Caboose Hobbies

Willy

Has anyone here used Caboose Hobbies – link below – and had items sent to the UK/Europe?

If so, have you any comments as regards their service as I am interested in ordering a couple of items but I don't want to part with my hard-earned until I know what they are like?

http://www.cabooseho...index_brief.php

Cheers

Willy

Hi Willy

I have used them numerous times over many years, & they have always provided a proficient service. Just be prepared to pay the VAT & other import costs as the delivery firm, normally DHL always collect the extra funds on behalf of our governmentsad.gif

HTH

Tim

Thank you Pete, it is always good to get first hand experience.

Hi Willy

I have used them numerous times over many years, & they have always provided a proficient service. Just be prepared to pay the VAT & other import costs as the delivery firm, normally DHL always collect the extra funds on behalf of our governmentsad.gif

HTH

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you, that is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to know. There was a time when you could take a chance with the VAT but I expect that they have to collect as much as they can now.

Cheers

Willy

I've only ordered from them once but my experience was the same as Tim's.

Ref the VAT - couriers like DHL and UPS are much less likely to miss out on collecting VAT/Charges than the post office or parcelforce unfortunately - worth keeping in mind.

Echo Tim and Martyn's comments

Excellent selection and have never mucked up any of my ordered but they refuse to use USPS shipping for international shipping (despite showing the option on the website last time I ordered!). The flip side is that although DHL ain't cheap it will arrive in 4-5 days (my experience at least) rather than sit with Royal Mail for a couple of weeks while they process it

Can't remember is you said what you wanted but if it's detailing bits Highball Graphics have a good selection, are v friendly and ship USPS Airmail

Dan Spalding

Yep, +1 on the positives above.

I've ordered consignment brass items from them through their website and requested express air/insured shipping. they've always confirmed the price fo the shipping before processign the payment/order and the items have been well packed.

I have had the odd problem once the items have reached the UK, but that's another story... :blink:

Steph

I have ordered stuff from Caboose both when I lived in the states and now I am back in the UK too and they are superb.

VAT & stuff is one of those things you learn to live with if you want shiny American stuff & DHL are VERy hot on collecting it too.

• RMweb Gold

What fee does DHL charge for collecting the VAT & Duty?

Royal Mail charge a flat fee of £8 whatever the amount - a nice little earner for them. It's my experience that fewer packages now are getting through without charges being applied.

Mark.

Willy - it is possible that French Customs may not charge you

It is possible Jack, but I seem to remember that the last time I received something from across the pond, which was a couple of years ago frm Toy Train Heaven, I paid both VAT & a sizable "handling charge"!

However, that is not the be all and end all because if the only way to get a desired item is to import, then thanks to all the replies here I now have confidence in Caboose Hobbies.

Willy

• 4 weeks later...

I placed an order with Caboose Hobbies on Thursday last and it arrived here just about an hour ago with a handling charge of 16€ but no customs charge. That is not bad seeing as according to the tracking record, it didn't move yesterday!:D

So, another satisfied customer here and thank you to all those who recommended them.

Willy

I have used them on many occasions and I would echo all the comments re VAT etc. However, I have found that they are a bit sneaky on a couple of occasions when they charged mycard with the amounts for the goods and possibly an estimate for shipping and then another amount later for the complete shipping amount, so you think you've paid and then there's a sting in the tail!

But an excellent organisation to deal with. They organised some spare parts from Athearn for a loco that was damaged when it arrived here.

I had the good fortune to visit when I was in Denver some years ago. The saying about kids in a sweetshop came to mind! Their claim to be the biggest model railroad shop in the world is probably true.

Archived