power to your lights?

• RMweb Gold

This depends on what voltage your lights run on. Are they filament lamps, leds? What make are they? I use this sort of thing. They are available from other places, and I have fitted a socket to the baseboard, the 12V dc power supply plugs into it, and wires distribute the power to the lights.

Provided the yard lamps are 12v DC then you have the option of either utilising a 16v AC/12vDC converter module from the likes of AllComponents powered from your controller accessory output

http://www.allcomponents.co.uk/ (electronic boards - CONV)

or you could pick up a cheap mains adaptor giving a 12v output from the likes of Maplin, etc. and running the lights as a separate entity

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-fixed-voltage-switched-mode-power-supplies-48484

What do i plug the transformer into?

Thanks

The mains.

I would go for one of the adaptors from Maplin's or the like. If you are using 12v filament bulbs, in my opinion it would be better using a 9v adaptor to increase bulb life and to avoid the bulb melting anything around it. If your lighting is LED, check the rating in the instuctions that should have come with the lights. Many LEDs that are used for lighting are around 3v and will come with a resistor so you can use them on a 12v circuit. I have made my own lighting with LEDs rated at 3.2v and 2.8v and use a 3v adaptor. But remember, 3v will operate a 3.2v LED, but it will burn out a 2.8v one. So if you are unsure, use resistors on all.

I would agree about under running filament bulbs. I've got some Chinese ones (excellent value from eBay) but they need a low voltage or the bulbs melt the plastic. I would suggest a variable voltage power supply - a redundant/spare train controller would do or one of the wall-wart type - under run this too and don't put much faith in the marked voltage.

LEDs are much better, but tend to have a bluish light .

I would not recommend the AC output from the train supply. The voltage and hence lamp intensity will vary with the current drawn by the trains.

For the "plugging into" query you can simply pick up a tag strip (see all components site again for this one) and cut off whatever plug is on the end of the adaptor, bare the wires and solder one to each side of the tag strip. You can then solder your lighting wires to the appropriate positive and negative rail as required.

Archived