Green 37's with ploughs

Giles

I've just bought an 0 gauge Class 37 (in Green with small yellow end panels) on the grounds that they're my favourite diesel, and they won't be available much longer!

I'd like to fit the ploughs, but so far I can't find a photo of one running in green with them - plenty in blue (and they seem to come and go through the loco's life) - can anyone tell me if any particular loco ran with ploughs whilst in its Green livery?

Thanks very much!

Giles

The only photos I've seen of original green 37's with ploughs are a few western region centre headcode locos, as per the attached picture. I have not seen a split box 37 (as per the Heljan model) fitted with them.

http://grahame910.fo.../p62337754.html

47107, Thanks very much for that.... at least it shows that SOME were carrying ploughs..... Lets hope something else turns up! But I greatly appreciate the effort (and the rest of those pics are very useful, and particularly the colour pics of the Green liveried locos for weathering purposes!)

Thanks again!

Giles

Hello Giles, I take it you have the lovely Heljan 37 then?

The only split box 37 to have plough brackets and buffer skirts was 37039 and 37040. I don't know when they had the brackets put on, whether it was in the green era or blue. I am sure I have seen a picture of one of them at Clayton West, near Huddersfield, in green with full yellow ends.

Hi Brian,

Yes, and It'll only ever get to drift on to a small layout and pose menacingly.......... (but I couldn't resist the thing! My wife was no help, she told me to go ahead and buy it....)

It's all grist to the mill!

I have found a photo of 37 017 running with what appears to be ONE plough (right hand side) in blue (one wonders what happened to the other one), and what is allegedly 37 026 in blue running with ploughs - both of which have the split boxes....

Still, something will come up if I keep trying - someone will of seen one!

All the best, and I can't wait to see one of yours in the flesh!

Giles

I have just been looking through my 37 pictures and found one of 37031 with plough brackets and buffer skirts! It must have been a Healey Mills thing as all 3 were allocated there. As you have said there were many split boxe 37's later converted with ploughs but they all had the bufferbeam skirts removed. You can just see the brackets either side of the coupling and the main res and control air pipes have been moved to accomodate the side plough fixing brackets under the buffers.

post-6766-0-41226200-1296920722_thumb.jpg

Hi

Several ER and NER type 3s had snowplough brackets fitted when GSYP and GFYP. I know both 6740 and 6741 had plough brackets fitted when based at Hull Dairycoates. I know another couple at Dairycoates also had them fitted as well, but I cannot remember which.

Here is a link to a photo on John Grey Turner's excellent Flickr site, http://www.flickr.com/photos/johngreyturner/4096032248/

I cannot make out the number on the loco, but is deffo a Dairycoates loco.

Al Taylor

I don't think 37041 had plough brackets and buffer skirts Al as the picture I have of it still shows the main res and control air pipes under the buffer in the way of where the side ploughs bracket would be. Shame we can't see either side of the coupling hook in my picture :(

Does anyone know the definitive list of split box 37's with plough brackets and buffer skirts? I am saying 031,039 and 040.

post-6766-0-45625500-1296923412_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-20813200-1296923691_thumb.jpg

Not quite what you asked for Giles but 6730 had ploughs in the early 70s, although it was blue rather than green. I'm not sure when it gained the brackets but I've got a feeling it's mentioned in a 1971 Railway Observer I think... I'll have to have a rummage!

Pix

Hi

All the ones mentioned so far 6730 6739 6740 were Dairycoates engines. Dairycoates had 4 sets of miniature snow ploughs. Photos of type 3s with plough will mostly be winter period shots, as it was ER and NER policy to remove them in the March/April period, they usually got refitted around October/November.

Al Taylor

Hi

Regarding your question how I know Dairycoates had 4 sets of miniature snowploughs, I used to work at Botanic Gardens and a lot of the staff were ex Dairycoates and you find things out from the more knowledgeable individuals. Also the sectional appendix carried details of which depots had items like this. Dairycoates allocation was mainly Type 3s and I can only remember seeing 3s (the local ones) fitted with ploughs. 6835 was also a Dairycoates engine that carried snowploughs but this was an ex WR loco.

Re the fitting of brackets to 55C engines the early 3s they had nearly all been transferred from Dairycoates around 69, most of 55Cs allocation of later 3s were ex WR and some of these had ploughs when they came from the WR.

Al Taylor

Regarding your question how I know Dairycoates had 4 sets of miniature snowploughs, I used to work at Botanic Gardens and a lot of the staff were ex Dairycoates and you find things out from the more knowledgeable individuals. Also the sectional appendix carried details of which depots had items like this. Dairycoates allocation was mainly Type 3s and I can only remember seeing 3s (the local ones) fitted with ploughs. 6835 was also a Dairycoates engine that carried snowploughs but this was an ex WR loco.

