Cl. 33/73/CEP/EPB/VEP: central buffing plate

Dogmatix

This topic could go in the Hornby, or Bachmann sections, but I put it here with regard to the Heljan Cl.33/1 models.

When Southern Electric units with central buffing plates and buckeye couplers are connected, the normal buffers are retracted and thus do not make contact, their function being taken over by the central buffing plate (which is part of the corridor connection on CEP, VEP etc) or the buckeye. The buffers are only fitted for rare use when connecting to other stock, and are then extended.

The Bachmann CEP and (judging by pictures) the Bachmann EPB and Hornby VEP are all modelled with buffers retracted.

My old Lima 73, and I presume the Hornby version, has the buffers in line with the central buffing plate - halfway between retracted and extended. With a wee bit of cutting and refixing, the buffing plate could be set back a bit to make the buffers appear extended, or slightly shorter buffers could be fitted as retracted for use with EMUs.

How does it look with the Heljan Class 33/1? I have only seen one picture, and it looks like the central buffing plate is way too small and far too far back, is that right? So for use with EMUs, it would need to be replaced with one which extends beyond the buffers (say, one off an old broken Lime 73)?

Hi,

There's some pics here that may help

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3395&p=711578&hilit=lapford34102#p676842

and here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3395&p=711578&hilit=lapford34102#p704879

You'll have to scroll a bit

MJT do some nice W/Metal ones but I have to admit to be being a bit baffled by So for use with EMUs

33/1 did not often run with EMU's There was a shortish lived Sat service of VEP/TC/33 that ran together to Bournemouth and then the TC/33 went on to Swanage and a similar setup that ran to Basingstoke and split with the TC/33 going to Salisbury. Perhaps though you've got other ideas.

HTH

Stu

Hi,

33/1 did not often run with EMU's There was a shortish lived Sat service of VEP/TC/33 that ran together to Bournemouth and then the TC/33 went on to Swanage and a similar setup that ran to Basingstoke and split with the TC/33 going to Salisbury. Perhaps though you've got other ideas.

HTH

Stu

Hi Stu!

Although the 4-TC and 3-TC sets were unpowered trailer sets, I suspect that a goodly number of people regarded them as EMUs, or at least, as 'honorary' EMUs! Without looking through the picture albums, I can't remember whether or not they had pick-up shoes fitted, or were the 4-REPs and Class 73s reliant on just their own pick-ups when coupled with 4-TC (and 3-TC) sets? (Probably should be asking in 'Prototype questions, but it has some relevance in this thread!;)

Richard

Although the 4-TC and 3-TC sets were unpowered trailer sets, I suspect that a goodly number of people regarded them as EMUs

Fair point :) TC's never had pickups fitted. REP's had pickups on all 4 powered bogies of the DMS's rather than the usual outer 2 of CEP's, SUB's etc

Stu

• RMweb Premium

SR 3TC and 4TC trailer sets which were designed to work with electric stock have always been regarded as electric multiple units even though they could equally well be diesel (or even steam!) powered. Class 33/1 operated with them in push-pull mode for their entire lives and over many (mostly SWD) routes. Bournemouth - Weymouth is perhaps where they are best remembered.

The Heljan 33/1 does not mate exactly with the Bachmann CEP. I have yet to have an opportunity to try it with a VEP or EPB unit as they are still awaited.

For my money the coupling is close enough in "shove" mode to look realistic (though not perfect by any means) however the couplers occasionally over-ride due to their differring height and mountings. In "drag" mode the usual large gap occurs which is much harder to overcome without significant modifications.

• RMweb Premium
A prototype pic.

Close inspection will reveal the equally prototypical slightly pushed-in appearance of the TC's gangway at the bottom. This is caused by the loco's rubbing plate which can be seen pressing against the bottom edge of the gangway.

• RMweb Gold

Although the 4-TC and 3-TC sets were unpowered trailer sets, I suspect that a goodly number of people regarded them as EMUs, or at least, as 'honorary' EMUs! Without looking through the picture albums, I can't remember whether or not they had pick-up shoes fitted, or were the 4-REPs and Class 73s reliant on just their own pick-ups when coupled with 4-TC (and 3-TC) sets? (

The TCs would not have been fitted with shoes, because to make use of them for more than lighting and heating, i.e. passing 750v to the attached unit, would have required a jumper at line volts. These are very nasty pieces of kit for shunters and traincrew making attachments and detachments, and have not been used between sets in many years. The 4-SUBs had them, and if you pulled a jumper on a unit that wasn't on the juice, there could be a huge arc and serious burns and/or blindness might well result.

The TCs would not have been fitted with shoes, because to make use of them for more than lighting and heating, i.e. passing 750v to the attached unit, would have required a jumper at line volts.

Thank you for this info - now that it's been explained, it's a very sensible situation! I certainly wouldn't have wanted to handle a potentially live jumper connection at line voltage! :O

Richard :rolleyes:

The TCs would not have been fitted with shoes, because to make use of them for more than lighting and heating, i.e. passing 750v to the attached unit, would have required a jumper at line volts. These are very nasty pieces of kit for shunters and traincrew making attachments and detachments, and have not been used between sets in many years. The 4-SUBs had them, and if you pulled a jumper on a unit that wasn't on the juice, there could be a huge arc and serious burns and/or blindness might well result.

The TCs/REPs did have ETS jumpers to allow the TCs to be heated and to supply the MG sets for lighting etc. These jumpers were supplied at line volts by the REPs/EDs and 750V DC by 33/1s. The supply was shut down before the shunter went under. This is why all the lights (except the emergency ones) used to go out on the TCs on arrival at Bournemouth and Waterloo. Iirc the supply was controlled by the master controller on REP, TC, ED and 33/1. The picture posted by Ceptic above shows the ets jumper connected between the 33/1 and TC.

The main reason the TCs didn't have shoes was route availability.

As has been said the REPs had shoe beams on all their powered bogies, and each beam carried 2 shoes so there were eight shoes on each motor coach.

Archived