Spilled fuel on fuel tanks

Hi Michael,

Not sure if you're referring to diesel loco tanks or fuel carrying wagons, but the same should apply, roughly.

On my I have used washes of satin and gloss varnishes, thinned black and brown paint (satin and gloss) and Johnson's Klear with black Mig Powder added. The key thing seems to be building it up in layers to develop the shine, a shiny splodge of "straight out of the tin" black just doesn't look right to me. The layers also tint the underlying colour, be it brown dirt or paint colour on a tank wagon

Here's a couple of shots highlighting the variation in shine and colour with each layer that I was saying about

post-6899-0-67215600-1297027414_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-52833400-1297027595_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps a bit!

jo

Hi

I for oil spill I have used MET Cote paint from HUMBRUL, You just paint it on and leave it to dry and then use a cotton bud and it buff up the metal colour in the paint

The best on is metal colour called steel?

All the best

Darren

post-6929-0-64409600-1297257894_thumb.jpg

The best on is metal colour called steel?

You want Metalcote Gunmetal - I mix it with Satin Black for freshly spilt fuel and I use it with a lighter grey (such as no. 64) for older spills which have collected dust and other things which have been thrown up.

Texturing as Jo says could give some nice effects too :)

Archived