Churnet valley extension news

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Gold

This looks very ambitious - I have to wonder if the freight from Caldon Low is actually viable? I would have thought that one of the existing companies would have pushed for Network Rail to re-open the line if traffic is available.

I do wish them well nevertheless - it's good to see some positive news smile.gif

This looks very ambitious - I have to wonder if the freight from Caldon Low is actually viable? I would have thought that one of the existing companies would have pushed for Network Rail to re-open the line if traffic is available.

I do wish them well nevertheless - it's good to see some positive news smile.gif

Surprised m-i-l hasn't sent me this, as she lives close to.

The Caldon cement traffic revival has been talked about before, and appeared in a couple of Railtrack's Wishlists- sorry, Network Management Statements. I would think that all track would have to be replaced before anything as heavy as a cement wagon travels over it- previously, the heaviest things to work to Caldon were Class 25s, with an axle load of just over 20t, whereas the modern cement tanks come in at 25.5t. I can't recollect having seen, either in reality, or in photos, any cement traffic from Caldon Low- the only stuff I remember from there was stone for Witton in Birmingham in MTV opens, and rock armour on vac-fitted plates, back in 1978/9.

Brian's assessment is good and although I'm keen to see something happen I'm not convinced by the viability of the scheme overall. I think it may be more than trackwork to ever see modern stock working to Caldon Low as there's some comparatively frail looking bridges en route.

• Is there enough traffic to/from Caldon to justify investment? I doubt it it TBH and can't see additional development in that part of the Moorlands being welcomed.
  • Any line into Leek would have to be edge of town now due to development.
  • I can't see leisure travel into the Potteries being too appealing.
  • Staffordshire County Council have granted use of the trackbed to Alton to Severn Trent water for supply/drainage pipes.
  • Travelling to Alton station isn't actually that useful for anyone going to Alton Towers unless a bus link was established, not that I think many would travel there that way.

However I'd love to see the CVR being able to use the line beyond Leekbrook to Caldon Low at a future point.

Train travel in to Stoke is unappealing due to the Station being miles from anywhere - even in the peak hours it's hardly busy.

There's a piece on this in the latest Today's Railways UK. It gives a timescale of 2 years and talks about cement traffic from Cauldon (and the cement company are backing the scheme).

Train travel in to Stoke is unappealing due to the Station being miles from anywhere - even in the peak hours it's hardly busy.

There's a piece on this in the latest Today's Railways UK. It gives a timescale of 2 years and talks about cement traffic from Cauldon (and the cement company are backing the scheme).

Stoke station is convenient for Stoke- it's just that Stoke isn't the city centre of the City of Stoke on Trent. For that you have to 'Go up Hanley, duck'. It could be worse- it might be in Fenton....

It will cost a packet for the relaying, and as Andy said, some of the bridges aren't too clever. If it cuts down the traffic on Ash Bank, I'm all for it- that road's 'orrible to to turn on or off.

• RMweb Gold

Brian's assessment is good and although I'm keen to see something happen I'm not convinced by the viability of the scheme overall. I think it may be more than trackwork to ever see modern stock working to Caldon Low as there's some comparatively frail looking bridges en route.

• Is there enough traffic to/from Caldon to justify investment? I doubt it it TBH and can't see additional development in that part of the Moorlands being welcomed.
  • Any line into Leek would have to be edge of town now due to development.
  • Staffordshire County Council have granted use of the trackbed to Alton to Severn Trent water for supply/drainage pipes.
  • Travelling to Alton station isn't actually that useful for anyone going to Alton Towers unless a bus link was established, not that I think many would travel there that way.

However I'd love to see the CVR being able to use the line beyond Leekbrook to Caldon Low at a future point.

Having recently been involved in a possible contract (we didn't get it - they seemed to want a lot of work for very little, but no hard feelings as that sort of thing is not unusual :rolleyes: ) in respect of certain things being planned for this little network of railways I seriously wonder where on earth they are going to find the money to do everything they have in mind (which is not stated in the link as it happens). I reckon - without including anything for bridgeworks - they must be looking at the best part of ??60 million as a lot of relayng would be necessary for running trains up to RA7 and we did a shot estimate (at very broad tolerance) on signalling work and that alone came to c.??11-15 million.

So it sounds like a nice idea but now they have got to get the cash in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The section by bottom house gets badly flooded too, IIRC the last bridge into the cement works is in a terrible state. I'd love to see this happen, I have many wonderfull memories of 37s slogging their hearts out on the bank to bottom house, but I can't see it happening TBH>

• 1 year later...

Archived