Copper Clad Board Suppliers

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of a supplier who cuts copper clad board to order? I'm preferably after some 0.8mm thick stuff in 26mm wide strips and either single or double sided. The length of the strips isn't critical but anything over 300mm would be useful. I've had a good hunt around the internet but I couldn't see anything or anyone that really fitted the bill. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Pix

• RMweb Premium

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of a supplier who cuts copper clad board to order? I'm preferably after some 0.8mm thick stuff in 26mm wide strips and either single or double sided. The length of the strips isn't critical but anything over 300mm would be useful. I've had a good hunt around the internet but I couldn't see anything or anyone that really fitted the bill. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Pix

I used to work in electronics and to me that's seems an odd size, even the thickness seems less than normal.

May I be cheeky and enquire the use?

Keith

May I be cheeky and enquire the use?

Hi Kieth,

There's nothing cheeky about that ;) I mentioned 0.8mm as it's the thickness used by the 2mm Association for their PCB sleepers and I've got an idea for some cassettes that I'd like to try out. From my Googling it seems that the standard thickness board is 1.6mm, although there are a few places that offer 0.8mm board (http://www.crownhill...t.php?prod=1466 for example). 1.6mm will also be usable but it just means I've got to have a little but more of a gradient into the run up.

I was hoping that someone offers a cutting service (A bit like B&Q do with sheet wood) as I've found PCB a complete sod to cut before... my attempts to try and cut long straight lines would win comedy awards. ;)

Thanks for the reply!

Pix

I was hoping that someone offers a cutting service (A bit like B&Q do with sheet wood) as I've found PCB a complete sod to cut before... my attempts to try and cut long straight lines would win comedy awards. ;)

Don't know about a cutting service, but you can obtain photoresist 0.8mm board from RS Components, such as:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=1752847

If you are planning to use the material for cassettes you might consider actually etching a pattern in the copper as part of the construction, perhaps sleepers for the rails, for example.

With the right piece of kit, cutting this material is very straightforward. I use a Proxxon mini table saw with a diamond coated cutting blade for my own PCB work.

Have a look in your yellow pages for PCB manufacturers. There is a surprising amount of waste and even with copper prices so high, it is still uneconomical to recover it from waste laminate. Can't see a problem getting 0.8 as it is one of the standard thicknesses. Again, obtaining double sided should not be a problem. Most firm would be only to happy to let you have some, probably free. I worked for a PCB maker for 28 years and we would get someone asking for small bits of waste every couple of weeks or so, we also gave offcuts to a local independent electrical store. The nearest to you is probably Quick Circuits in Reading.

• RMweb Gold
Does anyone know of a supplier who cuts copper clad board to order?

Hi Pix,

It's been a good few years now, but Crossley & Bradley in Leyland have cropped 0.8mm laminate strips for me in the past, in similar sizes to yours -- I wanted 16" x 1.5". Single and double-sided, and unclad base laminate. They were always very helpful:

http://www.crossley-bradley.co.uk

regards,

Martin.

Thanks for all the replies guys and girls - I've followed them all up but sadly I think they're more geared up for industrial orders and either had a minimum order of £100 (which I'd rather invest in that lovely looking Proxxon saw) or would require me to buy a whole 8' x 4' sheet of material! In the end I ordered some from Crownhill Associates and had a stab at cutting it myself. Scoring it on both sides and snapping it seems to work well for the desired use.

med_gallery_6716_1269_94078.jpg

All the best,

PIx

That looks like a result there Pix with the cassettes. Have you considered guilotining the PCB? I am sure you could find a friendly engineering company with one that could help. I have cut PCB with one before.

Missy :)

Archived