If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

I thought I would give you a heads up, as to what's coming

Mark 37

Hi all,

I have added a couple of posts here and there, but thought I had better introduce my self.

I’m a 37 year old with a four year old son. I’ve told the wife “I’m doing this for himâ€;) , and well I am really with a little input from myself. I have planned a layout for our box room (6.5’ x 7.75’). This is pretty much what I want to do given the space restraints. I have the time (out of work ill) on the flip side I don’t have the cash (isn’t that the usual story…:().

We will be DCC locos with DC controlled points. I have just sold the last of the DC locos that were not worth saving and we have replaced a few for the moment. Model Rail Scotland coming up (the wife runs to hide bank cards)! I will try and keep as much as possible scale (we do have Hornby signal lights, even I groan at that).

My modelling experiences come from RC ships, so I’m sure to ask a lot of stupid questions (I am blond you know), so please be gentle with me. I’ve been reading as many posts as I can divulge (brain has went into melt down).

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Welcome Mark! DCC with DC points works well, but in no way stops you making the points DCC in due course, which some people find works for them, others of us less so. I have assumed you will be modelling your native land, and there are some distinguished Scots models - and modellers! - on here, so you will be in good company.

Welcome to the forum Mark.

We hope that your health and subsequently work prospects improve rapidly.

Our regards to you and your family.

David and Lynda

Wow, that was fast and very welcoming. Thanks!

Welcome Mark! DCC with DC points works well, but in no way stops you making the points DCC in due course, which some people find works for them, others of us less so. I have assumed you will be modelling your native land, and there are some distinguished Scots models - and modellers! - on here, so you will be in good company.

My signature gave it away. Yes I will have Scottish (mostly Eastfield Depot) locos on a fictitious layout. I don’t think my railway modelling skills would stand up to scrutiny if I were to build a scale replica.

I have noticed a lot of BR Blue and Scottish based layouts. That's why I had to join.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the mad, mad world that is RMWeb. Nice to meet another believer (large logo 37s and 47s and all that). As you say, there are plenty of other Scottish layouts on here, so you've come to the right place.

DCC is the way to go, with or without point control. DCC sound though will force you to get back to work if you go down that road. :D Be warned.

RC ships, eh? You have my respect already, so no need for pleas for leniancy.

Hope your health improves soon. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Mark,

DCC is the way to go, with or without point control. DCC sound though will force you to get back to work if you go down that road. :D Be warned.

RC ships, eh? You have my respect already, so no need for pleas for leniancy.

Hope your health improves soon. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Oops, I already bought one at christmas for the wee yin.:rolleyes:

I've already spent my first 3-4 wages already on class 47, 156, 158 sound units (just wait until the wife finds out) :aggressive_mini: :vava_mini: .................:laugh_mini: I laugh now (and duck for cover too).

Regards,

Mark

Oooohhh dear. Well, it might not be too late to salvage what you can out of the situation. I work from home so am always at home when "certain parcels" arrive. I just make sure the parcels are suitably unwrapped and look like any other loco box or decoder lying around.

As for the credit card bill at the end of the month, well make sure you deal with that yourself. Doesn't make the financial pain any easier of course, but it does keep the marriage going longer. :D :D

Cheers,

Dave

Well with the larger (not very big) layout in the pipe line. I decided tonight was the night to tell the wife "I'm going to do a 8' x 2' folding layout" (I actualy said 8' x 1') to test some ideas.

well the wee yin needs something to run his locos on.;)

Mark

Guest Max Stafford

Welcome to the forum Mark.

Although I model the ScR in the green era, I do have a liking for the Large Logo era having spent the odd Saturday afternoon at Queen Street back in the '80s whilst 'up the toon'!

You'll find plenty to inspire and entertain here!

Dave.

Hi all,

My modelling experiences come from RC ships, so I’m sure to ask a lot of stupid questions (I am blond you know), so please be gentle with me. I’ve been reading as many posts as I can divulge (brain has went into melt down).

Regards,

Mark

Hello Mark.

I noticed your mention of modelling RC ships.

Do you know if any UK ship model clubs have ever built anything from the

American Civil War/War of the Rebellion period?

What I'm particularly after is the US 'Ironclad' type river vessel .

Mac.

Thanks again for the welcome. I keep looking through all the great layouts on here and I'm just itching to get started.

Mac,

I've sent a PM, hope this helps.

Regards,

mark

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Useful information: have sent you Pvt Mail.

Mac.

Archived