Platform thickness

Ian_T

Wondering if anyone could give me some guidance please?

I ammakingmy own stations out of fomaex-the question i need answering is, how thick would a platform be for N gauge? I think 5mm is probably too thick so should i opt for 3mm thickness?

Wondering if anyone could give me some guidance please?

I ammakingmy own stations out of fomaex-the question i need answering is, how thick would a platform be for N gauge? I think 5mm is probably too thick so should i opt for 3mm thickness?

If you mean the coping stones at the platform edge, on the real thing there about 3" so in 2mm about 0.5mm.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

I'm assuming you are referring to how high the platform needs to be above rail level? Wikipedia states that the standard dimension is 915mm +/- 25mm, so that puts a modern platform at about 3 feet which is 6mm in N gauge.

Older platforms were much lower. I seem to recall the Scarborough platforms at York were considerably (about 9"?)lower than the others.

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

In 4mm scale the peco platforms are 19mm tall so about 9mm would be OK for N (that includes the thickness of the track. The 3ft Phil mentions it the height above the rail.

Cheers

Jim

If you mean the coping stones at the platform edge, on the real thing there about 3" so in 2mm about 0.5mm.

OzzyO.

yes- thanks for that. i should be able to get away with 1mm fomaex then.

Archived