BR CCTs and GUVs

Hello All,

I'm making up a parcels/van train and I want a BR CCT, I know Hornby do one but I've heard it's not a great model, is there a detailing kit or a list of suggested parts available to upgrade it? Or better yet, I remember reading about an etched kit, but I can't remember who made it.

I'm also detailing a Lima GUV at the moment, and I want some brake gear for it, I seem to remember Masokits do some - is that right?

Cheers,

Rick

Think you just missed this thread on the CCT http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/30376-lima-cct-basic-improvements/

Masterclass models made the brass kit.

Masokits do a small etch with some vee's, dymo belt and gangway bits on it. You'll need lengths of brass wire really though if you want to put the rodding in. Personally i'd ditch it and go Bachmann there as they aren't too expensive when compared to a Lima plus the detailing bits.

Guest stuartp

I know Hornby do one but I've heard it's not a great model ... I'm also detailing a Lima GUV at the moment,

The Hornby CCT is the Lima one with finer wheels. The body moulding is comparable with your GUV, the chassis deficiencies are dealt with on the Craig's link.

The Hornby CCT is the Lima one with finer wheels. The body moulding is comparable with your GUV, the chassis deficiencies are dealt with on the Craig's link.

Would I be correct in assuming that the underframe moulding has not been touched so the van now rides 0.5mm high, as Hornby's wheels are 12.5mm dia. against Lima's at 11.5mm (1 metre in H0 scale - they're fitted to all their continental stock) or have they fitted 14mm to lift it neare their own interpretation of buffer height?

I have one or two Lima ones on the 'to do' list - they probably end up on Nucro suspension units, which I have in stock (shows his age). The bogie GUV is less of a problem - The Lima bogies go in the bin* and something better goes in their place - Bachmann for example.

* Not so much that they're all that bad, but there are wheel size problems.

• RMweb Gold

Would I be correct in assuming that the underframe moulding has not been touched so the van now rides 0.5mm high, as Hornby's wheels are 12.5mm dia. against Lima's at 11.5mm (1 metre in H0 scale - they're fitted to all their continental stock) or have they fitted 14mm to lift it neare their own interpretation of buffer height?

Hornby do not use 14mm wheels in the re-issued ex-Lima CCTs, so you'll still need to adjust the height of the bearing for 14mm wheels and do a bit of a rebuilt job around the W irons, otherwise it will look wrong...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone built a masterclass models kit, it looks a fantastic kit but have never had the pleasure of building any of their kits so not sure how easy difficult they are to put together? I have built southern pride TPO's and Newton chambers car carriers so have some expereince but the MM CCT looks to be a bit more complex!

Has anyone built a masterclass models kit, it looks a fantastic kit but have never had the pleasure of building any of their kits so not sure how easy difficult they are to put together? I have built southern pride TPO's and Newton chambers car carriers so have some expereince but the MM CCT looks to be a bit more complex!

Its the only 4mm kit, Chris works in 2mm mostly.

It was covered in MRJ by Tim Shackleton and in Rail Express by the Mostyn team. Mine needs additional etching doing to finish off how I want it but its a detailed kit with parts that fit nicely.

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling the Chris (masterclass) would only do another batch of the CCT if there was enough interest. Having built several of his 2mm kits I can say that they are nicely designed and go together very well.

Thanks for the replies, I see he has them advertised on the website so am contemplating them, I dug out the relevant rail express earlier and think they will be within my capabilities. Will wait till the next pay cheque comes in then will order a couple.

Archived