Track plan taking shape

Mark 37

• RMweb Premium

If you place the branch point to the bay platform to the right of the crossover just below it, instead of to the left of it, trains would be able to run into the bay platform and then out again crossing over the main line to run right line. Otherwise, trains leaving the bay platform will be forced to run wrong line.

One simple way round this is to make the bay face in the other direction:

post-6813-0-72675800-1301341752_thumb.gif

One simple way round this is to make the bay face in the other direction:

post-6813-0-72675800-1301341752_thumb.gif

The track geomatry does not alow the right and left hand points to connect as you have drawn it in the black line (just before the point for bay platform). If it did and I were to do the bay as you suggest. Would the DMU not be running to the bay on the wrong line? If it had to run the other way and back up into the bay, the front of the DMU would be just inside the tunnel before backing up. Or am I grabbing the wrong end of the stick here?

Best regards and thank you for your input.

Mark

Picking up on another couple of suggestions about the point work at each end of the station. I have now changed it to a "W" formation. for the moment the bay has gone, but may return (if I can figure it out).

I kind of like the more simplistic look of the depot in this, but I'm not sure if my earlier fears of the board being dicected in two are coming to the fore front. Maaybe some scenery will sort that out. I did have a headshunt in, but also felt the track was really begining to take over the board. More planning needed, but here's the basics now.

LayoutforgoinginBraedensroomwithWponitworkatstation.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The track geomatry does not alow the right and left hand points to connect as you have drawn it in the black line (just before the point for bay platform).

Blimey, you're right: it doesn't. Boo and sucks to Setrack geometry then!

Edit: according XTrkCad it can be coerced with snippets of straight track if you're so minded :lol:

post-6813-0-39880600-1301349061_thumb.gif

If it did and I were to do the bay as you suggest. Would the DMU not be running to the bay on the wrong line? If it had to run the other way and back up into the bay, the front of the DMU would be just inside the tunnel before backing up.

I know of stations where terminating trains arrived on a through platform and shunted to a bay to await departure. It's less slick than running straight into the bay, but it does mean the main line is blocked only while the train is unloading.

Lincoln Central, before its recent resignalling, was arranged like that. Although it had two bays (originally four), arriving trains could not run directly into them. Terminating trains had to arrive on one of the through platforms on the other side of the station, then shunt across to a bay platform before departure.

Yet another day playing around. I've expanded the depot a little. Can I have your opinions on it as well as the rest of the layout, please? I have tried 5 track manufacturers to add the bay in with no luck. The bay platform on this configuration is gone for good.

LayoutforgoinginBraedensroomLargerdepotWpointsatstationcopy.jpg

Best regards,

Mark

Well I’ve been moving things around again, mostly to get a DMU platform on the inner loop (not a bay but a platform none the less). With doing that I’ve moved the depot around also. I think the track work in this is a bit more realistic from the photos I’ve been looking over online. I would still however like any feedback that you can give. Model rail is very new to me and I would rather try and get it right first time. With the new addition on their way I’m planning on getting the track down on wood before they arrive (getting all the noisy work out the way). Scenery will be done as and when. I don’t want to be months down the line (sorry no pun intended) and end up ripping it all up.

I know most on here are way beyond beginner’s stage, but your thoughts and help will be gratefully received. As you can see with the plan development your ideas have been taken on board. The only thing that I think will have to stay the same is the three line track at the front of the board. (1) Too keep small hands away from locos. (2) This is the only way I have found of getting platforms long enough for 1+3.

Plan below……..

LayoutforgoinginBraedensroom31stMarch2011Latestcopy.jpg

Best regards,

Mark

• 1 month later...

In addition to the layout posted already (see below) I have added two other track plans. They drop the iner most station platform and increase the depot.

Above plan

LayoutforgoinginBraedensroom31stMarch2011Latestcopy.jpg

plan1

LayoutforgoinginBraedensroomIsthispracticlepart2.jpg

plan 2

LayoutforgoinginBraedensroomcompactdepot.jpg

I would really like your comments and constructive criticisims, if you could take the time to look them over and suggest which would be the best to move forward with.

See what happens when you don't have track down, you just keep changing things.:yes:

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Plan 1 looks best to me. The others appear to busy and in the case of plan 2 the bridge / viaduct is unlikely given that there is a building very close to it and there would be no room for a valley to justify the bridge / viaduct.

Kris,

Yeah, I know what you mean about plan two. If I left the shed where it is, It would be more of an embakment running behind with a burn or something along those lines. Plan three, I think the depot is a bit over scale here. I would also have a wall on the rear of station with trees around the inside of the curves on the right hand side in an atempt to break up the track view. Do you have any suggestions to possibly move the track around a little?

Mark

• RMweb Premium

If I was going with plan 3 I would look a loosing a couple of the RH sidings to give more of a feeling of space. I would also look at either moving the fuelling point (it's a pain to get to from the shed) or swapping the shed over with the maintenance shed.

Thanks for that Kris, all the buildings are subjest to move. I just wanted to incorperate what I would like in the layout. When track hit's wood and buildings are positioned I will undoubtedly shuffle things around.