I thought you may have worked somewhere locally!

I have a huge interest in local railway history! I've always found railwaymen a huge source of information and stories - and it's even more interesting when they worked locally! I'm not in Hull anymore (spent two years working on the Docks branch) but now based at Welton.

I'm, incidentally, part a group who are building a model of Botanic station as it was in 1913.

Hello Giles, I take it you have the lovely Heljan 37 then?

The only split box 37 to have plough brackets and buffer skirts was 37039 and 37040. I don't know when they had the brackets put on, whether it was in the green era or blue. I am sure I have seen a picture of one of them at Clayton West, near Huddersfield, in green with full yellow ends.

Found a picture of 37039 (D6739) in the livery you want but I can't tell if it has the brackets Brian refers to at the time the photo was taken. http://www.15-37diesellocomotives.photos.gb.net/p62950755.html

The list of miniature snow ploughs and what depot's had what and how may was also listed in the sectional appendix .

6Y99 - Thank you for this, but I'm so sorry to be really thick - what 'sectional appendix' is this?

Al - thank you very much for all this - it's really good stuff! Were your recollections green or blue? :D Though that anonymous loco in the background of the photo you unearthed only need a number... :(

Pix, Thank you, and if you ARE able to find out if she ploughed in green......

Perhaps Brian can diagnose whether 6739 has got those brackets in 47107's rather fine photo....?

Meanwhilst, thanks to all, in what is proving to be a surprisingly interesting (for me, at any rate) subject!

Giles

Giles,

It's ok a Sectional Appendix is a publication for Railway staff it contains line speed's types of signalling in use route availability tables for locomotives and stock local operating instructions for locations that sort of thing.

The one I have north North Easter Region from 1972 compared to the one we have now is quite in depth and list's what depots had for winter clearance of the line procedures and such it really is an interesting read as there was still a lot of Steam age equipment that was still sort of in use at the times.

Hope this helps.

Pix, Thank you, and if you ARE able to find out if she ploughed in green......

No probs' Giles - I've got just short of 700 prints of pre-TOPs 37 which I'm slowly cataloging so hopefully something will turn up. There's a couple of other nice variations that'd be nice models if nothing turns up!

All the best,

Pix

That's a cracking picture of D6739 but it does not have plough brackets as the main res and control air pipes are still under the buffer where the side plough bracket would go. I have blown up into the picture of 37031 above to show the new position of the main res cock so they could weld a "pad" under the buffer for the bracket to go on. Just found a picture of 37227 which I have lightened and cropped into to show the "pad" that the side plough brackets bolt onto. These are in the same place as the main res pipe was so the pipe was moved "into" the bufferbeam rather than under it. Hope this is clear and you get where I am coming from on this :blink:

post-6766-0-88310800-1297004209_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-34162500-1297004218_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

There were seven sets of miniature ploughs in South Wales for use on Class 37 locos (and another 6 sets for diesel shunters) so there were probably no more than a dozen locos needing to be fitted with brackets - although many more could have been fitted of course. As already noted the usual procedure was to fit the ploughs for the 'winter period' but this was a source of some aggravation as going in between to couple a plough fitted loco was quite a hazardous operations - so Shunters hated them. But on the other side of the equation the ploughs were allegedly not easy to fit or remove so Fitters did their level best to avoid doing so and often only the centre section would be removed until someone was hurt or shouted loudly enough to force some action.

Just to add to this debate, and I'm sorry if I am diversifying slightly, I am involved in a 12â€to the foot project. I have established that some of the Landor central Wales class 37 ran with ploughs, in the green era, D6884 being one of them, but what colour where the ploughs, can't tell if there black or yellow.

http://www.thebattens.me.uk/d6884%20(2)%20-%20llanelly%20-%20aug%201967.jpg

having a debate here, they could be black and coloured by rusty brake dust

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Just to add to this debate, and I'm sorry if I am diversifying slightly, I am involved in a 12â€to the foot project. I have established that some of the Landor central Wales class 37 ran with ploughs, in the green era, D6884 being one of them, but what colour where the ploughs, can't tell if there black or yellow.

http://www.thebattens.me.uk/d6884%20(2)%20-%20llanelly%20-%20aug%201967.jpg

having a debate here, they could be black and coloured by rusty brake dust

Gary

I can only ever remember miniature ploughs on the WR being painted yellow (presumably to let Shunters see what they had just bashed their legs on) but they soon got dirty on locos in traffic. I think they were supposed to be cleaned on Exams (probably B or upwards) but sometimes I got the impression that certain depots found it easier to slosh another coat of yellow paint on them every now and then.

Archived