Heljan Class 27 Window Conversion

LJC

Has anyone converted the Heljan Class 27 drivers side window from the 'drop light' type to the 'sliding' version.

Once the correct sliding window is obtained it looks like cutting part of the window frame then some minor filing work.

Looks straight forward or am I missing something.

Would be good to know before I get in about it.

Cheers

LJC

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about doing the same thing, I see no one has replied to say whether or not it can be done.

Have you tried it yet and did it work?

When i first thought about it i looked at my Heljan 26015 (sliding type ) to see if it looked like it would work, may have been my imagination but the side window in the 26 appeared to be bigger than the drop light window in my Heljan 27?? I will need to relook at this. I had assumed both loco classes had the same sized windows.

I did speak to the Heljan and Howes of Oxford guys at Glasgow MRX and by email to encourage them to do TOPS 27s with sliding side windows and with the beading which does not go all the way across the middle door. Looking at the photos on the web and in my books, the most common versions in the mid 80s had the beading across the middle door removed and had slide side windows.

Waverley47708

Has anyone converted the Heljan Class 27 drivers side window from the 'drop light' type to the 'sliding' version.

Once the correct sliding window is obtained it looks like cutting part of the window frame then some minor filing work.

Looks straight forward or am I missing something.

Would be good to know before I get in about it.

Cheers

LJC

Hi

I looked at this idea some time back. I had planned to use HJ 26 sliding cab side windows to convert a 27 from drop lights. Had a job sourcing spare 26 glazing, and when I eventually got some, I found the 26 sliding windows not really suitable, being slightly smaller the the 27 window openings - (abeit with the dividing bar removed). Being unable to obtain spare 27 sliding glass windows, best option would be starting with a sliding glass/tablet recess loco and modifying to suit. Hopefully Shawplan will add 26/27 laser cut glazing to the range at some point ?

HTH

tractor_37260

I was thinking about doing the same thing, I see no one has replied to say whether or not it can be done.

Have you tried it yet and did it work?

When i first thought about it i looked at my Heljan 26015 (sliding type ) to see if it looked like it would work, may have been my imagination but the side window in the 26 appeared to be bigger than the drop light window in my Heljan 27?? I will need to relook at this. I had assumed both loco classes had the same sized windows.

I did speak to the Heljan and Howes of Oxford guys at Glasgow MRX and by email to encourage them to do TOPS 27s with sliding side windows and with the beading which does not go all the way across the middle door. Looking at the photos on the web and in my books, the most common versions in the mid 80s had the beading across the middle door removed and had slide side windows.

Waverley47708

Did not attempt in case it went pear shaped (high risk for me).

Will make do with what I've got and renumber accordingly, will also watch for any conversion kits etc.

Cheers

LJC

• 2 weeks later...

The 26/7/33's are all being looked at for inclusion in the range, details will be posted here, http://shawplan.wordpress.com/ in due course and in 'small suppliers' as usual.

I am a big fan of the extreme etchings from Shawplan, they have transformed my rakes if Lima ScotRail Express Mk3 3s.

For those of us who model the 80s, it seems from the books I have the most common variation of 27 had the sliding windows and only had beading under the bigger front windows with it removed form the sealed up front connection door. Will try to encourage Heljan to do Blue 27s with sliding windows without beading all the way across the front of them. even better if they did the unbranded version as they do with some 47s.

Anyway back to Shawplan, would be delighted if they were to do a kit for Heljan 27s to allow us to remove the drop style windows and replace them with sliding ones.

• 3 months later...

Archived