense and produce one to save me the time.

Don't worry, Alex, tugs will one day hit Waverley West!

Interesting info that too, Alex, thanks. Do you happen to know which ones ventured north, and in what livery?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, I look forward to seeing some 60s at Waverley West, especially 081!

You could get a Mainline 077, remove the numbers, logos and name plate and add coal sector transfers and hey presto a coal 60 without the need to respray one!

Would be nice if Hornby were to do 095 when it carried just unbranded triple grey, that would make it very easy to renumber and allow many triple grey examples to be modelled. They would sell bucket loads of them!

It was June 1990, 60001 and 002 ventured up to Inverness on some Redland hoppers and a test coach. Might be something to have on your layout! cool.gif

Hi Dave, I look forward to seeing some 60s at Waverley West, especially 081!

You could get a Mainline 077, remove the numbers, logos and name plate and add coal sector transfers and hey presto a coal 60 without the need to respray one!

Would be nice if Hornby were to do 095 when it carried just unbranded triple grey, that would make it very easy to renumber and allow many triple grey examples to be modelled. They would sell bucket loads of them!

It was June 1990, 60001 and 002 ventured up to Inverness on some Redland hoppers and a test coach. Might be something to have on your layout! cool.gif

I like the idea of an unbranded triple grey one. Hornby could put me down for a couple for a start! I really don't understand why it's taking them so long to produce some decent sector 60s (i.e. ones without Transrail branding for example - if you want that, you can add it yourself easily enough but it's not so easy to remove with perfect results).

I like the idea of a test train too. Something for the future methinks.

Cheers Alex.

Dave

Dave,

I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks and just picked up a copy of Model Rail to look at again. I have to say that I didn't really appreciate how narrow the layout really is around the station. The way you've managed to replicate the atmosphere and sense of place in such a "small" area is a real testament to your skills.

I am sir, very impressed and envious.

icon_thumbsup2.gif

Branchie.