1/76 Truck wheels and tires

jhock

Can any one please tell me where I can get 1/76th truck wheels and tries? I want to build a Knightwing Volvo F12 tractor kit, it is not a bad kit but the wheels are awful, I could just nick them from a Corgi or Oxford Diecast Model but that is a very expensive way of doing it makes the model some redundant. I am guessing that bus wheels and tires would also do the job.

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

Try canabalising base toys models (cheaper than cast wheels)

Also for buses, Pirate models and Paragon Models

Cheers

Jim

The RTI range has a wheel auitable for their F88 which would be the same as the F10/ 12 but I used BW Models wheels intended for their Scammell Crusader kit. These have a good representation of the nut ring and seem to have more "bulk" than the RTI one.

The RTI range has a wheel auitable for their F88 which would be the same as the F10/ 12 but I used BW Models wheels intended for their Scammell Crusader kit. These have a good representation of the nut ring and seem to have more "bulk" than the RTI one.

The wheels used on the F88 were very different to that mostly seen on an F10/12, the shape and number of the holes in the wheel being the most obvious, utilising the wheels from the crusader as you have done would give a more accurate result! Alternatively the wheels Langley supply in their Seddon Atkinson 401 kit would also be a very good match.

The wheels used on the F88 were very different to that mostly seen on an F10/12, the shape and number of the holes in the wheel being the most obvious, utilising the wheels from the crusader as you have done would give a more accurate result! Alternatively the wheels Langley supply in their Seddon Atkinson 401 kit would also be a very good match.

The F88 wheels that RTI do are a bit of generic heavy type, more suited to the later F88s which as far as I can recall had a wheel size and profile very similar to the F10, deeper dished and by the look of it, a wider stud spacing. I'm guessing these were the 290 variants which shared the mechanics of the original F10 and possibly had bigger brake drums, the bigger and greater number of holes in the wheel improving brake ventilation.

That was the case when the B58 coach was replaced with the B10M, although the power output of the engines were initially the same, the brake drums were bigger and so the wheel changed from the flatter B58 to the more dished profile of the B10 with venting holes all round to assist cooling. 'Never really worked, B10Ms without retarders could be a real barrel of laughs on lengthy alpine descents!

Just a thought - Tesco are now selling their branded artics - petrol wagons etc - for £1.20 each. The models are somewhere in the OO/HO area (sod's law says 1:80!), and for silly money you get 8 or 10 (possibly more, can't recall the exact number) pretty decent HGV wheels.

Archived