Gauge O Guild Gazette - November 2009

Pint of Adnams

Another 96 page issue in full colour, with adverts for 7mm scale products, tools and materials.

Articles include:

A Bridge Too Far - Geoff Byman. Construction of a bridge from PVCu cladding for a garden railway.

GWR 1361 Class Dock Tank, Eddie Sanford. Brief description of model from a rescued whitemetal kit.

Little Egbert, John Lewis. Description of a scratch-built L&Y 0-8-2T.

The Stephenson Valve Geared LMS Class 5, Nick Dunhill. Prototype notes and description of constructing this version of the David Andrews kit.

Titivating Skytrex Wagons, David Bugler. 5 - The One Plank Open. 6 - Interior Planking on Open Wagon.

Coaches from Styrene, Tim Taylor. Scratchbuilding coaches; techniques described with CAD realisations to help explain.

Colour Schemes for Railway Buildings, Peter Smith (Kirtley Model Buildings). 1 - The Great Western Railway and Constituents. An attempt to clarify and dispel some myths about the various colours used, first of 5 articles covering the Big 4 and BR.

Beckford Market & Waveney Elms, Graham Overton. Possibly the last GE-area based layout from Graham described and with layout plan.

Print Sides for a Rake of Gresley Coaches, Mike Swain. Digital photo+Photoshop+Pritt Stick = result.

Modelling Competition and Show. Photo Reports from Guildex 2009.

Pattern Making for Resin Cast Springs, Richard Davidson. Third article on the pattern-making and casting techniques.

School Dinner Break 1950, Mike Clutterbuck. Schoolboy spotting reminiscences in Chester.

Regular Features:

Reviews, covering: M&M Models Welcome Wagons WW06 21T Mineral Wagon (8 shoe brake); Haywood Railway MR DIa 298 Calf Van; Skytrex Class 40 Diesel (plus detailing improvements); Weathering service by Lord & Butler; CRT Mk 1 27' 6" Horsebox kit Dia. 751.

Book Review: Larger Scale Model Railway Etched Kit Building, Peter Smith, published by Gauge1trains.co.uk (owned by Author).

TIO Report - Special: photos + text description of how to Assemble a Plastic Wagon Kit (in this case a Parkside SR Van).

Trade News: since it was Guildex, there were a lot of new releases and other updates, far too many to list (13 pages!)

Mailvan (correspondence), President's and Chairman's Reports.

Guest dilbert

I always look forward to receiving the Gazette and this issue is up to the same standard.

In the regular features, I like the structure of the product reviews, especially the fact that the supplier is given the opportunity to comment on the review of the product - an approach which overall strikes a good balance.

The trade news is as always a diverse and interesting read and I thought the tribute to Gordon Waller well penned...dilbert

I think that given the quality of the gazette (this month being a really good read), plus the other bits and bobs, GOG membership is a bit of a bargain.

Hi Phil,

That Reading show I told you about is on Saturday the 5th Dec so if your roster permits you, and you want to go and you would like a lift drop us a line.

All the best, Martyn.

Archived