Rivets

• RMweb Premium

The reason I asked is there are a few things I want for myself and I think the only way I will get them is to etch them. The problem is, I don't get on with other peoples kits. The chances are if I had spent the last making up kits rather than designing them I probably would.

Whenever I designed an etched kit I insisted on using etched on, but Matthew has been working on some etched narrow-gauge and his have looked rather nice. He presses them out with my GW rivet press. I imagine that a bit of experimentation would show the ratio between dimple size and the resulting pimple.

The question that goes along with it is solder on beading or etched in place? Both seem to have their own advantages.

Roger

Push through or etched on? Which do you prefer.

Roger

Etched on rivets every time, Roger! No contest. Thickish brass/NS please, so the half etched parts are not too flimsy though. Definitely no overlays!! Some loco's (the finest!) started out

flush riveted though so all etchings should be reversible.

(The loco I've just finished was meant to have square head rivets which you were supposedly expected to somehow press out from behind!:lol: )

The reverse for beading: I prefer to add it rather than have it pre etched,

Am looking forward to the production of a superb Comet Lord Nelson 4mm kit in brass and NS with a one piece white metal boiler and lovely turned and lost wax fittings!!!:D :D Ah!! Just the very thought of it makes me drool!

To generalise - Push through rivets and etched beading. I often find the quality of etched on rivets very poor. I think this is because the control of the half-etching process is quite variable and the rivets seem to come out flat and poorly shaped. I dislike solder on beading, it often seems to be short, easily deformed and always results in lengthy clean up. Some of the worst culprits are those supplied with multiple tags to the fret - often placed along the edge - I'd rather use flattened wire.

But how would I do the rivet detail on, say, a riveted Fowler tender with rivets at two levels?

Roger

Overlays on two different thicknesses one full thickness and the other on half etched recess.

or push through on the full thickness and a half etched recess with an overlay having etched rivets?

or even push through on both full thickness with one of them acting as an overlay in a half-etched recess.

or simply multiple overlays - the last one having etched rivets.

depends how different the levels are.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for your replies. I am sad that most uk modellers never saw what I regard as my best ever loco kits because they were made for the Australian Market but they were never particularly rivity beasts. I have been watching with a degree of jelious admiration as my friend Arthur has been been doing what I would like to do producing his own favourite locos. I am luckier in that to portray trains round here I can buy a lot ready to run, but despite the astonishing diversity of what is being produced these days, there are a few that I don't think will ever be done.

I said somewhere that I don't get on very well with other peoples kits so I would prefer to make my own even if they are scratch builders aids. Problem is these days I look at things through a plastic die cutter, I find the restrictions of 2 or 4 layers incredibly frustrating.

I spent some time talking to Arthur and have come to the conclusion I will have to send a sheet with all my ideas to the etchers and see which one works.

Roger

Archived