Whether to Weather with Muz a staged approach

The method used here by muz is very much like the way that I do my weathering. Its a staged technique with many areas very rightly addressed in different manners. It gives the weathering depth and believability, a far cry from a quick blow over with frame dirt for sure, and yes I am a diesel modeller so this works just as well for anything you wish to throw at it. My Vitrains 47 was done this way.

post-6894-0-68203800-1297888155_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cav

Good thread, do you use a varnish before weathering? I've read this somewhere and seems sensible to keep the original livery secure.

Like Muz, I would recommend varnishing the area where the decals have been changed: cabsides, tender sides or both. For diesels I prefer to hand varnish the number transfers as re-spraying the entire bodyside is fraught with problems (dust, mainly).

Just mask off the area with low-tack masking tape (most of the stuff sold in 'cheap' shops will do the job), these days I prefer to mask the entire cabside or tender as a few coats of thinned satin varnish give a consistent finish that can then be weathered without the risk of damage to the decals under the varnish layer.

Glenn

Archived