Impetus Sentinel Steam Shunter in 4mm

Oh, to hell with it..........!:)

Now I've got so many photo's I am going to build it.

Thank you so much for all who have posted. RMweb is truly an amazing resource for this hobby!!!!

But! I thought this was a steam loco????????? Or was it a Diesel?

Definetely steam. But to muddy the issue a lot of Sentinal steamers were converted to diesel by Sentinal firstly then Thomas Hill with new bodywork.

Looking forward to seeing this come together John.

Definitely steam, although the engine may appear to be more reminiscent of an i.c. engine as I believe it used cam-shafts and side valves.

Definitely steam, although the engine may appear to be more reminiscent of an i.c. engine as I believe it used cam-shafts and side valves.

A useful book for those interested in Sentinel loco's, which is sadly long out of print but appears occasionally 2nd hand is :- "Sentinel" Patent Locomotives and concrete cases., published by EP publishing Ltd. ISBN 0 85409 958 1.

It is a copy of Sentinels publicity book from the 1930's, lots of detailed drawings of the workings of most of the classes photographs of most types, including 2 crane loco's supplied to the LNER and photo's of cutaway models of the "Sentinel" Patent Engine that provided the power for them and their own patent vertical boiler which provided the steam. Also lots of glowing testimonials from satisfied customers!

One of my most treasured books along with my original glossy 1947 Beyer Garrat catalogue still in its original slip case. (the Garrat one was available as a very poor reprint a few years ago in the Festiniog Rly. shop at Porthmadog.)

Phil T.

Archived