Land Rover transport by rail

Hi all

I have recently bought the Oxford diecast Military Land Rover Defender is this a suitable model to be transported by rail

I suspect that the aerials would put it out of loading gauge are the folded down for transport and can they be removed on the model?

Here is the link with a pic http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/76/Land%20Rover%20Defender.htm

Can anybody post a pic of real land rovers in transit on an MOD train i know sometimes they used OCA wagons which is what i plan to use.

many thanks

Dave

Guest stuartp

The Series II was certainly transportable by train on Lowfits, so no need for a well wagon. Aerials either removed or tied down depending on type. The current military Landrover is the Wolf or xD, and is a bit taller than the old Series II. By how much I'm not sure - my Series II is about 6'7" overall (it doesn't quite fit under the flourescent tubes in a 6'6" headroom multi-storey car park near where I used to live :unsure: ) , you'd have to Google the manufacturer's spec for the xD to see how high it is now. The xD is a shade wider but only a few inches, nowhere near out of gauge width wise.

I'm pretty sure Brian Daniels posted some pics of Landies on their way too or from the Gulf, if not on here then on RMweb2.

There was a pick in Model Rail some years ago of an earlier series 3 on a conflat, but I don't recall seeing defenders transported by rail. As you often see convoys of them on the Motorways I would suggest they don't often get railed but that maybe down more to cost as opposed to gauge requirements.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

I have recently bought the Oxford diecast Military Land Rover Defender is this a suitable model to be transported by rail

I suspect that the aerials would put it out of loading gauge are the folded down for transport and can they be removed on the model?

Here is the link with a pic http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/76/Land%20Rover%20Defender.htm

Can anybody post a pic of real land rovers in transit on an MOD train i know sometimes they used OCA wagons which is what i plan to use.

many thanks

Dave

Dave,

As an ex military signaller and having served at the Vehicle Depot at Ashchurch back in the 90s, I can probably answer both questions.

a. Any FFR (Fitted For Radio) vehicle only has the aerial bases and the respective racking and wiring looms fitted to the vehicle when issued from stock. All the other bits, such as the whip antenna, radio, headsets etc are all held separately by the QM or Tech QM and are fitted to the vehicle when it arrives at the unit. The antenna plug into the bases and are secured with a clamp and wing nut. When the radios are not in use the antenna are removed....otherwise they'd get 'liberated'. I don't know what the current state of the military landrover fleet is, but if it is anything like it was in the 70/80/90s then the vast majority of the fleet was not FFR.

b. When we were loading trains we were usually putting the outgoing stock on standard BR carflats. These were generally destined for overseas locations, rather than within the UK. Armour which went from the sub depot at Ludgershall, would be loaded onto the appropriate wagon to keep it within gauge.

c. Can't supply you with pictures of the depot workings as they were banned on the grounds of potential security breaches. (Not the vehicles on the train, but the makeup of the internal layout of the depot.

Regards

Richard

Hi all

Thanks to all who replied for the interesting details provided and the pics do indeed help an article in Rail Express modeller says that Land Rovers were loaded onto OCA wagonsbecause they have the dropside the Land Rovers could just be driven on but I have never seen pictures of this only of Land Rovers on the warflat type

that Glorious NSE has posted.

Iam modelling 90's and 2000's i know that OCA wagons are regular in MOD trains but not if they were ever used for Land Rovers

many thanks

Dave

Archived