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Would the geometry allow you to move one of the platforms between two of the running lines? This would mean that the central reversible line would gain a platform face, which might compensate for the lack of a bay. New Cross station includes this arrangement.

Dave

Kris,

I know what you mean. I think less is generaly more on a layout, but I'm trying to achieve a large busy depot in a small space. I may still change it a little.

Would the geometry allow you to move one of the platforms between two of the running lines? This would mean that the central reversible line would gain a platform face, which might compensate for the lack of a bay. New Cross station includes this arrangement.

Dave

The geometry does allow a platform with a couple of small straights inserted. See below.

LayoutforgoinginBraedensroomVERSION12Photoshopedcopy.jpg

Regards,

Mark

Moving the platform makes quite a bit of difference to the apparent space.

It does (thanks Dave), I think it will add a lot more operational potential to the layout but still keeping a descent sized depot for shunting diesels about for different maintanence requirements. I'm still not sure how to gain road access into it. Moving the platform has certainly allowed me to add the road in there, may be coming from the bottom right corner of board. Just having a road/dirt track there will hopefully keep that big open space feel that most depot's I've looked at have. On the other hand the bridge that I wanted to add to the front left, could still be done using this as an access road.

Lot's still to think about (feel free to chip in anyone!).

Best regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

At present the depot is reached through a facing point. If it's changed to a trailing connection (effectively flip the whole plan!), it would be quite an easy operation to change locos on either of the two inner platform lines. Even changing a loco on the outer track would take fewer reversals.

hth

Dave

Well after planning for 5 months, cutting wood to size the plans have changed again. I have been concerned about how big a footprint the layout has in my sons room. I have now talked it over with the wife and I now plan a "U" shaped layout. It will be an end to end with fiddle yards at each end, but here's the kicker. I will be building it as a modular form and I have gained approval from SWMBO to add adjoining boards that can be stored, connecting the two fiddle yards.:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

The basic idea will be a 11.5'x 20" with the fiddle yard boards being 5'x18" roughly. I wont know for sure as the wee yin is in bed sleeping. I will be taking measurments tomorrow. By the time we add connecting curves to the fiddle yards, I think we will be about 7' in width. The connecting boards will probably not exceed 18", possibly only 12-14" in width. So a long term project ahead, but really looking forward to doing it with my son.:yes:

This way my son and I can get the best of all worlds, a bigger layout, gradual expenditure, less cost on scenery items (planned to scratch build most anyway) and we can possibly look at something a little more prototypical (scotish, of coarse).

Thanks to all who have taken the time and effort to help so far. I will still probably be asking for your help again, if that's OK.

Best regards,

Mark

PS if you have any good layout suggestions from Dumbarton Central westward, please feel free to post them as I'm not hugely familiar with the line although I've dropped a few hint's at how reasonable I think the railtour tickets are.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have another plan for you to look over. It's very basic.

On the right side/board I want to put the bridge/viaduct that my son wants. On the left board there will be 4 platforms possibly with a street scene above (letting me use longer trains hidden by it). Bottom boards will just be scenic (cut in embankment with a couple of road bridges crossing the track).

The other things I wanted to incorperate were a small depot and fiddle yard, but I can't seem to fit them without making the boards look cluttered. I could possibly put the depot on the top board.

Does anyone have some ideas that could help??? Or even have ideas for better use of the space available??? I'm not very keen on the track following the shape of the board, but you can't rotate the track in SCARM, unless you do it at the start of plotting.

BraedensNewlayoutLOWLEVEL2ndJune2011layout2.jpg

Thanks for any ideas you can pitch in with.

Mark :D

• 1 month later...

At last I have started constructing baseboards which I hope to have completed by middle of next week.

I'm a little stumped on the right hand side board. My intention is to have a bridge or viaduct type feature here but I'm a little stuck on how to do the scenery area. Ideally I would like to have a river running under it but with this board also having to double as a small fiddle yard with storage behind the back scene. I feel the two loops will be so close to the back scene I'm struggling to imagine how the scene would look.

Do you think I should remove one of the sidings (BLUE) and extend the outer loop as shown by the dotted black line thus having a single road/track bridge/viaduct? Keeping in mind the boards at the bottom of the plan will only be used occasionally to complete the full roundy, roundy.

Your help and in site would be gratefully received.

BraedensNewlayoutSimplifiedlayout11111withdottedline.jpg

Best regards,

Mark

I am assuming the fiddle yard, as is, is between a backscene and a wall. If so it's not a good place to have it. Access to 'fiddle' will be extremely awkward.

Personally I would make Left, Right and Top 100% scenic with the bottom your storage roads.

Yes the fiddle is between the back scene and wall, I planned to make this removable. The laft side will be the three platform station with a street scene above covering about two thirds of the board. The top is the diesel yards (so we can display some of the stock and not have to lift it on and off constantly. I have put a couple of plans together with the fiddle being on the bottom three boards (being supported by trestles), but it will not always be practicle to set up and break down at every run session as this is in my sons bedroom, that's why I've tried to plan a wall hugger layout. The dimensions are 11.5' x 2' for the top boards, both left and right are 4.4' x 1.5' with the bottom boards 11.5' x 1'. Total dimensions 11.5 x 7.5'.

Best regards,

Mark

Archived