Railway Modeller - March 2011

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

Oldshaw - Andrew Bartlett - 4mm scale - EM gauge - Devon and Cornwall in the 1980s - layout will be at Nottingham in March

Colinton - Alistair Dickson - 4mm scale - P4 gauge - Caledonian Balerno Branch in the 1950s-1960s - with prototype plans, photos and history - layout will be at Glasgow later this month and York at Easter

Building EM1 in 7mm scale - Graham Clark - part 4 of a series

Lynth-Haven - Darren Bilcock - 4mm scale - OO gauge - LMS terminus

Kirktown - Reg Skelhorn - N gauge - Scotland in 1980s

Modelling the Colonel - Andrew Ullyott - history of Colonel Holman Fred Stephens - prototype plans and photos

Cressington Light Railway - Peter Leadley - 4mm scale - 9mm gauge (009) - modern preserved narrow gauge - layout will be at Preston in March

Axe Edge and Thatch Marsh Colliery - Dan Wright - 4mm scale - EM gauge - Derbyshire coal mine in the 1960s

Great Western Slip Coaches - Brian Gillespie and Brian Kingett - drawing of Collett Dia F23 and working model in 4mm scale by radio control!

Lineside Allotments - Charles Wheatley - very detailed description of the many vegetables found in lineside allotment modelled in 7mm

Exmouth St John's - Ron Neal - 4mm scale - OO gauge - Southern in 1950s

N Stock on a Budget - David Malton - building Peco wagon kits

Weighting Tankers - David Harrison - filling tankers to add weight

Dinghy Modelling - plastic kit in 1:72

Headline Review is the Bachmann Class 70

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for taking the time to itemise this.

As I live in Spain, I only get to buy it when I feel there is something of interest...and for me, for Oldshaw alone this month will be worth the purchase :)

Thanks, Pete

Oldshaw is well worth the cover price alone!! Its one of those layouts that although set in an imaginary location doesn't look like it if you know what I mean - it really captures the atmosphere well. Right up my street (even if the rails are twice as far apart as I would like!). Kirktown is also very good for me - BR Blue and N gauge. Lots of nice wagon kits for inspiration for me. It shows well how N gauge can work well in a reasonable space, it is a decent sized terminus without looking too cramped or crowded.

I have to say that one thing I really like about buying the RM is the variety of topics it covers, so buying the magazine sort of makes you read thigns you perhaps wouldn't otherwise look at. I don't model Scotland or P4 but Colinton was superb and a fascinating layout/article. Same goes for Axe Edge and Thatch Marsh Colliery. On a website like this I probably wouldn't click on these articles - but browsing through a magazine I'm glad I did.

BTW Pete is it easy to get RM is Barcelona? I imagine an English language publication about British model railways is a bit of a niche market!

• RMweb Gold

Rich - Yes, I had seen them. But thanks to highlight them...always happy to see Coombe photos. Andrew bartlett is a member of this forum too - I never tire of seeing Oldshaw...would love to see it for real one day.

Tom - Never seen RM in Barcelona...and probably never will. They have about 3 Railway Mags here in Barcelona, but at an average price of €7 for each, I haven't bothered to buy one yet. I normally tend to buy RM, BRM, Hornby, Model Rail etc when I fly back to the UK or buy as a back issue when I like something. When I was looking for the County 1474 tractor at Moorswater, I didn't even bother trying to find Tractor magazine in the shops here :lol:

Apologies to the OP if this has gone slightly off topic - hijack thwarted :D

A good issue this month

Yep, a good bounce back issue for me following last months now temporary glitch IMO.

I particularly liked Oldshaw and that there's some N gauge coverage in this issue, and the way the news 'blue pages' section has nicely developed and extended under the new editor.

G.

The cover image of the Large Logo of the Class 50 sold the issue to me when I spotted it on the shelves at the supermarket and I look forward to seeing Oldshaw at Nottingham. Also impressive are the photographs of Colinton, especially the Class 08 pictured amidst some realistic trackside scenery. Generally this issue is a real winner as far as I'm concerned.

I don't often buy the RM any more these days after losing interest in what was getting featured around 2002. However I had a flick through in the WH Smiths' reading room and liked the selection of layouts and articles, so bought a copy. I particularly liked the article on allotment vegetable making. All in all a good cross section of some excellent layouts.

The best issue for me for a long time.

Good to see Colinton in a more developed state than when I last saw it at Scaleforum. I would have thought it would be more at home in MRJ than in RM. Never seen a 'facing both ways overlapping turnout' in model form on any other layout. Try that in any thing other than P4. :D

Bernard

Archived