Hornby A4 sound - is it any good

black and decker boy

Guest Redskalie

Hi

Yes I have one, it sounds fine to me but then I am not old enough to have heard the real thing. I have 4 Hornby sound and 2 Bachmann and think they are all great. Personally I stick with what it comes with, if I want a different sound, I would convert a non sound one.

Nothing to stop you blowing it if you want, don't think you can really tell unless you listen to two of them next to each other and even then it's what sounds ok to you.

Guest Belgian

Hi

Yes I have one, it sounds fine to me but then I am not old enough to have heard the real thing. I have 4 Hornby sound and 2 Bachmann and think they are all great. Personally I stick with what it comes with, if I want a different sound, I would convert a non sound one.

Nothing to stop you blowing it if you want, don't think you can really tell unless you listen to two of them next to each other and even then it's what sounds ok to you.

There are three of the real things working still, at least one will likely be in action once or twice a month if you want to hear them in action - it's certainly worth hearing one for real - that chime whistle is sooooooooo haunting . . . .

Sadly, 60019 "Bittern's" run today was cancelled, but she often works on the Mid-Hants and she's out on the main line together with 60007 on 16th April if you want to see two in a day.

JE

Hi Belgian,

I am leaving Australia on the 17th April, do you have any info where I could see/hear an A4 during the following 24 days? I will be at the NYMR gala weekend on the saturday in May, which may have one running. Or do you know where I could find out what is running? Websites, etc

regards

Mark in OZ

I am leaving Australia on the 17th April, do you have any info where I could see/hear an A4 during the following 24 days? I will be at the NYMR gala weekend on the saturday in May, which may have one running. Or do you know where I could find out what is running? Websites, etc

There is 2A4's running at present 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley and 60019 Bittern, both can go on the mainline - Gresley will also be at the NYMR gala you are attending. Details of all main line trips can be found here http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs11.htm the timesfor any train will be put up a few days before so if you have internet access while you are here this site is worth checking.

Does anyone have the Hornby A4 with sound? Is it any good or would it need re-blowing and if so with what?

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham,

I have around six A4's with sound on my exhibition layout one is fitted with the eight pin Loksound decoder with Olivias Trains sound, this is very good & bonus is the speaker fits directly under the chimney so great output of sound. Others are made up from Hornby Herring Gull decoders which are fitted in tender all of these have been reblown with Olivias sounds. I think they do around four different versions & whilst good the one with speaker under chimney in my view is the best sound. Give Neil At Olivias a call he's very helpful & will give you good advice tell him Ian from Scarborough told you to call. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ian (Hayarket Cross)

• RMweb Gold
60019 "Bittern's" run today was cancelled, but she often works on the Mid-Hants

No more unfortunately, the railway decided not to renew the agreement to host the thing - it's now based at Southall.

As for how the model sounds compared to the real thing, I've not actually heard how the model sounds, but over the years I have driven (and fired way back when) 3 different A4s on the Mid Hants. The characteristic which struck me the most was how noisy they are at the front end with even just the small ejector running, it's a very distinctive sound. Another thing I've noticed is that the Kylchap exhaust arrangement gives an almost indistinct exhaust note compared to a normal arrangement - it's not a sharp beat at all.

These things are difficult to describe, if you heard one you would know exactly what I mean.

Thanks ed-farms for the info about A4's, but I did hi-jack this thread. I should have said that I am looking into getting an A4 with sound at some stage, and will investigate this will I am in UK. I have heard the Hornby A4 at slow speeds only, and have hears and read the pro's and cons for this model. Plus it was suggested getting ESU loksound unit which is by far the better option. I have some research ahead of me in UK soon.

Thanks for the info to.

Mark in OZ

Archived