Hornby Old Stock!

mikeeyh

Hi,

I'm seriously looking at putting a canal onto my layout and looking at the Hornby lyddle end canal range, but checking on Ebay and Local Model Shops. I'm finding it extremly hard to come by some straights and curve sections (the lock and gates were easy and even mega cheap from Modelzone).

I'm currently on page 10 on a goolge search and it seems that no one has them in stock.

How often do Hornby do production runs, or is anybody aware of any shops with a dusty supply of them.

Cheers

I think they do them once and once only - no re-runs. It's something to do with the nature of the moulds they use.

Having got some megacheap from Modelzone implies that (a) they didn't sell too well at near-rrp, and (B) they've all gone!

This reasoning is also supported by the prices that some Lyddle End (and Scaledale) desirable items fetch on e-bay!

You may get lucky - someone, somewhere, may have them collecting dust in a stock room - and someone on here may just have seen some in a recent visit to an obscure local model shop.

Good luck!

Richard

• RMweb Premium

My strategy with any Hornby recent ish but hard to get item is to try toy shops rather than model shops, they tend to have a much slower turnover of model railway items. Expect to pay list price though!

Hi,

I'm seriously looking at putting a canal onto my layout and looking at the Hornby lyddle end canal range, but checking on Ebay and Local Model Shops. I'm finding it extremly hard to come by some straights and curve sections (the lock and gates were easy and even mega cheap from Modelzone).

I'm currently on page 10 on a goolge search and it seems that no one has them in stock.

How often do Hornby do production runs, or is anybody aware of any shops with a dusty supply of them.

Cheers

Ditto R4216A/B Mk2d TSO Blue Grey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Lyddle End range has been discontinued, the last additions to the range were in 2009 - there were no new additions in 2010. Some new stock of existing items appeared last year, but I'm not sure if they were 'true' re-runs or simply some older stock that had been discovered or shipped over.

Having said that, it seems to me that you've actually got the trickiest part of the setup already - the lock and gates. The straights and curves seem like the easier bits to model, plus if you use the Lyddle End ones you'll only have to find some way to disguise the joins between sections. What I would do is to employ the lock and gates, then make the rest of the canal yourself - just paint all the 'water' so it matches up, including repainting the water in the lock and gates sections.

Archived