Impetus Sentinel Steam Shunter in 4mm

These Impetus kits seem to have almost a cult reputation nowadays. Looking at this Sentinel kit I don't know why?:unsure: Seems average to say the least with a very agricultural chassis!!!

I was going to mothball this kit but as a well known magazine has commissioned a model of the prototype I thought I might as well build it.

I intend to, hopefully, use a small can Mashima motor and High Level gearbox in place of the open frame motor and chunky gears as suggested in the instructions.

Instructions are good and it looks to be very straightforward to build.

p4110001.jpg

I was going to mothball this kit but as a well known magazine has commissioned a model of the prototype I thought I might as well build it.p4110001.jpg

This is a different beastie from the Model Rail RTR commission. I seem to recall that it was used by the LMS on an obscure quarry tramway accessed by a cable incline - can't for the life of me remember the name but I've a feeling it was somewhere in Shropshire. EDIT - It was Clee Hill.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I was going to mothball this kit.

You could have ebayed it - there are plenty of RMWebbers who would have fought over it.

... and that is the reason why these relatively old kits are so sought after

... and like most agricultural machinery they can be made to work with no high brow skills :)

This is a different beastie from the Model Rail RTR commission. I seem to recall that it was used by the LMS on an obscure quarry tramway accessed by a cable incline - can't for the life of me remember the name but I've a feeling it was somewhere in Shropshire. EDIT - It was Clee Hill.

This one appears to be a 100hp BE engine, whereas the Model Rail commission is I believe the CE version. The LMS was just one of many customers for this type of loco, most of them private industrial customers. The Sentinel book I have shows a photo of one supplied to the Tottenham Gas Company.

Which Sentinel book is that please?

And how much of it covers Sentinel locomotives as opposed th their other products?

It's 'The Sentinel Volume 2 1930-1980', sadly out of print now and increasingly hard to find copies.

http://www.woodpecke...o.uk/Books.html

In fact the photo I mentioned about the Tottenham Gas Company is photo 7 on this page

http://www.woodpecke...volume%202.html

The books cover all their products, waggons, cars, railcars, buses, machinery etc. So between the two books probably three or four chapters, about 100 pages on the rail locos.

I think this is the same type of Sentinel. It's receiving a LOT of attention at British Tar Distillers works at Cadishead, Irlam, just west of Manchester. The bridge in the background carries the railway over the Manchester Ship Canal and the MSC's main line, from Salford to Latchford, runs through the arch on the right.

post-6861-0-03951500-1299068054_thumb.jpg

I think this is the same type of Sentinel. It's receiving a LOT of attention at British Tar Distillers works at Cadishead, Irlam, just west of Manchester. The bridge in the background carries the railway over the Manchester Ship Canal and the MSC's main line, from Salford to Latchford, runs through the arch on the right.

post-6861-0-03951500-1299068054_thumb.jpg

Yes! That looks like it. Thanks so much for posting the photo!

It's 'The Sentinel Volume 2 1930-1980', sadly out of print now and increasingly hard to find copies.

http://www.woodpecke...o.uk/Books.html

In fact the photo I mentioned about the Tottenham Gas Company is photo 7 on this page

http://www.woodpecke...volume%202.html

The books cover all their products, waggons, cars, railcars, buses, machinery etc. So between the two books probably three or four chapters, about 100 pages on the rail locos.

Thanks Adrian.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Gold

These Impetus kits seem to have almost a cult reputation nowadays. Looking at this Sentinel kit I don't know why?:unsure: Seems average to say the least with a very agricultural chassis!!!

I was going to mothball this kit but as a well known magazine has commissioned a model of the prototype I thought I might as well build it.

I intend to, hopefully, use a small can Mashima motor and High Level gearbox in place of the open frame motor and chunky gears as suggested in the instructions.

You could have ebayed it - there are plenty of RMWebbers who would have fought over it.

John - memory's going here - should I have reason to recognise the kit and bits in your photo?... :unsure: ;)

I thought you liked 'em simple?

...Instructions are good and it looks to be very straightforward to build....

...oh wait, hang on, you do! :lol:

John - memory's going here - should I have reason to recognise the kit and bits in your photo?... :unsure: ;)

Hi CK! Your memory has not quite gone to the wall yet!:D Yep, 'tis the very one!!

I am now reluctant to start it mind you. Because I thought it was the same as that 00 Dapol commissioned Sentinel which it turns out it isn't! Rare kits/loco's are my delight and I collect them! Thanks to all who posted if I find I just can't bring myself to cut up this irreplaceable fret! I might build an A2 kit I have instead. Little daughter of Tornado. Maybe I will name it 'Stiff Breeze'?:lol: A weekend chewing over what to do in Amsterdam will clear my mind no doubt!

4ft 9in actually. 19mm in 4mm scale. I was wondering if one of the 0-16.5 producers did anything suitable (or we could ask Holywood Foundry).

4ft 9ins-ish, there is well over 6inches of adjustment of the wheelbase to allow for the takeup of drive chain wear.

Phil T.

Archived